Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

two mats locked with two tie points

"Wings" would simplify the "cold elbow" problem, but I don't like the commercial designs nor prices on offer. Beside, I already have other mats, maybe clothing and whatnot for this purpose. I only need about 5" for my elbows on either side of my 20" mat and don't need extra padding under my pad. But in the meantime, I might tie a smaller mat perpendicularly under my main mat, like a Christian cross or lower case "t". The mats can be slashed together making a tight 20x20" square of rope. Together they are attached to the hammock head edge (shoulder) at a single corner of the rope square. The mats won't move an inch.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by nuukskywalker View Post
    "Wings" would simplify the "cold elbow" problem, but I don't like the commercial designs nor prices on offer. Beside, I already have other mats, maybe clothing and whatnot for this purpose. I only need about 5" for my elbows on either side of my 20" mat and don't need extra padding under my pad. But in the meantime, I might tie a smaller mat perpendicularly under my main mat, like a Christian cross or lower case "t". The mats can be slashed together making a tight 20x20" square of rope. Together they are attached to the hammock head edge (shoulder) at a single corner of the rope square. The mats won't move an inch.
    I feel like putting a couple of sitpads to replace the smaller mat in your cross could do exactly the same thing a little lighter, and as you said you don't need extra padding under your existing pad (except for perhaps a little overlap so your lashing works). If you put a velcro strip on everything that needed it, you could still use them for sitpads in camp and just put them on right before sleep. As long as you're making pad improvements, you could use silicon and add this stuff either all along the bottom side or just at the pressure points (feet, butt, upper back) to prevent sliding.

Hammock
    DIY 12' 1.6 oz Hyper D Baby
    Tarp
    DIY 12' RSBTR kit
    Insulation
    UGQ-uq OWLtq DIYsy
    Suspension
    SpiderStrap TI tog
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rat View Post
    I'm in the same boat, shoulder damage when I was young (and bulletproof) has caused me to have shoulder pain when I get shoulder squeeze in my hammock. I start off okay, but the pain gets bad enough to wake me in the night, which is saying something as I am a very heavy sleeper.

I am in the process of buying new hammocks now and will be going with the heaviest fabric in the Chameleon lineup. I have tried bridge hammocks and couldn't get used to them. I can't bring myself to use an air mattress again, just too many failures for me to deal with in the field.

If the new Chameleons are still causing squeeze I will try adding a spreader bar at the shoulders.

Your solution is simple and elegant, just not for me.

Getting old stinks...
    Aint that the truth!! Great Youtube channel btw just subbed you.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Be The light in Someone's Darkness - Change the World one Act of Compassion, One Act of Kindness at a Time - We are All Living on Borrowed Time
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfJ...XMJUMaraHGfzhA

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailSlug View Post
    You should give a Warbonnet Ridge Runner a test hang as there is very little shoulder squeeze unless your a line backer
    +1..... I'm in mine right now and I have ZERO shoulder squeeze , ZERO calf ridge and ZERO knee hyperextension. It's by far my new favorite hammock, even more so than my XLC and ultra comfortable and stretchy DIY 11' argon 1.6 . Give one a try it you ever have a chance!
    " The best pace is a suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." ~ Steve Prefontaine

Hammock
    Amok Draumr 3.0
    Tarp
    Draumr 3.0 Tarp
    Insulation
    Synmat 7
    As has been said previously the Amok Draumr might be worth considering. I had some issues with knee hyperextension on my Sierra Madre gathered end hammock, but the Amok hasn't caused any problems with it's flat lay. It also requires a mat by design, so it may give you a familiar feel if you've been using them in your current hammock.

Hammock
    SLD - Trail Lair, 90 degree Gamma
    Tarp
    Winter Haven
    Insulation
    Anything Down
    Suspension
    Good stiff rope
    Images
    I really like the Hammock Tent 90 degree hammock. It is my favorite hammock to throw a pad in. The Amok is also a good choice, but I like the Hammock Tent more. Maybe the 3.0 will change my mind.

For the past 6 months all I use is my Luxury Bridge. I thought I had an idea of what bridge hammocks were all about until I slept in the Luxury Bridge. Now I finally know what it is like to go to sleep and not wake up once all night. It is that comfoprtable.

Just my $.02
    Check out our Youtube page for some fun hammock videos https://www.youtube.com/c/LloydLiving

Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge
    I can't find the picture at the moment; but yes I also tie mattresses onto my bridge hammocks.

Whatever works I suppose, but this looks pretty clunky to me.
    A custom version of a Speer Pad Extender would help you better position your pads so you aren't lashing them together. A flat webbing and buckle system would likely work better without damaging the pads too.

I have anchored a pad or pillow to a single point on the shoulder or foot end to help locate them.

No great surprise coming from me- but at some point if you're piling 2,3,4,5 pads you're lashing together to make your gathered end work it might be time to try a bridge or Amok.

I realize we all aren't backpackers- but given the weight and bulk of those pads that alone would drive me for another solution.

HYOH...

Hammock
    Hammock Tent/SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Tarptent/Thunderfl
    Insulation
    EE
    Suspension
    Kevlar/B. Hitch
    Quote Originally Posted by Mogollon Monster View Post

For the past 6 months all I use is my Luxury Bridge. I thought I had an idea of what bridge hammocks were all about until I slept in the Luxury Bridge. Now I finally know what it is like to go to sleep and not wake up once all night. It is that comfoprtable.

Just my $.02
    Looking forward to the video review

Sent from my XT1635-02 using Tapatalk

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12