Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bandit quilt - 72" or 78" for 5'9 (sewn footbox)

Hi all,

I'm 5'9, and torn between the 72" or 78" bandit quilt.
    I plan to get the sewn footbox which states that it reduces length by 4-6".

72" is listed as good for up to 5'9, but i'm not entirely clear where it would land with a sewn footbox on me.

About me:

- Side/stomach sleeper and roll around a lot. Plan to use this on a ground pad(yes, I realize this is hammockforums but I wanted to find other people that have used quilts)
    - Want the quilt to come up to just under my chin (not base of my neck), even when my legs are fully stretched out.

Which would you go with? I would like to order while the 10% off labor day sale is going on, but unfortunately UGQ crew is on vacation so I can't get my questions answered.
    Last edited by nquinn; 09-03-2018 at 12:27.

Hammock
    DH Raven, WBRR
    Tarp
    Cowboy Badlander
    Insulation
    Cedar Ridge quilts
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    I’m 6’1” so I tend to think longer is better. For you, 72” is 6’, so you’d probably be fine with that up your neck since your head is probably a good 8” of space you’re not planning to cover. That should give you about 12” of spare length to stretch your toes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DH Raven, WBRR
    Tarp
    Cowboy Badlander
    Insulation
    Cedar Ridge quilts
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    You can also order the 72” and ask questions later in the week. You have some lead time before they get to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Go with 72".
    I am 6'-1" and have a 0° Bandit at 78" with completely insulated footbox. It swallows me up, even with my head buried. I could easily get away with shorter.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Quote Originally Posted by jdy98p View Post
    I’m 6’1” so I tend to think longer is better. For you, 72” is 6’, so you’d probably be fine with that up your neck since your head is probably a good 8” of space you’re not planning to cover. That should give you about 12” of spare length to stretch your toes
    Well, I'm thinking 72" - 6" lost for the footbox, then maybe another 5" ??? lost from my body pushing up the quilt, that leave it at 61" or so.

I measured up from the floor to my chin and that's around 61" exactly. Main concern when testing out my 70" costco quilt (cinched up 4" to emulate this, was thinking it would be like a 72" - 6" lost for a footbox) is that it kind of sits on the top of my back shoulder not quite reaching up my neck, which makes me think that it won't be very warm. Not sure if this is a reasonable test or not.

Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    Go with 72".
    I am 6'-1" and have a 0° Bandit at 78" with completely insulated footbox. It swallows me up, even with my head buried. I could easily get away with shorter.

Is that while side sleeping? If you completely stretch your legs out where does the quilt land?

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nquinn View Post
    Is that while side sleeping? If you completely stretch your legs out where does the quilt land?
    I double checked my fit. The picture is taken from directly above the top edge of the quilt, while I am laying prone in it.
    The quilt does NOT cover the top of my head. In other words, the quilt stops right at the top of my head. A beenie hat would have to be worn to protect the top of my head.

Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    I double checked my fit. The picture is taken from directly above the top edge of the quilt, while I am laying prone in it.
    The quilt does NOT cover the top of my head. In other words, the quilt stops right at the top of my head. A beenie hat would have to be worn to protect the top of my head.

Is that the picture you meant to send? Can't really make out anything in it.

Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge
    Quote Originally Posted by nquinn View Post
    Hi all,

I'm 5'9, and torn between the 72" or 78" bandit quilt.
    I plan to get the sewn footbox which states that it reduces length by 4-6".

72" is listed as good for up to 5'9, but i'm not entirely clear where it would land with a sewn footbox on me.

About me:

- Side/stomach sleeper and roll around a lot. Plan to use this on a ground pad(yes, I realize this is hammockforums but I wanted to find other people that have used quilts)
    - Want the quilt to come up to just under my chin (not base of my neck), even when my legs are fully stretched out.

Which would you go with? I would like to order while the 10% off labor day sale is going on, but unfortunately UGQ crew is on vacation so I can't get my questions answered.
    Part of this doesn't make sense to me... but seems you copied it correctly...

*Measurements are based on a quilt with a Zipper & Draw Cord foot box, the foot box fully opened, the quilt laying out flat and then pulled snug. The addition of a Boxed Flat Sewn or Insulated Foot Box will shorten the overall measurement of the quilt by 4-6″. This will not affect the sizing recommendations so please make your selection based on the recommendations above. Due to the nature of individual production actual measurements may vary from those shown here*

That's actually counter what most quilt folks tell you. A DRAW CORD foot box tends to end up 4-6" shorter in effective length as a result of cinching it closed. A regular footbox would not reduce the effective length any.

That said it sounds like they are cutting this out... so a sewn footbox in a 78" for example will actually be 72-74" long. Which is about the same effective length of the drawcord model.

Either way- as an air and ground guy....

You are a side/stomach sleeper. Which means pointed toes, which means extra length needed.
    Hammock sleepers are also sleeping in a hammock... generally that means the top quilt has to cover a slightly shorter distance than a ground sleeper's quilt.

Or to put it simpler- on the ground the quilt has to go 'up and over' rather than lay dead flat. For a side sleeper that also means it has to rise over your shoulder. Just picture a map with contour lines... in a hammock the quilt has to travel 'as the crow flies'... on the ground you need to add the distance to rise and fall over the contours of the land.

So since you are on the edge I would bump up to the 78", especially as a mover.
    Having an extra inch or three to roll over and tuck around you will help lock the quilt in, bust drafts, and prevent you from thrashing out of it all night.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
    Part of this doesn't make sense to me... but seems you copied it correctly...

*Measurements are based on a quilt with a Zipper & Draw Cord foot box, the foot box fully opened, the quilt laying out flat and then pulled snug. The addition of a Boxed Flat Sewn or Insulated Foot Box will shorten the overall measurement of the quilt by 4-6″. This will not affect the sizing recommendations so please make your selection based on the recommendations above. Due to the nature of individual production actual measurements may vary from those shown here*

That's actually counter what most quilt folks tell you. A DRAW CORD foot box tends to end up 4-6" shorter in effective length as a result of cinching it closed. A regular footbox would not reduce the effective length any.

That said it sounds like they are cutting this out... so a sewn footbox in a 78" for example will actually be 72-74" long. Which is about the same effective length of the drawcord model.

Either way- as an air and ground guy....

You are a side/stomach sleeper. Which means pointed toes, which means extra length needed.
    Hammock sleepers are also sleeping in a hammock... generally that means the top quilt has to cover a slightly shorter distance than a ground sleeper's quilt.

Or to put it simpler- on the ground the quilt has to go 'up and over' rather than lay dead flat. For a side sleeper that also means it has to rise over your shoulder. Just picture a map with contour lines... in a hammock the quilt has to travel 'as the crow flies'... on the ground you need to add the distance to rise and fall over the contours of the land.

So since you are on the edge I would bump up to the 78", especially as a mover.
    Having an extra inch or three to roll over and tuck around you will help lock the quilt in, bust drafts, and prevent you from thrashing out of it all night.
    Right? The terminology is confusing - I'm not sure how they could recommend the same length when losing 6" or not. Enlightened equipment also lists different sizes:

EE revelation (drawstrings/cinch quilt): 78" recommended for 5’6” - 6’
    EE enigma (sewn footbox): 72" recommended for 5'6 - 6' (unclear if this was originally a 78" quilt that was cut down?)

Given the above 72" def feels on the short side to me for any kind of quilt from UGQ unless the sewn footbox model is actually a 78 and the 72 measurement is after sewing.

So unclear. Going to call them today.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast