Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Is there a place to research UltraLight Hammock setups?

Hello all,

One of the first times I ever posted on HF was when I was planning for a long hike and wanting to figure out if an "all-in-one" setup was possible for a rapid deployment of hammock, bugnet, and tarp. Since then, I've been sticking around and lurking, reading, learning, spending .... The answer to my original question seemed to be "yes" and folks pointed me toward snakeskins and the like. Now, I'm trying to think of the different components that I would be stuffing in a snake skin and figuring out what an Ultralight, fast deployment setup would look like.

So, is there a place I should be researching for UL kits? I want to make sure I'm abiding by the right etiquette.

My initial thought is to start with something like a chameleon and working with the integrated pieces to make it work in a very efficient way. Perhaps there are other options I should look at. I guess I'm looking for hammock, bug net, and tarp. A small UQ would be nice, but I also may end up using a lightweight camping pad. Space and weight are very much a concern, along with ease and quickness of deployment.

Thanks for any advice!

-jon

Even thought the Chameleon is an extremely versatile modular system, I tend to think of it as a hammock with an integrated top. I say that ONLY because there is a sewn-on zipper half on each side that begs for some sort of top. Of course, you can leave any top at home but you will still have the zipper. As it happens, hammocks with fully (or almost fully) zippered bug nets are what I happen to prefer. What I'm getting at is that, as great as this hammock (and a few others) is (are), it isn't the lightest option if that is your goal. Light: yes, ultralight: not quite so much. I think the lightest combo would be a single layer netless hammock and a Fronkey-style net. I could be wrong: maybe those zipper halves don't weigh more than the extra netting in a Fronkey (?)

The minimalist tarp would be an asym, the lightest being dyneema composite. Adding some ounces takes you into hex tarp territory.

A down UQ (3/4?) is going to be far lighter and more compact than a pad and will almost certainly outperform one.

I suppose the most "rapid deployment" would come from a hammock with both the netting and fly (tarp) being integrated! Wouldn't be very versatile and probably not ultralight.
    Last edited by TominMN; 08-15-2018 at 15:32.

Hammock
    DH TB #1832; DW Chameleon; DIYs
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    LL20°GP/LH,SLD,DIY
    Suspension
    Amsteel/web/bling
    Images
    TominMN has solid advice above.

I'm don't take an UL approach, but I wouldn't consider the Chameleon to among the best ul options. I absolutely love both my Chameleon and Dream Hammock Thunderbird, but even I wouldn't consider them ultralight.

On the hammock side of things, if you need the net, perhaps also consider a Dream Hammock Darien, Dutchware Half-Wit or Half-Zipped. Depending on options, these can shave off weight for someone really looking to do so. All are easy to use.

Of course the hammock suspension is yet another area to look at in terms of balancing versatility and weight.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Dutchware Half Wit (Hexon 1.0), Venom straps (J-bend to CL), HG hex tarp 11ft (incl guylines), EE Revelation 50 deg, EE Revolt 40 deg = 2.66 lb all up.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Dutchware 11' netless
    Tarp
    SLD Trail Haven
    Suspension
    Myerstech dyneema
    If weight is your priority:
    - Suspension: UHWMPE straps (like Venom straps, or Spider 2.0, or Myerstech Dyneema) tied with a becket hitch to the hammock. About 2-3oz. Hummingbird Hammocks makes really light suspensions too.
    - Hammock: You can get lighter by sacrificing comfort (Sea 2 Summit, Hummingbird), but an 11' 1.0-1.2 weight hammock fabric (Hexon 1.0, Robic 1.2) in 11' length is about 8-10oz (netless, with ridgeline).
    - Bugnet: the difference between "fronkey" pull-over style and sewn/zipped in is about 2oz, so not much. Either way they'll add about 7oz to your hammock.
    - Tarp: cuben fiber, obviously. Aside from that, UGQ's "membrane" seems super duper light.
    - Insulation: UQ is nicest but often heavier than a pad unless it's a 50 degree 3/4 length (Loco Libre Operator for instance). A ZLite or xTherm pad is about 12 ounces.

As far as making it super quick deploy... that whole setup I've described isn't too bad. Having a nice adjustable/easy ridgeline for your tarp helps. A hammock with integrated net is faster to set up if you need a bugnet. A diamond/asym tarp has two fewer stakes to pitch. A ZLite pad has zero setup time, faster than an underquilt. "Lazy Slug Tube" and the like can act like a jumbo snakeskin and swallow your hammock + UQ I believe, but that adds weight. And instead of using a becket hitch, you can make things a little faster by using hardware like dutch clips, but that also adds weight. You could pair a setup using straps with dutch clips and buckles, and use a double-ended stuff sack or lazy slug tube to VERY quickly deploy or stuff in and leave, but that could mix tree sappy straps with your hammock, and it adds weight.

Do whatever you want with the above information. I tend to make it lightweight and not overly complex, but I lean towards "light and simple" rather than "extremely fast"

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    There is no place on this forum dedicated to ultra light gear. There are all in one set ups out there but they are not light weight. You will have to piece together your set up from different vendors

Lots of variables to consider....

How tall are you and how much do you weigh....a UL hammock that would work for my wife would not work for me.

Bug net....if it is going to be buggy then get an integrated bug net, easier to use and will weight less....Look at the Warbonnet Eldorado.

What time of the year will you be using it.... Colder weather requires UQs and TQs that are going to weigh more.....and once again...a TQ and UQ that would work for my wife would not work for me. A 3/4 UQ for my wife is more like a full length for her and for me it just a 3/4 length. A higher fill / loft down like 950 fill will weigh a bit less that 850 fill but cost more and only save you a few grams. There have been extensive discussions on the forum on this subject.

Tarps....you can go with an a Diamond or asymmetrical tarp but they tend to be iffy in heavy rains or snow storms. If you want a very light weight tarp and excellent coverage then get a Winter Palace Cuban tarp from Hammock Gear...just be prepared for the sticker shock.

I use hammocks when camping out because of the great sleep I get hanging above the ground. While I try to pack as light as possible, I pack for the conditions I expect to encounter on that trip which means I may take very light weight gear when it is warmer and or no rain expected or take the weight penalty and carry the heavier gear to keep me warm in the snow and or high winds/rain.

If you have not attended a group hang then you have committed one of the biggest mistakes you can make by not taking advantage of being able to check out other folks setup, psychically see an touch the gear and talk to them about why they choose the rig they did.

welcome to the dark side of camping and go watch all of Shug's videos
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    yes please
    Tarp
    HG cuben w/ doors
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Phoenix
    Suspension
    kevlar straps
    is there a place to research UL setups? Yes. right here.

Dutchware Gear Half-Zipped Hexon 1.0 with continuous loops
    12.8 oz
    Dutchware Gear Spider Web 1.5 12' straps becket hitched to hammock
    1.5 oz
    Hammock Gear Dyneema Fiber Hex Tarp 11ft ridgeline
    5.14 oz
    Loco Libre Operator 50 degree TQ
    10.5 oz
    Loco Libre Operator 50 degree UQ
    8.7 oz

Total 38.64 oz, 2.41 pounds.

If 1.0 hammock fabric is too light for you, an upgrade to 1.6 hexon will add 3.2 oz to total setup for a total of 2.62 pounds.
    40 degree quilts will add another couple ounces too if you need extra warmth rating.
    I did not add the weight of tarp suspension, guylines, and stakes. You will need those items regardless of what tarp you choose. 4 stakes, ridgeline suspension and 4 guylines should add about 2 ounces to total.

In summary 2.5 pound setups that offer supreme comfort are very easy to do. I suppose you could shave down into the low 2.0's if you sacrifice some comfort.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    Dutchware Half Wit (Hexon 1.0), Venom straps (J-bend to CL), HG hex tarp 11ft (incl guylines), EE Revelation 50 deg, EE Revolt 40 deg = 2.66 lb all up.
    This^^^^^^^

I'm a Half Wit fan as well. DIY here. Single line suspension. I don't yet own a CF tarp, so I'll go Asym.

Sent from somewhere east of Montauk...
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    Half-wit (3 season), Chameleon (win
    Tarp
    Superfly, Thunderf
    Insulation
    EE Revelation 20*,
    Suspension
    Whoopie!
    Quote Originally Posted by MikekiM View Post
    This^^^^^^^

I'm a Half Wit fan as well. DIY here. Single line suspension. I don't yet own a CF tarp, so I'll go Asym.

Sent from somewhere east of Montauk...
    Another vote for the Half-Wit. For summer UL I pair this with 40* a 3/4 underquilt and topquilt of your choice and use a lazy slug. A mesh slug is less weight than the combined weight of stuff sacks for UQ, TQ and Hammock and make setup a snap. Take down is near effortless as well. Pull the slug over all three as they hang, release one end, and start stuffing directly into the compactor bag inside your backpack. Tarp is personal preference for how much coverage you want, but obviously if you can afford it Dynema is the way to go.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast