Hammock
    Half-wit (3 season), Chameleon (win
    Tarp
    Superfly, Thunderf
    Insulation
    EE Revelation 20*,
    Suspension
    Whoopie!
    I used to pack everything in reverse order into a compactor bag just as many have mentioned. I’ve since added a catch-all/lazy slug. Now I just keep my quilts with my hammock, slide the slug over everything, then stuff all at once into the compactor bag. Then just like everyone else said, I roll the top of the compactor bag and everything else goes on top.

I haven’t noticed if using the slug changes the overall compactness of the compactor bag, I usually have plenty of room in my pack anyhow so efficiency wins over any space advantage there might be with packing everything individually.

Hammock
    DIY 12' 1.6 oz Hyper D Baby
    Tarp
    DIY 12' RSBTR kit
    Insulation
    UGQ-uq OWLtq DIYsy
    Suspension
    SpiderStrap TI tog
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JmBoh View Post
    I use a compactor bag as a pack liner and just shove everything in reverse order I'll use it. TQ, clothes bag, UQ, hammock. Roll it down, squeeze the air out of it and smash things as small as I can then roll it the rest of the way and tuck it so air/water won't leak in.
    Quote Originally Posted by dkurfiss View Post
    TQ, UQ, Hammock, and bug net along with dry items (clothing) all go into a compactor bag which is rolled down tight then everything else is packed on the top. My water kit, fire kit, first aid kit go in my front and top pockets of bag.
    Quote Originally Posted by TxAggie View Post
    I used to pack everything in reverse order into a compactor bag just as many have mentioned. I’ve since added a catch-all/lazy slug. Now I just keep my quilts with my hammock, slide the slug over everything, then stuff all at once into the compactor bag. Then just like everyone else said, I roll the top of the compactor bag and everything else goes on top.

I haven’t noticed if using the slug changes the overall compactness of the compactor bag, I usually have plenty of room in my pack anyhow so efficiency wins over any space advantage there might be with packing everything individually.
    Thanks for all the advice - compactor bag is the same as a dry sack?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Be The light in Someone's Darkness - Change the World one Act of Compassion, One Act of Kindness at a Time - We are All Living on Borrowed Time
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfJ...XMJUMaraHGfzhA

Images
    Trash compactor bag - it's a small plastic trash bag, lightweight and waterproof.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Wooki 0deg
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I use a REI 25L Lightweight Roll Top Dry Sack for both my TQ and UQ so that everything stays nice and dry

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    WB SF and WL TP
    Insulation
    UGQ & HG
    Suspension
    multiple
    Images
    I took heed of the forum's advice quite some time ago, and I do like most people have mentioned here. Compactor bag as a pack liner, toss in all quilts and clothing, smash down, roll the top over, and everything else gets packed on top of that. Doing this as opposed to using stuff sacks/compression sacks helped me to save enough pack space that I was able to do away with the brain on my pack. Everything just packs down better when you eliminate all the "organizing" with stuff sacks.
    Scarecrow on Instagram

"If somebody tells you there's a rule, break it. That's the only thing that moves things forward."
    -Hans Zimmer

Hammock
    Chameleon and a Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    UGQ WD 12'
    Insulation
    downy goodness
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GillyGilligan View Post
    Thanks for all the advice - compactor bag is the same as a dry sack?
    Kinda yeah. It's basically a thick trash bag. Pretty sturdy for what we use it for. They do a great job keeping things dry. I get mine at Wal-Mart. 3 15 bag rolls for about $8. I prefer them over purpose made dry sacks, because they are typically lighter and compactor bags have no seams or buckles. It's just a plastic bag. It's super easy to throw an extra in the bottom of your pack with hardly any weight penalty, just in case. They're cheap, light weight and super effective. And if it gets a hole in it, just take it home and use it as a trash bag or something.
    “I am losing precious days. I am degenerating into a machine for making money. I am learning nothing in this trivial world of men. I must break away and get out into the mountains to learn the news”
    ― John Muir

Hammock
    DH Sparrow #2779
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ-HG/KAQ UQ
    Suspension
    Kevlar/Ti CinchBkl
    Images
    For years if I was using my 70-liter pack I did the trash compactor bag thing, especially in Winter when the chance of rain is 0. But I really hate this method. I hate fighting to squeeze the air out and it feels like pushing on a bowl of pudding trying to reduce the volume and get the bag rolled enough to seal well.

If I use anything smaller than my 70-liter (like a 48-liter) and sometimes even with the 70-liter these days, I use compression sacks or dry bags. Much more leak proof and I don't mind having multiple bags. In Winter with my 0-degree bags or sometimes with my 20-degree bags I use two seperate drybags. With my 40-degree set I can usually fit them in one.

My friend swears by using a drybag on the outside of his pack. He does carry some patch material just in case a stray rock or branch rips something. Here's a pic of us in 2 full days of rain. Everything stayed dry for him.

IMG_20180520_110544.jpg
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Men hang out their signs indicative of their respective trades; shoe makers hang out a gigantic shoe; jewelers a monster watch, and the dentist hangs out a gold tooth; but up in the Mountains of New Hampshire, God Almighty has hung out a sign to show that there He makes men.
    - Daniel Webster

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    i still stuff mine into their silnylon stuffsacks....old habits die hard...and then they go into the bottom of my pack which has trash compactor liner bag in it.
    tried just stuffing them loose but did not take to it.
    shug

Last edited by Shug; 09-05-2018 at 22:57.
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    Trash compactor bag user here.
    No more stuff sacks for the TQ and UQ.
    I’ve even used 2 compactor bags when I carried some of my families gear.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    I stuff them in the bottom of the pack, pack other stuff on top. Done.

No pack liner because the pack (Zpack Blast/Haul/zero) is waterproof or at least highly water resistant. And I use a poncho when a lot of rain is expected, so pack is also covered.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast