UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ-HG/KAQ UQ
    Suspension
    Kevlar/Ti CinchBkl
    Images
    This:

Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    She just couldn't fathom why I wanted to go camping alone, and I couldn't fathom why she thought I should go camping with someone else.
    I am an olny child and a true introvert. I really dislike groups of people. The only person I backpack with is my best friend of 42 years. We met when we were six. I can tolerate him by now. So I spend most of my time in the woods alone, by choice. As Ron Swanson said:

friends-one-to-three-is-sufficient-quote-1.jpg

When alone I generally just do things slowly. In warmer weather I'm not hiking until 8 pm (an hour from dark) so I usually have several hours of nothing to do and plent of daylight. I usually use my woodburning Solo Stove and enjoy the process of building a small fire. I take time setting my gear up and storing things.. I take time to get my chair super-comfortable. I cook slowly and let food cool before I eat it. I maintain a small fire that needs frequent feeding. I read magazines. If the terrain is easy I might bring some extra stuff like boot grease, and I'll take the time to clean and re-grease my boots if it's not raining. I can open and re-organize my emergency repair kit again.

Or as an introvert used to being alone sometimes I will plop into the hammock, close my eyes, and listen. To the wind or rain or a stream. Whatever. I rarely get the chance to do nothing for extended periods, so I relish the chance when I have it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Men hang out their signs indicative of their respective trades; shoe makers hang out a gigantic shoe; jewelers a monster watch, and the dentist hangs out a gold tooth; but up in the Mountains of New Hampshire, God Almighty has hung out a sign to show that there He makes men.
    - Daniel Webster

Banned
    Hammock
    Dutch
    Tarp
    HG Quest
    Insulation
    20/-20Wooki, LL0*
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Solo camping is the best. The only danger is you may find you like it more solo than coming back to the wife, kids, bla bla bla. In this world we live in today, we are under constant distraction - like dope. Take that distraction away and you have to look at who you really are - a horror for most Americans.

Hammock
    Argon 11 ft or HH BKUL
    Tarp
    Asym DIY Pole Mod
    Insulation
    DIY, Jarbrige,HHSS
    Suspension
    Lashings
    Images
    You just need to do what interests you.
    I don't 'pound miles' because I'm too old for it. But I do like to trout fish in the spring and waterfall explore in the fall (along with leaf peeping). I prefer one nighters when soloing where I can go very light weight thus I do not usually have a base camp. I do sometimes camp with friends at a base camp, but will take my solo day/night out from the base camp.

I pondered what Shug did during the days when it was -40F out, but then I realized he must have spent all day gathering wood and staying near a fire just to survive. So basically, what do you like to do and start out 1 night at a time.
    Enjoying the simple things in life -
    Own less, live more.

Hammock
    Half-Wit/Dangerbird, Darien..
    Tarp
    Superfly/Minifly
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Burrow
    Suspension
    Woopie Sling
    I go out solo,because I do,.,.,. I just listen to mother nature and think a lot..... Set up camp first, then gather wood for fire and make fire....... Then I fix my food and eat....... Then I sit back and enjoy the quit....... If I have a view I will watch clouds go by........ There is nothing out there that will harm you except your mind..... IMG_4556.jpg

Hammock
    GE ; RR ; Vertex ; Tentsile
    Tarp
    HG Cubens W/ doors
    Insulation
    Yeti, Wookis, Lynx
    Suspension
    dyneema strap/ring
    Images
    All the answers here show how much their authors appreciate nature. They put me to shame as to what I could add as useful information. All I can say is that I used to bring a book but eventually figured I did not have more than one or two opportunities to open it briefly throughout a week outdoors, so I now cautiously leave it at home. In the worse case scenario, we now have our cellphones and can log into the hammock forums (if network is available, which is generally the case in my country).

In reality, I never have enough camp time. Sometimes it occurred that I was so busy trying a new recipe or building snowshoes, that it was no longer worth breaking camp and I stayed one more night there.
    Last edited by Rouskof; 09-06-2018 at 07:15.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Mammjamba
    Insulation
    Wookie
    Suspension
    Webbing
    I'm out more by myself and have not "hiked" with others in years. Family in a pop up excepted. When alone I hike slow. Often less than 1 Kilometre per hour. The times goes by watching flora and fauna. I'll set up early and read and give thanks for how much lighter an e-reader is than the books from years ago (yes books, can't have to many). Occasionally I will watch a movie, but always spend time watching the night sky and listening to the night sounds or the quiet. I've fallen to the joy of being free of distance time and activity constraints.

Hammock
    11 Ft Dutch Hexon 1.0 Sidezip
    Tarp
    12 ft HG Quest
    Insulation
    3/4 Phoenix20
    Suspension
    Spiderpolybeetles
    I prefer to hike with others because I am an extrovert and really don't like to talk to myself.All my big trips have been accompanied and that helps with the wife's anxiety.My local trips one county over on property my family has owned for years is where I go solo and it is no challenge and I am so close to home she knows where I am for the most part.I do like plodding along by myself in the woods but miss the opportunity to socialize when no one else is around once camp is all set up.Sometimes I make a fire but if it's too dry,then no fire and that's always a disappointment.Caveman tv rocks!

Anyway,I bought a personal locator beacon(ResqLink) so the wife will know I have a nanny in the woods when I go for a real solo in the mountains soon.Probably not a bad idea when you think about it.Usually in the mornings I am so relaxed that its a real effort to get up and at'em.Funny how that all works...........

I just read through this to here. Wow, what a bunch of great posts. So many different views of the same thing. A good read.

Since I have been on my own, many decades now, I have hiked solo nearly every time. I have done group climbs, I have done group backpacking trips. But, some of those trips with other people have ended up where I really prefer to be by myself. Nothing like being days away from somewhere and realizing you do not like who you are with.

I am married, and I recently got a Delorme inReach so she can get an update.
    When we are doing stuff, we both have a great time, so I am glad for the mate that I have.

As to the original question I might suggest that you try sitting still for a few hours by yourself, and not do anything. Something like meditation. Just being, not doing. If you cannot do that, I would start looking at that. Just be your own good company. Be a Human Being, not a Human Doing.

Years ago I did the JMT solo, and a few years ago, I did (nearly) 100 miles in the Grand Canyon solo.

An old saying, I do not have a dog, but ....
    "The more I know people, the more I like my dog".

Last, I realized many years ago that I like to listen when in the woods. I do not listen to anything anymore.
    I had a cougar a few feet from my tent in Grand Canyon, bears on the JMT, etc, etc, etc. I tried books, but lost interest with so much nature.

Ken in NC
    I collect vintage camp stoves.
    I roast coffee at home.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    WB SF and WL TP
    Insulation
    UGQ & HG
    Suspension
    multiple
    Images
    I've only gone on 3 solo overnighters so far, but any anxiety I had seemed to have vanished the very moment I stepped out of the vehicle and onto the trail by myself. It hadn't really occurred to me until now, but even when I hike with friends, much of my time out there is still spent alone. I'm an explorer of sorts and a photographer. No matter who I'm with, or if I'm solo, I always go out to explore on my own and take photos after camp is established. When I am in camp, I keep myself occupied by processing firewood, tending to the fire, fidgeting with my hammock setup, and going through pictures on my phone. Other times I'm thinking about how I could improve my gear setup. Always trying to find ways to make things work better and my life outdoors easier.
    Scarecrow on Instagram

"If somebody tells you there's a rule, break it. That's the only thing that moves things forward."
    -Hans Zimmer

Hammock
    WB RR
    Tarp
    12' Winter Shelter
    Insulation
    Quilts
    I do a lot of solo outings as well as a lot with the dog. Evening hunts and fishing fill many nights. Exploring, scouting for animals, and enjoying nature makes it pretty easy to wipe out an evening in the summer when it is light until 9 or 10.

Winter evenings can be a lot longer when it is dark at 5. Of course setting up, gathering some firewood, making dinner, hanging bear bags, etc. in the dark and deep snow all seem to take a little longer and that burns up much of the evening. Ice fishing is another good activity to take you into the evening. Just make sure and don't catch any fish. It takes a long time to warm you hands back up at night.

I have always been a huge fan of backcountry TV. I can't even imagine how many hours I have whiled away watching the flames flicker from the fire.

I also tend to get worn down early and usually don't mind hitting the sack for some much needed rest.
    We must, indeed, all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately. - Ben Franklin
    (known as a win-win on this forum)

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast