Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Mattress tied to hammock sides

Most comparisons of the pro's and con's of under quilts and air mattresses seem to favor under quilts. For me, who does not toss and turn much during the night, a mattress is a must have (with or without an under quilt). I can't sleep when my shoulders are squeezed medially or if I do sleep, I'll suffer by morning.

Does anyone else tie their mattresses in place?

I tie my mattress(es) to the side of the hammock, about 47" from either opposite end. It's easiest to set things "just right" by pushing while in the hammock, if the head end overlaps with but is separate from the foot end (2x 3/4 size mats). However, after several nights' experiments, I prefer to attach a full size (72") mat diagonally to both ends.

Because my mats are about 20" narrow, I slide an additional mat underneath laterally. This keeps my elbows warm. I probably only need about 10" x 35" for this purpose. Because my mats happen to be much bigger than needed, I either fold and tie away some inches of length or just let the long end hang up off my head side (lest it messes up the diagonal foot side shape).

In warmer weather, I fold a 3/4 mat in half and tie it to one or two points at my head end (35" and 47" inches from the end). This creates a stiff flat square or diamond shape, with my head near the top of the diamond and shoulders at opposite points of the diamond.

Specifically, I use two 60" lengths of soft rope to firmly attach the ends of the mat(s) to the inner-most plastic loops on a DutchWare Chameleon. I tie a small bowline loop to the hammock. Then I loop around the mattress and gently tighten an overhand slip bend to the first bowline loop.

If knee hyper-extension is an issue, the under quilt (or any bundle of cloth) can be re-purposed under the knees. Otherwise, the tied mat(s) provide a very stable flat sleeping surface.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Images
    I do like the way a pad gives you a cushy ride. That's it's one big strength.

Small optimization: if you use grosgrain ribbons for the tie-downs, you can avoid the annoyance of having a cord under your back, as the ribbons are flat. They weigh very little and don't cost much either.

Thanks for the tip. The knots can be set under the mattress and I can't feel the rope. But I do worry about damaging the mattresses. Ribbon or a "sock" might distribute the pinch pressure, kinda like "tree-safe" webbing.

Hammock
    Amok Draumr 3.0
    Tarp
    Amok
    Insulation
    Synmat 9 LW
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    This is why I love the draumr. I find the air pads super comfy and the freedom to sleep in any position is just awesome

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    You should give a Warbonnet Ridge Runner a test hang as there is very little shoulder squeeze unless your a line backer

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailSlug View Post
    You should give a Warbonnet Ridge Runner a test hang as there is very little shoulder squeeze unless your a line backer
    +1 ..... I haven't used my XLC since I got a Ridgerunner and would use it inside too if I had enough room, it's really that comfortable. Might be a little heavier but oh well, it's definitely worth the comfortable and extra room!
    " The best pace is a suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." ~ Steve Prefontaine

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nuukskywalker View Post
    For me, who does not toss and turn much during the night, a mattress is a must have (with or without an under quilt). I can't sleep when my shoulders are squeezed medially or if I do sleep, I'll suffer by morning.
    Just out of curiosity: which hammock do you use? How long and wide is it? Which fabric is it made of? A sufficiently long and wide hammock with little stretch shouldn't squeeze the shoulders - unless you're very sensitive (which sometimes happens).

Quote Originally Posted by hutzelbein View Post
    which hammock do you use?
    Mostly a double layer single width Dutch Chameleon. 110" ridgeline, 11' x (uh 5' ?), two layers of Hexon 1.0 oz/yd^2 20 D nylon. It's not terribly wide, but that's not really the issue. I just don't want anything touching my shoulders. I trained myself years ago to sleep on my back to counter desk nerd job laptop syndrome. Ideally, I want my shoulders back, lower than flat. At home, I might put a pillow under my lower back and a roll under my neck. I find that a thick 20" wide pad is great with another pad beneath, so that my elbows are below my belly and my shoulder points touch nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by leiavoia View Post
    if you use grosgrain ribbons for the tie-downs, you can avoid the annoyance of having a cord under your back, as the ribbons are flat.
    I found this little bit of princess ribbon in the garage, inspired by HC Andersen.

pink-princess-pea.jpgpink-ribbon.jpg

Hammock
    DIY 126 x 60 Tablecloth
    Tarp
    JRB 10 x 11
    Insulation
    New River/Owhyee
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    I'm in the same boat, shoulder damage when I was young (and bulletproof) has caused me to have shoulder pain when I get shoulder squeeze in my hammock. I start off okay, but the pain gets bad enough to wake me in the night, which is saying something as I am a very heavy sleeper.

I am in the process of buying new hammocks now and will be going with the heaviest fabric in the Chameleon lineup. I have tried bridge hammocks and couldn't get used to them. I can't bring myself to use an air mattress again, just too many failures for me to deal with in the field.

If the new Chameleons are still causing squeeze I will try adding a spreader bar at the shoulders.

Your solution is simple and elegant, just not for me.

Getting old stinks...
    "I aim to misbehave." - Capt. Mal Reynolds
    Mind of a Rat Youtube Channel

two tie points

I believe two tie points (one on each opposite end) connected to a long mat are sufficient, after playing with different configurations for about 20 nights. Two connection points at the same end can ensure the mat stays within the hammock base. Otherwise, the mat might pop off the edge of the hammock, which may interfere with a Chameleon mosquito or top cover, but I doubt it would hurt anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Rat View Post
    I'm in the same boat, shoulder damage [...] pain when I get shoulder squeeze in my hammock. [...] I can't bring myself to use an air mattress again, just too many failures for me to deal with in the field. [...] If the new Chameleons are still causing squeeze I will try adding a spreader bar at the shoulders.
    By "failure" you mean the air mat popped? The folded mattress (red Thermarest image in first post) creates a surface flatter than any bed. Even if it pops, I think rolling up a popped mat would provide better shoulder structure than a spreader bar.
    Attached Images Attached Images

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast