Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Skunk and fabric

The neighbor's dog cornered me, a skunk, and much of my gear. The dog got most of the spray and has been washed in vinegar and shampoo. But I need to remove the odor from various synthetic materials. Any tips?

From what I read, a combination of hydrogen peroxide, baking soda, and detergent will neutralize the odor. I will try anything and everything, but worried about damaging hammocks, air mattresses, and rope. Will vinegar, baking soda, hydrogen peroxide, bleach or ammonia, and other chemicals damage nylon, cotton, and polyester?

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    I would just wash in vinegar and test as many of these chemicals would be harsh on nylon.

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    When my Springer Spaniel would not leave the skunks alone I tried tomato juice my vet. swore by. I tried everything she finally received a buzz cut, she still stank. It is the oil that binds the smell.

There are some commercial preparations that are from reputable companies for gear that stinks. I used some but I am not sure what brand when my Bouvier des Flandres rolled in a gelatinous sea lion while we were Hanging. The dog had tiny bones in her fur from the remains, horrible mess. I used Dawn dish soap but it was not of much help, the commercial no stink worked best.

Baking Soda is one of my go to for odor abatement. Vinegar is good but I would not use it on my high end gear. Ammonia definitely not. Some substances set in odor so it will never come out of the fibers. I loaned my GoLite tent to my son, the tent came home smelling of white gas. I washed it in Dawn and sprinkled baking soda on it then set it up in the shade, the smell came out without damage.
    Last edited by IRONFISH45; 09-05-2018 at 03:59.

My dogs have been skunked 3 times in the last 2 years. This IS the best way to get out skunk smell.

1 quart hydrogen peroxide
    1/4 cup baking soda
    3 or 4 drops of dish detergent

Mix well, spray on, let sit for 10 minutes before washing. THIS IS IMPORTANT! If you get anything that has been skunked wet BEFORE applying the peroxide solution, the smell will get MUCH worse. Don't ask me why, don't ask me how, just trust me that it does.

The last time my dogs got skunked (about 3 or 4 months ago), I already had the process down pat, and they went from freshly skunked to smelling like roses in less than 30 minutes.

You're welcome.

Hammock
    DH Sparrow #2779
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ-HG/KAQ UQ
    Suspension
    Kevlar/Ti CinchBkl
    Images
    Nylon is impervious to most things, but not bleach. Be very careful with even a mild bleach solution. Also note that the coatings on somenylon fabrics react differently than the fabric itself. There is a good chemical compatibility chart here: https://www.calpaclab.com/nylon-chem...ibility-chart/. Just note that many things are listed by their actual chemical name, so insted of "bleach" you need to look at "Sodium Hypochlorite" for example.

The primary commercial odor eliminator in use today is Chlorine Dioxide, a slightlygreen-yellow gas that penetrates fabrics and oxidizes odor molecules. It's used in hospitals and sold by many companies for home, auto, and other use. Typically you get a small packet of crystals that you add water to and it generates a gas that you leave in place (in a car or room) for up to 24 hours. Chlorine Dioxide is so safe, it is used in mouthwash for severe bad breath and is the chemical in most water treatment tablets you buy for hiking including Aquamira. Some companies sell it as a liquid spray as well. In fact, Chlorine Dioxide is sold as a professional cleaner for skunk odor to vets and zoos as Skunk-Away (https://alphatechpet.com/skunkaway-spray-6/case.aspx).

If I were you, I'd get a big Rubbermaid storage container that holds all the stinky gear, then get a version designed for auto or similar use and activate it in the sealed container with my gear. Give it a few hours and you should be good to go. You can search Amazon for "Chlorine Dioxide" and under "household cleaners" you'll find a dozen different ways to apply it from pre-mixed sprays to gas generators. Good luck.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Men hang out their signs indicative of their respective trades; shoe makers hang out a gigantic shoe; jewelers a monster watch, and the dentist hangs out a gold tooth; but up in the Mountains of New Hampshire, God Almighty has hung out a sign to show that there He makes men.
    - Daniel Webster

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Squatch View Post
    Nylon is impervious to most things, but not bleach. Be very careful with even a mild bleach solution. Also note that the coatings on somenylon fabrics react differently than the fabric itself. There is a good chemical compatibility chart here: https://www.calpaclab.com/nylon-chem...ibility-chart/. Just note that many things are listed by their actual chemical name, so insted of "bleach" you need to look at "Sodium Hypochlorite" for example.

The primary commercial odor eliminator in use today is Chlorine Dioxide, a slightlygreen-yellow gas that penetrates fabrics and oxidizes odor molecules. It's used in hospitals and sold by many companies for home, auto, and other use. Typically you get a small packet of crystals that you add water to and it generates a gas that you leave in place (in a car or room) for up to 24 hours. Chlorine Dioxide is so safe, it is used in mouthwash for severe bad breath and is the chemical in most water treatment tablets you buy for hiking including Aquamira. Some companies sell it as a liquid spray as well. In fact, Chlorine Dioxide is sold as a professional cleaner for skunk odor to vets and zoos as Skunk-Away (https://alphatechpet.com/skunkaway-spray-6/case.aspx).

If I were you, I'd get a big Rubbermaid storage container that holds all the stinky gear, then get a version designed for auto or similar use and activate it in the sealed container with my gear. Give it a few hours and you should be good to go. You can search Amazon for "Chlorine Dioxide" and under "household cleaners" you'll find a dozen different ways to apply it from pre-mixed sprays to gas generators. Good luck.
    Thank you, I like your solution, maybe it should be in the Stixky Department.

I am permanently keeping it for the just incase. I have not seen or smelled a skunk in years.

Thanks everyone. I may burn cotton that still stinks after a wash, if the above advice doesn't magically work.

I left an older thermarest out in the rain for hours and an hour in the sun, which seemed to remove the odor (although my nose is shot). I've now left all mattresses, hammock, and a nylon quilt out in the rain. As I understand, nylon is oleophobic, so should not have absorbed oils. The REI Lite Core has a polyester bottom, which may have absorbed oils. Maybe none of that matters (as Wikipedia tells me that) skunk odor is more like a sulfur alcohol than oil, but that's my going theory anyway. I asked Thermarest for advice as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Squatch View Post
    Nylon is impervious to most things... chemical compatibility chart here: https://www.calpaclab.com/nylon-chem...ibility-chart/... The primary commercial odor eliminator in use today is Chlorine Dioxide... as Skunk-Away (https://alphatechpet.com/skunkaway-spray-6/case.aspx)....
    Great links. Chlorine Dioxide wasn't on the nylon reaction list. Acetic Acid (Vinegar) gets a "D-Severe Effect". Hydrogen Peroxide 10% is "C-Fair" while 30%+ is "D-Severe Effect".

Sodium Bicarbonate (Baking soda) with "A-Excellent" seems like the safest first step.

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    A couple of weeks ago my border collies took off after a skunk. But she veered off just before she got there. I am so hopeful that after a couple of "lessons" she has finally graduated with honors...leave the skunks alone!

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    Luckily there are no skunks in this area or I am sure Sam I Am would be a true stinker.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast