Dutch
    Tarp
    HG Quest
    Insulation
    20/-20Wooki, LL0*
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Quote Originally Posted by WoodlandNightHawk View Post
    Hey folks, I'm grabbing my bootstraps and pulling up, out of lurking mode. I have tarp functionality questions.

I'm considering buying a Hammock Gear Winter Palace tarp. The questions revolve around whether to get the 11' or 12' version. The reason I'm considering this tarp is for longer hikes, possibly the entire AT, and I like the idea of lighter weight, great coverage, doors, etc. I have both 10' & 11' hammocks, which I use interchangably. Cost isn't a major limitation.

First question: Reviews say the tarp can be "tight" for space in terms of length. The recommendation by one reviewer said that if using an 11' hammock, get the 12' tarp. Anyone out there using an 11' hammock with 11' tarp? What is your recommendation?

Second question: I realize that, if using the 10' hammock with a 12' tarp, the tarp needs to be pitched higher. Will this combination make it difficult to extend the tarp all the way to the ground while still having some head room? I'm over 6', and I hate being bent (way) over inside the tarp.

Third question: I have a dog that typically sleeps under my hammock, especially in bad weather. Pulling the sides down to the ground is important when there's high wind and driving rain. What will that be like with the 10' hammock & 12' tarp combination?

TIA for any input.
    You can't go wrong with the Winter Palace. The best, in my opinion. I'd go for the bigger tarp - you won't go wrong going bigger.

11f tarp with doors will be able to handle just about any situation and is lighter than a 12f.

That being said I still bought a 12f tarp myself (UGQ winter dream).

Weight is a little less important for me since I mostly Canoe camp with at most around 6km of portages per day.
    I hate having a tarp pitched directly over my hammock ridgeline, I like a little more space, don't like being crouched over under the tarp. Also even though i bought a tarp with doors on MOST nights I have the tarp high and the doors pinned back (like a hex tarp) unless I know for a fact the weather is going to be bad. So since I tend to almost always have the tarp high and open I like the extra foot of coverage incase of unexpected sideways rain in the middle of the night.

12f doesn't hurt for ridgerunner too but my main hammock is a BB XLC (11f gathered end).

I had a 12 foot HG Standard cuben fiber tarp with doors but did not like the 12 foot length. I set up my tarps using "the vee" and run the hammock straps down the middle. With the 12 footer, at my preferred 14-15 foot span, the extra length on the tarp interfered with the straps. I'm gonna buy another HG tarp at 11 feet but I'm torn between getting the standard cuben with doors or the dynema palace. Any suggestion/opinions would be appreciated.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex Clifton View Post
    I had a 12 foot HG Standard cuben fiber tarp with doors but did not like the 12 foot length. I set up my tarps using "the vee" and run the hammock straps down the middle. With the 12 footer, at my preferred 14-15 foot span, the extra length on the tarp interfered with the straps. I'm gonna buy another HG tarp at 11 feet but I'm torn between getting the standard cuben with doors or the dynema palace. Any suggestion/opinions would be appreciated.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk
    My first cuben fiber tarp was the HG standard. At that time, HG had only made one Winter Palace (for WaterMonkey) and they told me it was too much work and wouldn't make me one. So I bought the HG standard.

I took it out in plenty of weather and found it lacking in protection. I often got wet because of wind-blown precipitation coming underneath the tarp. I wasn't happy. About six months after I bought the tarp, I saw that HG was selling Winter Palaces. I called Adam and, before I could even start griping, he said to send the tarp back and he'd upgrade it to a Winter Palace. "I don't want to hear your crap!" he said, or something to that effect.

I have been extremely happy with the Winter Palace - I've never, ever gotten wet. It's the tarp of my dreams.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    I have an 11’ HG tarp with doors. I use 11’ Hammocks. And I have a dog.
    I haven’t found a need for a 12’ tarp.
    Especially if you are considering the AT - 11’ is a bit lighter and less bulky.

Hammock
    SLD Tree Runner 10'
    Tarp
    SLD Trail Haven
    Insulation
    EE UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Huggers/Dutch
    Quote Originally Posted by TominMN View Post
    I'm surprised, with you being 6'+, that you find a 10' hammock to be comfortable. More power to you if it works!
    Side sleeper, fetal position - primarily. I often feel swallowed in the 11' hammock, but I like it equally compared to the 10'.

Quote Originally Posted by Caminante View Post
    Note that this also means setting up the tarp with the sides at a steeper angle, so less room inside with the sides tighter to your hammock.
    This setup would be the foul weather exception, not the rule. I go out solo a lot, the dog has become my second set of eyes & ears.

Hammock
    11' SLD Lair
    Tarp
    SLD and HG WP
    Insulation
    HG UQ
    Images
    [QUOTE=Rex Clifton;1916953]I had a 12 foot HG Standard cuben fiber tarp with doors but did not like the 12 foot length. I set up my tarps using "the vee" and run the hammock straps down the middle. With the 12 footer, at my preferred 14-15 foot span, the extra length on the tarp interfered with the straps. I'm gonna buy another HG tarp at 11 feet but I'm torn between getting the standard cuben with doors or the dynema palace. Any suggestion/opinions would be appreciated.

I have a HG WP and a Zpacks tarp with doors. The WP does it with less preparation and planning. Both work great but would choose the WP over the cuben with door Just for the ease of use and the better overall coverage for most conditions.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    HG CF 11ft Palace
    Insulation
    Yeti3,HG20º,UGQ50º
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    I used the HG 11 ft Palace over the WBBB for my 2018 Thru Hike. I never wanted or needed the 12 footer. Just the opposite, in the Whites, some established camp spots are tight and finding trees further apart could take time and effort. I am also 6 ft tall and don’t like to bend to much. However, I did put the Tarp at eye level to get it low and wide in storm mode. I usually closed the head end doors for privacy and increased darkness to sleep better. The slightly lighter weight is important in long distant hiking. P.S. In early snow storms, I felt the 11 ft was “tighter and held in some heat while keeping out snow and sleet - may just be an opinion more than fact though!
    "gbolt" on the Trail
    We are here to help one another along life's journey. Keep the Faith!
    YouTubeChannel. [https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCik...NPHW7vu3vhRBGA]

Hammock
    11 Ft Dutch Hexon 1.0 Sidezip
    Tarp
    12 ft HG Quest
    Insulation
    3/4 Phoenix20
    Suspension
    Spiderpolybeetles
    I have an 11 foot HG Winter Palace with doors.I can make a 10 or 11 foot netless Dutch hammock work fine.I prefer the 10 foot with it unless I want more comfort and go with the 11.That said,in summer I really like a 12 foot tarp and I have two of them.One is the HG Quest and the other a SLD Hexon wide tarp.The SLD tarp will take the sides practically to the ground with plenty of overhang over the ends too.The 11 foot tarps fit between trees better and maybe you wouldn't think a foot would matter but often it has for me.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    12' tarps.. one with doors and one without.

11' hammocks.. all of them.

Never had a problem.
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast