Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge
    Quote Originally Posted by nquinn View Post
    Right? The terminology is confusing - I'm not sure how they could recommend the same length when losing 6" or not. Enlightened equipment also lists different sizes:

EE revelation (drawstrings/cinch quilt): 78" recommended for 5’6” - 6’
    EE enigma (sewn footbox): 72" recommended for 5'6 - 6' (unclear if this was originally a 78" quilt that was cut down?)

Given the above 72" def feels on the short side to me for any kind of quilt from UGQ unless the sewn footbox model is actually a 78 and the 72 measurement is after sewing.

So unclear. Going to call them today.
    No... I understand it completely. All that's weird (for me) is that I'm used to going by the way EE describes it.

I make/sell quilts.

A 78" flat quilt with a drawstring footbox will be 78" with the footbox wide open laying on a table.
    If you cinch the drawcord all the way down it shrinks up 4-6" to form the closed footbox in use. So that's why it's good up to 6'... it measures 78" but the effective length is 72".

Since the Enigma already has a sewn footbox, it is sewn up at a length of 72" because it won't suffer any loss of length in the real world.

UGQ is doing something the same thing, but the wording is just funky that's all.
    Since EE lists them as totally separate products... it's easier for them to call it out clearer.

Basically- UGQ is selling
    A Bandit with drawcord footbox at 78" (REVELATION)
    A Bandit with Sewn Footbox at 4-6" shorter (ENIGMA)

They are both the same effective length in real life- that's why the recommended size doesn't change.

Think of a sweatshirt in size large.
    Lay one on the table and it will be 24" tall.
    Lay a hooded version on the table and it will be 32" tall.

It's still a size large.
    That's really all that's going on with the footbox here... EE just has them as totally separate models, UGQ has the same model with an option.

Again for you...
    Ground sleeper
    Side/belly sleeper
    tosser and turner.

All reasons any decent vendor would suggest you size up in length if you're right on the line.

As an UL guy... I might tell you to cut it tight on your summer quilt (35* and up) if you wanted. But not to chance it on a cold weather quilt.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
    No... I understand it completely. All that's weird (for me) is that I'm used to going by the way EE describes it.

I make/sell quilts.

A 78" flat quilt with a drawstring footbox will be 78" with the footbox wide open laying on a table.
    If you cinch the drawcord all the way down it shrinks up 4-6" to form the closed footbox in use. So that's why it's good up to 6'... it measures 78" but the effective length is 72".

Since the Enigma already has a sewn footbox, it is sewn up at a length of 72" because it won't suffer any loss of length in the real world.

UGQ is doing something the same thing, but the wording is just funky that's all.
    Since EE lists them as totally separate products... it's easier for them to call it out clearer.

Basically- UGQ is selling
    A Bandit with drawcord footbox at 78" (REVELATION)
    A Bandit with Sewn Footbox at 4-6" shorter (ENIGMA)

They are both the same effective length in real life- that's why the recommended size doesn't change.

Think of a sweatshirt in size large.
    Lay one on the table and it will be 24" tall.
    Lay a hooded version on the table and it will be 32" tall.

It's still a size large.
    That's really all that's going on with the footbox here... EE just has them as totally separate models, UGQ has the same model with an option.

Again for you...
    Ground sleeper
    Side/belly sleeper
    tosser and turner.

All reasons any decent vendor would suggest you size up in length if you're right on the line.

As an UL guy... I might tell you to cut it tight on your summer quilt (35* and up) if you wanted. But not to chance it on a cold weather quilt.
    Right, basically I just want to verify if a 72" Bandit w/ sewn footbox is 72" in length after being sewn up, or 66-68" in length after being sewn up. If so I'll definitely move to the 78" model.

The other thing is UGQ states that a 72" quilt is good up to 5'9, while EE says their 72" non-sewn quilt is only good up to 5'6. That's a pretty big difference.
    Last edited by nquinn; 09-04-2018 at 13:22.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Is that the picture you meant to send? Can't really make out anything in it.
    Ha-ha! The point is that I am in the quilt and you cannot see my head. But it isn't long enough to wrap over the top of my head, which would eliminate the need for a beenie.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

All clarified with the help of Paul! The sewn footbox quilts are in fact measured from original length with UGQ, so a 72" would have 66-68" actual length, and a 78" would have 72-74" length.

I went with the 78 and asked if they could trim it down to around 76" which would be my height + 7" which seems like a pretty common happy medium from what I've read from most people. Almost wondering if I should have just stayed with the full 78. If anyone thinks I should stick with that extra long length let me know since I still have time to change?

(76" is +7" compared to my height, but I figure after losing 6" to the footbox and then maybe another 6" to sleeping on my side, that leaves it at 64", or about half way down my head I think?)
    Last edited by nquinn; 09-05-2018 at 12:40.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Eldorado (Dream-Tex)
    Tarp
    ThunderFly
    Insulation
    Wooki, Diamondback
    Suspension
    DW June Bug Buckle
    I have lots of experience with using Bandits with fully insulated sewn footboxes. I do wonder how the standard non insulated sewn footboxes compare though. I would recommend exactly 72” for exactly 6’ tall people when it comes to fully insulated sewn footboxes. If you are any shorter or taller, add or subtract that amount. No point in having extra quilt that will just fold up on you. If you insist on extra quilt that would be better spent on width anyway.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC, WBRR,Dutch Argon1.6
    Insulation
    Wookie
    Suspension
    Dutch Beetle clips
    All clarified with the help of Paul! The sewn footbox quilts are in fact measured from original length with UGQ, so a 72" would have 66-68" actual length, and a 78" would have 72-74" length.

I went with the 78 and asked if they could trim it down to around 76" which would be my height + 7" which seems like a pretty common happy medium from what I've read from most people. Almost wondering if I should have just stayed with the full 78. If anyone thinks I should stick with that extra long length let me know since I still have time to change?

(76" is +7" compared to my height, but I figure after losing 6" to the footbox and then maybe another 6" to sleeping on my side, that leaves it at 64", or about half way down my head I think?)
    Im looking at the same quilt no taper with the insulated foot box. I’m 5ft 8’ and asking if I should get the long wide and have it cut to 75 inches.

Since you’re paying for the extra down with the long quilt, is the left over down being redistributed in the bag ?
    Also since you have an insulated foot box option that includes 1 ounce of down, is the extra fill at the foot box necessary?

Looking at the 20 degree bandit

Quote Originally Posted by HandyRandy View Post
    I have lots of experience with using Bandits with fully insulated sewn footboxes. I do wonder how the standard non insulated sewn footboxes compare though. I would recommend exactly 72” for exactly 6’ tall people when it comes to fully insulated sewn footboxes. If you are any shorter or taller, add or subtract that amount. No point in having extra quilt that will just fold up on you. If you insist on extra quilt that would be better spent on width anyway.
    What do you think of your decision? I'm your height and wondering which to go with in the end. Thanks.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Eldorado (Dream-Tex)
    Tarp
    ThunderFly
    Insulation
    Wooki, Diamondback
    Suspension
    DW June Bug Buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by hambaked_honey View Post
    What do you think of your decision? I'm your height and wondering which to go with in the end. Thanks.
    I have switched over to the Warbonnet Diamondback TQ at this point. I use their regular length and it works for me at around 5’11”. But that doesn’t change my length recommendations above for the Bandit.

The only new thing I have learned is that I would like about 60” wide if I ever have to go to ground. Maybe if I used pad straps and was able to stay on my back, the 55” would work better, but I would rather have something wider for ground use. And I am not all that big around at 150 pounds.

Quote Originally Posted by HandyRandy View Post
    I have switched over to the Warbonnet Diamondback TQ at this point. I use their regular length and it works for me at around 5’11”. But that doesn’t change my length recommendations above for the Bandit.

The only new thing I have learned is that I would like about 60” wide if I ever have to go to ground. Maybe if I used pad straps and was able to stay on my back, the 55” would work better, but I would rather have something wider for ground use. And I am not all that big around at 150 pounds.
    Got it, thanks!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12