WB RR, DIY Bridge (Dutch Kit)
    Tarp
    Kammok Glider
    Insulation
    DIY TQ, DIY BQ
    Suspension
    Whoopsie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by GillyGilligan View Post
    Great Info - will have to experiment - Got a 20L compression sack from a friend, and just found what I think ya'll are call the compactor bag - super stretchy 30 gallon trash bag from walmart.
    Actually, no. What people are calling compactor bags are, well, compactor bags. They are super heavy duty bags that, while not indestructible, are really robust.

https://www.amazon.com/Hefty-Trash-C.../dp/B002BXRGQA

Not to say that any trash bag couldn't work to help keep things dry.

Hammock
    WB XLC DL 1.7
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    Wooki/Mamba
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by scrope View Post
    ... They are super heavy duty bags that, while not indestructible, are really robust.

https://www.amazon.com/Hefty-Trash-C.../dp/B002BXRGQA

Not to say that any trash bag couldn't work to help keep things dry.
    Hikers own Amazon!
    When I follow scrope's link at the bottom of the page under "Frequently bought together" I see these compactor bags and Leukotape.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC / Wide Chameleon
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Econ Incubator
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    I have to admit that I use the compactor bag method, but its driving me nuts. Everything I have that needs to stay dry gets put into ziplock bags (something I learned in the infantry), and then put into various garbage bags. The problem comes when I have to pack up, and I have to push air out of all these bags. Eventually I want to have my clothes in one dry bag, my TQ and UQ in another, and my Hammock in another. Then that all put inside of ONE compactor back acting as my pack liner.
    I almost took a spill in a flooded trail crossing that was about 6" deep. I'm sure my stuff would have been dry, but it made me realise that it's better to be Safe than Sorry.

Hammock
    DH Raven, WBRR
    Tarp
    Cowboy Badlander
    Insulation
    Cedar Ridge quilts
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    I am really close to getting something like the Lazy Slug Tube for my hammock and quilts together.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OneClick View Post
    I never had one, but wondered if they could be cut shorter if necessary? Or does that make it more susceptible to tearing down the side like a potato chip bag?

Ah sorry.. I should have been more specific. It's the circumference not the depth. I have cut about six inches off the depth of the bag, and that's fine. The compactor bag is a bit larger in circumference than both of my packs so there are folds and corners once the plastic bag goes in the pack. I keep a small stuff sack with charging cables, battery bank and spare headlight battery in the bottom and that gets lost in the folds.. Hasn't been a show stopper, but as I said, I have the DCF and a more custom sized, better fitting bag would be a pleasure. It's on my todo list...
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MikekiM View Post
    Ah sorry.. I should have been more specific. It's the circumference not the depth. I have cut about six inches off the depth of the bag, and that's fine. The compactor bag is a bit larger in circumference than both of my packs so there are folds and corners once the plastic bag goes in the pack. I keep a small stuff sack with charging cables, battery bank and spare headlight battery in the bottom and that gets lost in the folds.. Hasn't been a show stopper, but as I said, I have the DCF and a more custom sized, better fitting bag would be a pleasure. It's on my todo list...
    That totally makes sense. After chewing on the idea of a new/lighter pack liner, I think I'll stick with the one I have for sure now. It's pretty much an exact fit.

• + New Posts
  • Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456