Collegiate Peaks Loop - Hammock Friendly?

Anybody do this loop without going to ground? From the YouTube videos it looks like you can camp below tree-line every night. Just trying to confirm.

I read the https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...TH-HAMOCK-2016 post, which talks about the Collegiate Peaks West portion, which says:

"I did the Collegiate West alternate much of which is above timberline, but there were trees near the trail in Mineral Basin. The other area is between Lake City and Silverton. This stretch has a 32 mile section above timberline. About 18 miles into this segment from Cold Creek Pass, Google Earth shows a few trees near the trail in a mining district which turn out to be ok for hanging. From there until you drop into the Elk Creek drainage, about 22 miles, you are out of luck unless you drop down off trail."
    You can hammock the whole thing, at least at this point, but you will have to work hard in some areas to find suitable trees."

So the question can be narrowed to the Collegiate East portion.

Thanks.
    Last edited by Nikohiker; 09-06-2018 at 21:43.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I just saw this thread and wanted to follow up, Nikohiker. I'm certainly no expert but have been planning this same hike for next summer (2019). I'm going to drive to the top of Monarch Pass from my home in Montrose (about 130 miles) and commence my loop hike from there, first doing the eastern portion then returning to Monarch via the western side of the loop.

I believe the quote in your post is probably someone who was doing the CDT or CT and was referring to which side of the loop a thru-hiker would choose. Certainly Lake City and Silverton are close to the CT/CDT but are not at all near the Collegiate Loop.

I believe the lower, eastern side of the loop is sufficiently treed to provide plenty of hanging options, but the higher, western side of the loop is another story. It's likely that I'll have to go to ground several nights on that part of the loop.

Since the loop is ~160 miles, I'm planning to do the eastern side from Monarch Pass to Twin Lakes first at a fairly casual pace that may take up to a week if I go off-trail to hike any of the available 14ers. Returning to Monarch from Twin Lakes on the western side of the loop will probably take about the same amount of time (again depending on how much off-trail hiking I choose to do).

If I have done my homework correctly, I'm thinking I need to be prepared to spend several nights on the ground - especially on the western portion of the Collegiate Loop. I'd be interested in what your research has shown and when you're thinking of doing the Loop.

TJ

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear CF
    Suspension
    Poly with Beetle B

Update Info on Hammocking Collegiate Loop Trail

Quote Originally Posted by TaoJones View Post
    I just saw this thread and wanted to follow up, Nikohiker. I'm certainly no expert but have been planning this same hike for next summer (2019). I'm going to drive to the top of Monarch Pass from my home in Montrose (about 130 miles) and commence my loop hike from there, first doing the eastern portion then returning to Monarch via the western side of the loop.

I believe the quote in your post is probably someone who was doing the CDT or CT and was referring to which side of the loop a thru-hiker would choose. Certainly Lake City and Silverton are close to the CT/CDT but are not at all near the Collegiate Loop.

I believe the lower, eastern side of the loop is sufficiently treed to provide plenty of hanging options, but the higher, western side of the loop is another story. It's likely that I'll have to go to ground several nights on that part of the loop.

Since the loop is ~160 miles, I'm planning to do the eastern side from Monarch Pass to Twin Lakes first at a fairly casual pace that may take up to a week if I go off-trail to hike any of the available 14ers. Returning to Monarch from Twin Lakes on the western side of the loop will probably take about the same amount of time (again depending on how much off-trail hiking I choose to do).

If I have done my homework correctly, I'm thinking I need to be prepared to spend several nights on the ground - especially on the western portion of the Collegiate Loop. I'd be interested in what your research has shown and when you're thinking of doing the Loop.

TJ
    Does anyone have additional comments relative to hammocking the Collegiate Trail Loop? I am heading out in July and would prefer to hammock -- but historically use a tent at higher elevations. I expect thunderstorms, so my hammock could provide a dual use, easy set up, emergency rain tarp. I have never had to "go to ground" before (but don't mind experimenting), . . . but much, much prefer to hang. With care, is it normally possible to find a place to hang, especially in the areas that your buddies are planning to set up tents? All input would be appreciated -- especially those with real experience on the Collegiate.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    HG DCF std w/doors
    Insulation
    WM TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    I may have responded to your other post too, FireBall, but seeing some of the discussion here, I'll also say that one of the secrets to successful hammock camping in Colorado is to have printed maps showing ground cover. That way, you can navigate to/from the trail to an area with trees. Plan ahead, and you'll be able to get to trees (you'l usually see tree cover easily from the trail when you're above treeline. I've been thinking about how far I wander off trail to get to trees, and it's usually no more than a quarter mile or so. No big deal.
    Iceman857

"An optimist is a man who plants two acorns and buys a hammock" - Jean de Lattre de Tassigny (French Army General in WWII)

• + New Posts