Hammock
    Dream Hammock Raven D/L
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    0 and 30 Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles

LineLocs, D-Rings or Nothing For Tie-Outs?

I'm going to pull the trigger on a SLD Winter Haven and I'm going through the options... For the tie outs you can order LineLocs, D-Rings, or nothing (just the webbing). I'm looking for some input as I'm not sure which way to go here...

I'm not really interested in the LineLocs. On my current tarp I have small loops of shock cord attached to plastic D rings on the tarp. I like this as it gives some flex and is easy to set up (I use a taught line hitch to adjust).

My concern with the D-Rings would be that they are plastic (I'm assuming) and I camp in some very cold weather (-35 Celsius) so I'm concerned about them snapping in the cold.

Is there any issue with not using a D-Ring or LineLoc and just attaching a loop of shock cord to the webbing of the tarp, and attaching my line to that? I'm kind of leaning to this way based on how I plan on setting it up....

Thanks!

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair/WB XLC
    Tarp
    SLD Trail Haven
    Insulation
    HG, WB and WL
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Just me personally, but I love the line locs. Nice choice on the Winter Haven, you'll love it. Shoot Jared an e-mail and ask him about attaching the shock cord to the webbing. I don't think there would be an issue with it though. D-rings and line locs are attached to the tarp via the same webbing if I'm not mistaken, right?
    -Jameson
    Proud Member of the North Country Trail Association-Hiawatha Shore to Shore Chapter
    http://www.northcountrytrail.org/

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    I just use the grosgrain loops. Tie a small loop on one end of the cord, and larkshead it to the loop. On the stake, I use a marlin spike hitch, and stake it into the ground. No tension mechanism needed.

Hammock
    DIY 126 x 60 Tablecloth
    Tarp
    JRB 10 x 11
    Insulation
    New River/Owhyee
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    I'm a big fan of simple is better, and a bit of a knot purist, so I would opt for just the tie outs on the tarp with the shock cord larksheaded or looped through that.

But no, there is nor problem with having the hardware on there and then using the shock cord through the grosgrain if you like.
    "I aim to misbehave." - Capt. Mal Reynolds
    Mind of a Rat Youtube Channel

Hammock
    11 Ft Dutch Hexon 1.0 Sidezip
    Tarp
    12 ft HG Quest
    Insulation
    3/4 Phoenix20
    Suspension
    Spiderpolybeetles
    I like Jared's line locs.Also Dutch Tarp Worms and Flies.Love my Nama Gear hardware for the ridgeline,or a Dutch Wasp,or a NiteIze hook.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I don't like shock cord (and neither does winter). I just use a marlin spike hitch on the stakes.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

I'm a big fan of Jareds line locs and I have them on all 3 of my tarps from him, plus on the hot tent he built for me. Line locs are super simple and easy to use, even if you're wearing heavy gloves.

Heads up on the SLD website: he's going live this weekend with the new design and server change, so you may want to contact him directly when you place your order to make sure it came through ok. He's fast, so you should have your new tarp pronto.

Enjoy that new Winter Haven and make sure to post your thoughts and pictures in the recent SLD subforum that the mods created.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Raven D/L
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    0 and 30 Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Thanks guys! I've emailed him a few times and he's been great with his replies. Who would have thought a tarp would have so many options? It's like buying a car!

Buy what works for you...don't be concerned what the peanut gallery has to say. I'll also toss in the idea of having the pole mid. Mine is on the outside, but one of the guys at Green Timbers had the Winter Haven with the interior pole mod and it was amazing how much space it had. I think there's pics of it on the trip report thread.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Raven D/L
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    0 and 30 Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by michigandave View Post
    Buy what works for you...don't be concerned what the peanut gallery has to say. I'll also toss in the idea of having the pole mid. Mine is on the outside, but one of the guys at Green Timbers had the Winter Haven with the interior pole mod and it was amazing how much space it had. I think there's pics of it on the trip report thread.
    Yup my plan is to get all three internal poles. Not sure if I'll need all three but might as well get them while I'm ordering. Gives me the flexibility right? Jared had a great suggestion. He said that the Winter Haven comes with Line Locs included so why not get them and then if I don't like them I can always cut them off...Kind of a no-brainer! I might see if he'll just ship the Line Locs not attached that way I can attach them with a loop of shock cord and have that flexibility....I can try both ways...

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast