HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    So perhaps involve the girl in the food shopping and planning. She may dislike beef *unamercian* Also ask what she like to do besides computers and phones Read a book? Learn how to build a fire? Tie knots? Play board games?
    Deb
    TOS Terms of Service Link
    Guidelines to New For Sale Section Link
    How to obtain access & maintain your threads in For Sale Section Link
    Guidelines for Want to Buy (WTB) Section
    Hammock Acronyms

"The older I get, the more I appreciate my rural childhood. I spent a lot of time outdoors, unsupervised, which is a blessing." Barbara Kingsolver

Hammock
    Chameleon,Yukon double
    Tarp
    DIY RSBTR Winter
    Insulation
    mix of Hg & DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Thanks for the additional ideas. I told her mom to have her download an audio book, or some music to her phone and bring some earbuds for when she goes to sleep to help drown out the sounds of nature at night.
    Food wise, went with my daughter last night, but got approval from her friend on everything. No problems there, she couldn't believe I was getting steaks for dinner.
    Thinking about getting a few glow sticks for them too. Figure before they go to bed, tie one to the privy door, then one on the outside of their tarp. that way if either one of them get up in the middle of the night to use the facilities it would be easier for them to find their way back and forth. The first time I took my daughter out that was my only fear, her getting up in the middle of the night and getting lost walking back to the hammock. I am a ridiculously deep sleeper and would never hear if she got up in the middle of the night.

Hammock
    11' SLD Lair
    Tarp
    SLD and HG WP
    Insulation
    HG UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hangdang View Post
    I know I had to look for ways to make my wife feel more comfortable, in her case I had two issues the first being she was good up until night time didn't like the boogeyman thing and the second being closed up in a hammock.

So I think it may help to get a better idea of why she's apprehensive. It probably won't work for you but I told my wife to wake me up anytime she need to go to the bathroom during the night, that seem to help. As far as the hammock goes I got her a night light it helped quite a bit.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
    I agree. Also, little adjustment to hammock or quilts can make a big difference.
    Make sure they aren't afraid to wake you and make the adjustments. Hate to
    hear about a poor nights sleep because they didn't tell you so you could make
    simple adjustment. Sons friend slept cold because quilt slipped and he didn't
    want to wake me and say he was cold.

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ohoopee View Post
    I agree. Also, little adjustment to hammock or quilts can make a big difference.
    Make sure they aren't afraid to wake you and make the adjustments. Hate to
    hear about a poor nights sleep because they didn't tell you so you could make
    simple adjustment. Sons friend slept cold because quilt slipped and he didn't
    want to wake me and say he was cold.
    This^^
    I put my daughters friend in a 0* UQ (temps got down to 32*) with instructions to wake me if she got cold and it would be no problem at all. Stressed it a couple times.

I ask how her night was and she admitted to being cold. I found out she put some gear between the hammock and UQ when she went to bed, creating a big gap. And for whatever reason she didn’t wake me.

Hammock
    DIY 126 x 60 Tablecloth
    Tarp
    JRB 10 x 11
    Insulation
    New River/Owhyee
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    Have a plan to go to ground for her if needed. When introducing someone new to the outdoors I always take a small solo tent and ground pad. I know it is sacrilege to say this, but not everyone is comfortable in a hammock the first time and that could last a few nights. There is nothing worse for a newbie (or an oldie for that matter) than a lousy night's sleep.

Beyond that, you already have some good recommendations.
    "I aim to misbehave." - Capt. Mal Reynolds
    Mind of a Rat Youtube Channel

Hammock
    Half-wit (3 season), Chameleon (win
    Tarp
    Superfly, Thunderf
    Insulation
    EE Revelation 20*,
    Suspension
    Whoopie!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rat View Post
    Have a plan to go to ground for her if needed. When introducing someone new to the outdoors I always take a small solo tent and ground pad. I know it is sacrilege to say this, but not everyone is comfortable in a hammock the first time and that could last a few nights. There is nothing worse for a newbie (or an oldie for that matter) than a lousy night's sleep.

Beyond that, you already have some good recommendations.
    I completely agree here. For my daughters I started them in a tent just to get them comfortable with sleeping outdoors. Now the oldest wants to hang after trying it at camp. I feel that because getting a Hammock system set right involves a bit of tweaking, trying to learn it in the field can be difficult, even more so if it’s their first time sleeping in the wilderness.

Senior Member Tyroler Holzhacker's Avatar
    Hammock
    DH DL Sparrow/SL Darien
    Tarp
    MacCat/WBSuperfly
    Insulation
    LL/JRB/DIY down
    Suspension
    MSH/Whoopies/strps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TxAggie View Post
    I completely agree here. For my daughters I started them in a tent just to get them comfortable with sleeping outdoors. Now the oldest wants to hang after trying it at camp. I feel that because getting a Hammock system set right involves a bit of tweaking, trying to learn it in the field can be difficult, even more so if it’s their first time sleeping in the wilderness.
    Amen Tex! hanging practice/tweaking is something ideally learned at home prior to entering the unforgiving boondocks. This will ensure CBS doesn't happen...

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mbal1856 View Post
    Thanks for the ideas. I'm taking my daughter food shopping tonight and start packing too. Looking forward to the trip.
    So, how did it go?

Hammock
    Chameleon,Yukon double
    Tarp
    DIY RSBTR Winter
    Insulation
    mix of Hg & DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    So a quick update:
    Everyone survived. Girls had fun hiking, collecting wood and playing with the fire and sleeping in the hammocks. They said they did get a little cold overnight, but they slept well. My daughter's friend was excited we were having steak for dinner. I froze a bunch of steaks in zip lock bags then made little cozy's for them out of reflectix to keep them cold. Worked great, actually too good, steaks were still partially frozen when I was ready to cook. But they turned out good. They made smores over the fire and just snacked all afternoon. Only thing that got them nervous was hearing the coyotes howling right after dinner and again around 5 am. Told them not to worry with the echoing in the hills, the coyotes were probably much farther away than they sound, plus the bears usually scare them away.

Also, saw a couple guys walk down the trail past the lean-to we were staying at and stayed at the old Stony brook lean-to. One of them stopped by in the morning to see if we were staying a second night, because of the rain coming in, they wanted to try and stay at the new one where we were staying. Told him, we were leaving, but I wish he stopped by last night. We weren't using the lean-to since we were in hammocks, so it was still free, we were just using the picnic table and firepit. Guy had a little dog that the girls loved to play with and I would have had some adult companions for the night. Plus the girls got a little nervous hearing strangers walking through the site at night to use the outhouse and get water.
    Overall I would say the trip was a success. I think my daughters friend would go again, maybe next time more in the middle of the summer so they don't get cold. Think it was in the mid 40's when I woke up in the morning.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mbal1856 View Post
    plus the bears usually scare them away.

Overall sounds like a pretty successful adventure with the kiddos. Good on you, sir.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast