DIY 126 x 60 Tablecloth
    Tarp
    JRB 10 x 11
    Insulation
    New River/Owhyee
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    Underquilt stays connected to the hammock, it goes in a sylnylon stuff sack, top quilt goes in another; then they get lashed to my Molly Mac Pack. I use a pack cover for rain and I have two compactor bags if I need to swim or cross deep water (I don't take them unless high water crossing is needed though).
    "I aim to misbehave." - Capt. Mal Reynolds
    Mind of a Rat Youtube Channel

Hammock
    WB XLC DL 1.7
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    Wooki/Mamba
    Images
    I'm like TxAggie, UQ on the hammock, TQ in the hammock, UQP, Bugnet, night clothes - all inside my Lazy Slug Tube. Shove the whole deal into the bottom of pack liner inside my pack. add other gear I want to stay dry then fold - squeeze - and tuck. Easy and quick.

Hammock
    DIY TCF Sage Green
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Images
    Like most on here, I stuff mine in a compactor bag along with other items that need to be kept dry in the reverse order of when I will need them.

First in- camp/sleeping clothes, inflatable pillow
    Next- TQ
    Then- UQ
    Finally- Hammock/suspension (the suspension can go outside the bag and does if it gets wet)

I have played with the slug tube, and like doing that as well. I do not like using individual stuff sacks for my quilts. It's all very personal tho. Experiment with some different methods and use the one you like best!

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    Trash compactor bags. You can find them at Wallyworld, There are a couple of difference in the thickness of the bags available. Go with the thick variation. A roll of the bags will last you a long time.

I also use compression bags to reduce the pack size of the TQ and UQ first.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    WB RR, DIY Bridge (Dutch Kit)
    Tarp
    Kammok Glider
    Insulation
    DIY TQ, DIY BQ
    Suspension
    Whoopsie Slings
    I've used the trash compactor bags and they are great for keeping things try but I just don't like using them. I use a pack cover if there's going to be rain. If I was on a longer hike I might use a compactor bag.

Normally I just stuff my TQ without a sack in the bottom of my pack (in the separate bottom compartment if there is one) because it's the last piece of equipment I will deploy. I stuff the UQ or pad in the middle of my pack next to or below my hammock and tarp. I keep the TQ in a sack to protect it because it's made of Argon 67 which is probably sturdy enough but it looks very fragile.

I like to keep my stuff organized so I keep the hammock, tarp, TQ, and camp chair in separate bags. It costs me a slight weight penalty and may not be the most efficient packing space wise but I find it much easier to put stuff in and get it out if it's in a bag. I also have a set location for everything so I can reach in and grab an item based on its known position in the pack.

Hammock
    LSOH Warrior 11' Digi Woodland 1.9
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber Hex
    Insulation
    EE TQ, HG UQ
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Going to echo a lot here it seems...

I have a contractor trash bag in my pack but I don't always open it up and use it. It's just there for heavy/sustained storms and other potentially unforeseen circumstances. I keep a light Dutchware pack cover that more often than not is perfectly adequate for keeping things dry. The bottom portion of my pack also has a waterproof lining sewn in so it can be sat down on wet ground without worry.

As far as the order of things, goes, here it is:

-Top quilt shoved in first at the bottom
    -Then the underquilt shoved in on top of that
    -Then the hammock in a double-ended stuff sack with a marking on one side for the head end
    -Then a few miscellaneous items (cook kit, clothes bag, food bag, misc/toiletry bag.) The down fabric of the quilts conforms around those items
    -Then the tarp in a cuben fiber stuff sack is basically at the top of my pack in case it needs to come out and get set up quickly in the event of a storm (the tarp is cuben fiber and I sort of half-roll, half-fold it, I don't just crumple it up like I do with the TQ, UQ and hammock.)

...when I cinch the pack down,the quilts do a nice job of keeping everything together, balanced, and nothing rattles or bounces around.

Hammock
    DIY 12' 1.6 oz Hyper D Baby
    Tarp
    DIY 12' RSBTR kit
    Insulation
    UGQ-uq OWLtq DIYsy
    Suspension
    SpiderStrap TI tog
    Images
    Lots of great advice here. Looks like I might have to just play with it. Bought a 30l Compression Dry sack. Might just have to film my packing and then have ya'll weigh in. It's funny but I joined probably like most folks do - because they are trying to learn about hammock camping - and I find a whole community of awesome people. Thank you all - More than you know - Thank you
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Be The light in Someone's Darkness - Change the World one Act of Compassion, One Act of Kindness at a Time - We are All Living on Borrowed Time
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfJ...XMJUMaraHGfzhA

Hammock
    WB XLC DL 1.7
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    Wooki/Mamba
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GillyGilligan View Post
    ... Thank you all - More than you know - Thank you
    We know, we were all new here at some point. Enjoy the journey.

Hammock
    Dream Sparrow
    Tarp
    WBTF
    Recently used the Dream Hammock Sleeve Sack to swallow my UQ, hammock and Cave Creek Pet Palace. That really speeds up the set up and take down with those three pieces of gear. Last trip was a kayak paddle down the Namekagon, and I have a 35L Dry bag for all of my most important stuff to keep dry. Sleeve Sack, TQ and extra clothes go in there with cpap etc.

Hammock
    Ridgerunner, Superior Gear
    Tarp
    Hammock gear DCF
    Insulation
    HG, OWL
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TxAggie View Post
    I used to pack everything in reverse order into a compactor bag just as many have mentioned. I’ve since added a catch-all/lazy slug. Now I just keep my quilts with my hammock, slide the slug over everything, then stuff all at once into the compactor bag. Then just like everyone else said, I roll the top of the compactor bag and everything else goes on top.

I haven’t noticed if using the slug changes the overall compactness of the compactor bag, I usually have plenty of room in my pack anyhow so efficiency wins over any space advantage there might be with packing everything individually.
    I'm about to pull the trigger on those slug tubes. That just makes it look so easy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast