Towns-End
    Tarp
    WB, Towns-End, UGQ
    Insulation
    LSOH, JRB, UGQ
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckles
    Images
    Maybe a few closed minded, but I think most are just put off by the marketing. Flattest lay ever? It may be all that and a bag of chips, but I think since some already lay completely flat, you can’t get flatter. From what I’ve seen it appears to be a solid offering from a reputable company. Nothing more, nothing less. I hope it does well enough so that I’m tempted to try it down the road. Until then, I’ll just sleep in what works for me, and hope everyone else sleeps in what works for them. HYOH, we’ve all got our favorites.
    Hammock Tourist / Hammock Fiend / Hammock Therapist

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MrPickl View Post
    I've got one of the prototypes. And I was going to provide answers to any questions, but upon reading this thread I've realized that there's no room for a new manufacturer, even though they've been around for almost 10 years, trying something different and bringing it to market in a way that's unusual to others. This forum has given me some spectacular information over the last couple years. But you guys are so wrapped up in your own bashing cause they're not Dutch or they're not Dream then as the saying goes they ain't much. Innovation creates innovation. It's a shame because yea it looks like a gathered end. And I've got 7 gathered end hammocks and they all lay different.

Simply put this is the only gathered end that I've been able to fall asleep on either my side or stomach in all 4 directions.

Thanks for the closed minded comments in this thread. I feel dirty just reading it and I don't even work for SMr. Just a hanger that they asked for opinions along the way of their design process.
    Like I said early on, I found some of the negativity surprising. I ordered one, so I hope your experience will also be my experience. I will be surprised if it is, but you never know. I have tried a lot of different hammocks hoping for what you describe. Again, I found their quilts unique in a couple of ways that seem worth while to me. So you never know, it might be worth while. If not, it won't be the 1st time I have been disappointed, as has happened in the past when I tried some very highly rated hammocks. More than once they did not seem all that much better for me, occasionally not better at all, despite rave reviews. But I am hoping for a good result. Guess I will be waiting a while to find out.

BTW, how do you do in regards to calf ridge, if you are still reading this thread?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Peppy View Post
    Maybe a few closed minded, but I think most are just put off by the marketing. Flattest lay ever? It may be all that and a bag of chips, but I think since some already lay completely flat, you can’t get flatter. From what I’ve seen it appears to be a solid offering from a reputable company. Nothing more, nothing less. I hope it does well enough so that I’m tempted to try it down the road. Until then, I’ll just sleep in what works for me, and hope everyone else sleeps in what works for them. HYOH, we’ve all got our favorites.
    I agree that I am not likely to get any flatter than I am in my bridges. As you say, how can you get flatter than flat? So their marketing might be a bit exaggerated in that regard. But I don't really care. I just care if they can actually get as flat as my bridge, and just as free of calf ridge(I'll believe it when I see it), without a need for spreaders and the tarp adjustments that go with them, and maybe more room for my knees when fetal but without a need for even wider spreader bars. If they actually can do that, I'll be surprised and happy and totally forgiving of their excessive enthusiasm for their product vs every one else. We will see.

Hammock
    Towns-End
    Tarp
    WB, Towns-End, UGQ
    Insulation
    LSOH, JRB, UGQ
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    I agree that I am not likely to get any flatter than I am in my bridges. As you say, how can you get flatter than flat? So their marketing might be a bit exaggerated in that regard. But I don't really care. I just care if they can actually get as flat as my bridge, and just as free of calf ridge(I'll believe it when I see it), without a need for spreaders and the tarp adjustments that go with them, and maybe more room for my knees when fetal but without a need for even wider spreader bars. If they actually can do that, I'll be surprised and happy and totally forgiving of their excessive enthusiasm for their product vs every one else. We will see.
    If they can do it, all I’ll say is wow, and eat a little crow. Crow is good on occasion, just a reminder we can be wrong. If they pull it off, I’ll have one please with my crow...
    Hammock Tourist / Hammock Fiend / Hammock Therapist

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    I've got one of the prototypes. And I was going to provide answers to any questions, but upon reading this thread I've realized that there's no room for a new manufacturer, even though they've been around for almost 10 years, trying something different and bringing it to market in a way that's unusual to others. This forum has given me some spectacular information over the last couple years. But you guys are so wrapped up in your own bashing cause they're not Dutch or they're not Dream then as the saying goes they ain't much. Innovation creates innovation. It's a shame because yea it looks like a gathered end. And I've got 7 gathered end hammocks and they all lay different.

Simply put this is the only gathered end that I've been able to fall asleep on either my side or stomach in all 4 directions.

Thanks for the closed minded comments in this thread. I feel dirty just reading it and I don't even work for SMr. Just a hanger that they asked for opinions along the way of their design process.
    Kickstarter is full of best ever and first ever things that are just iterations of what’s been done before. I don’t believe the hype until I’ve tested it myself. Many lose money on products that are delivered. You’ve had hands on so sure give us your thoughts. And bring it to some group hangs so others can weigh in.

Btw... I have no issue with SMR. Great HYOY podcast if folks don’t know much about them.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

I for one would love to hear your report and feedback on it because I love hammocks.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Banshee / Chameleon
    Tarp
    TrailHeadz Topo
    Insulation
    CRO / JRB /TH
    Suspension
    Autumn Ultralight
    Ok Since I've hung with Tall Paul and I've gained so much wisdom from Shugs Videos' I'll give my opinion so far.

Facts - I have the first prototype, which I purchased, and one of the final prototypes which are on loan, until the final product comes in. I'm 6' and 200-lbs. The hammock is 11' by 69". A Fully removable bugnet that has 4 pullout fins on the net. These fins are designed to attach to their Stratos Fly and to help spread out the netting on while loaded. It does open up the interior. The clips also connect successfully to my Hanger 12 and winter tarp corner pullouts. Their new fabric is said to be on par with 1.0 hexon weight wise but withstood a load of 16, 80lb bags of concrete and Richard, the owner jumping on it before it actually broke. I'm accepting this as fact as it was done on a live video and the guys then showed up to camp for a whitewater rafting trip in the NC mountains with myself. It's all we spoke about. Sierra Madre is a trying to cater to a new to hammocks market as their research has shown is their primary audience. The fact that the Ninox has none of the typical hammock fidgeting, no learning how to use a whoppie, no knots, no fidgeting with a CRL for the tarp.

Assumptions - The Tesalon 3 fabric is silky smooth and isn't overly stretchy. Their associated tarp will have enough coverage for a heavy rainstorm.

Likes - Their head and foot pocket cause me for once to not want a pillow under my neck. The lay is flatter than what I've achieved in my Chameleon, a Sparrow, lightyear more comfortable than an XLC. It is not flatter than a Ridgerunner, but I don't get that Pawley's Island if I move I'm going for a spinning ride feeling that I get in bridges. I honestly like their spin on the double ended stuff sack adding space for the straps helps keep everything together and the grommet allows for the hammock to hang safely during setup. I'm able to dial in the ridgeline in while laying in the hammock. Sierra Madre has closed that little hole where the "triangle thingy" meets the continuous loop. This is the first hammock including the above that I've fallen asleep on my side and woke up on my stomach, and that was the first night which is ALWAYS my worst night in a hammock.

Dislikes - If the ridgeline isn't at the right length then there's a terrible calf ridge, but I've experienced that in every hammock I've ever played in. The jury is still out on the strap ridgeline as opposed to lash-it.

OK, I'm over 500 words for this post. I think I'll leave it here but please look for my full review on Gear-report.com once I get the production model come next April.
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs. I am haunted by waters.”
    ― Norman Maclean

Hammock
    DIY Poly D or Robic XL
    Tarp
    DIY Winter w/doors
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    Beetle or DIY Hook

The cause for a closed mind is usually ignorance and scepticism. The best way to cure it is education. On this forum that education is best served by an honest and unrestricted review.
    SMRs approach to marketing may be a negative for many on this forum but for their target market of Kickstarter patrons it may be just what they need. Obviously it is working for them as they met their goal easily. If they wanted to truley reach those on this forum then I am sure their approach would have been different.
    If you have a hammock in hand the best thing you could do for SMR on this forum is to provide an honest and unbiased review of their product. The base level of education for most on this forum is much higher than those of the mass Kickstarter target market. It is not enough to see a simple 3 minute rehearsed bullet point presentation for this group. It is almost insulting their level of understanding. Maybe a 10-18 minute honest review would be better served here. A touch of entertainment can't hurt..
    As an engineer I believe hypotheses and bullet points are only a starting point for the more in depth data producing testing. The data will be the best tool for making an educated decision not the predetermined bullet points.
    Many on this forum are simply asking for the data and test methods that support the bullet points that SMR asked the reviewers to use.
    BTW I am not one to jump on any bandwagon that I have not formed my own opinion of first. I do have cottage made gear and a lot of DIY gear. I like some things about my cottage gear and there are some things that I find in testing that do not support the broad claims. I think that the "flatest lay" claim on this product will be one of those that will require actual individual testing and there will be as many opinions as their hammocks.
    HYOH.
    Outdoors > Indoors
    I love me some XeroShoes
    “An optimist is a man who plants two acorns and buys a hammock.” ― Jean de Lattre de Tassigny

Hammock
    DIY Poly D or Robic XL
    Tarp
    DIY Winter w/doors
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    Beetle or DIY Hook
    Ok Since I've hung with Tall Paul and I've gained so much wisdom from Shugs Videos' I'll give my opinion so far.
    Thank you for that. This is more of what I was looking for in my original post.
    I am intrigued by the material comments. One of my favorite hammocks is my DIY Hexon 1.0. A soft feel with just the right amount of stretch for me.
    Outdoors > Indoors
    I love me some XeroShoes
    “An optimist is a man who plants two acorns and buys a hammock.” ― Jean de Lattre de Tassigny

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    DIY Xen Sil winter
    Insulation
    WB Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Spigyver on fb said it clearly...

Great hammock - very comfy!

Also let his review and comments on fb he has other gathered end hammocks he finds even more comfortable...those also are facts that seem in line with what one likely will expect given what the product looks like

That reviews and those comments seem balanced - reasonable - even make me wanna buy this hammock

These comments also highlight for me how hyped up the marketing clearly is

Many of us will be fans of the product and find the marketing anathema - so what

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.”

• + New Posts
  • Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast