Tarp
    AHE Toxaway:UGQ WD
    Insulation
    UGQ,KAQ,Tewa
    Suspension
    strap/buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gunner76 View Post
    I would be happy to share. Flo is big enough we have plenty for everyone.

Almost finish securing stuff in yard. Have to finish anchoring a free standing shed to ground, going to use some screw in ground anchors and ratchet straps and sacrifice a 300 ft roll of new straps I got recently. Then The Terminator and I are packing up so we can leave tomorrow and visit our youngest son.
    Glad y'all are bugging out! We faced that last year when Irma chugged through here. We decided to hunker down since it made landfall way below us. Scary thoughts. Facing a cat 4 is no fun. When it churned through here, I slept through most of it! Glad it was swift through us. No power for a week. Glad I had a camp chef stove and propane for the morning coffee!

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    Slept in the backyard for 5 days a few years ago with 3-4 days worth of rain from a tropical storm. Definitely different than a hurricane.

We had Hurricane Irma hit us last year but it weakened a lot before it hit us. If y'all didn't know, it made landfall first in the Keys and again in SouthWest Florida and then it traveled up the State and thru the Ocala National Forest were we got damage even this far North from landfall. Lost my perfect trees at Hidden Pond. Please be very careful and get away from ground zero.

And be careful after the storm because the trees can and will have unseen damage for quite some time after. Tree selection will be most important this upcoming hanging season.

Stay safe and see you down here for HanCon 2019 so you can tell us your stories around the fire.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Hammock
    DIY ROBIC
    Tarp
    OES MacCat SilPoly
    Insulation
    down bag, Klymit
    Suspension
    Kevlar+Str.Anchors
    I'm going on a work trip Thursday to western NC -- involves staying in a bunkhouse, so I'll be bringing my hammock in case these bunks turn out to be the typical tiny and uncomfortable things. Hoping for gentle rain. It's actually rather nice to sleep under a well-strung tarp in hurricane remnants!

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Glad to hear you are leaving, gunner76. Beaufort, North Carolina, does not look like the kind of place I would want to ride out a hurricane aiming almost straight at me!

When Hurricane Sandy hit New Jersey back in 2012, ground zero was theoretically about 87 miles south of us (though I'm not so sure about that). Hurricane Sandy had a 13 ft. storm surge, and Hurricane Florence looks like it could be up to a 20 ft. storm surge. All I know is, Hurricane Sandy put 4.5 feet of water in our living room! The storm surge carried stuff up to 1/4 mile inland (I know, because it also hit my favorite park, and I found stuff from the beach that far inland). Thank goodness the National Hurricane Center downgraded Sandy to a tropical storm shortly before landfall. New Jersey only got $36.8 billion dollars worth of damage, out of a nationwide total of $65 billion, the fourth most expensive hurricane (or tropical storm, if you will) in the history of the United States.

You are just not far enough from the expected landfall to try to weather this storm out, in my opinion. My family and I decided to stay at home for Hurricane Sandy (despite a mandatory evacuation), but I'm not sure I'd do that again, the next time a hurricane comes for us. My house is now elevated about 8 to 10 feet off the ground, thanks to FEMA, but I'm not even sure that's enough for a direct hit.

It will be interesting to see if the North Carolina legislature suddenly decides that global warming is real after Hurricane Florence. In 2012, they passed a law that barred policymakers and developers from using up-to-date climate science to plan for rising sea levels on the state's coast. North Carolina's coast is flat, wide and shallow, and storm surge is going to really have a dramatic effect on North Carolina. Personally, I think North Carolina may break the record for costliest Atlantic hurricane, beating out 2005's Hurricane Katrina and 2017's Hurricane Harvey (both at $125 billion).

Good luck!
    Last edited by SilvrSurfr; 09-11-2018 at 23:50.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    The news I've been reading says that Hurricane Florence is going to hit the coast, then stall, dumping 20 inches or more of rain in a short period of time. And all during that rain, the hurricane will continue to drive the water up the rivers and creeks - low tide will come, but the wind will keep the water backed up. Then the next high tide comes, and all that water from the previous high tide is still in the rivers. Expect massive flooding, which is going to add insult to injury.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Little bump to the south, but not much. She's a mean bish!

Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge
    Hope you guys all stay safe!

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    We are getting ready to leave in about 10 minutes so it may be awhile before I have computer access again. Made sure to pack some hammock gear for just in case. Since we are leaving we are letting some friend who are staying borrow our generator.

Everyone in the storms path, stay safe.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    Warbonnet Elderado
    Insulation
    Wookie Underquit
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    good luck Gunner76, stay safe!

Hammock
    Juniper or Walhalla
    Tarp
    Trailheadz winter
    Insulation
    20° Etherial
    Suspension
    Straps/Breeze buck
    Prayers and thought out to anyone in the way of this mess. Come on up to Kentucky, Daniel Boone Natl.forest has plenty of trees!!!

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast