Dutchware Chameleon Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20*
    Suspension
    June Bugs
    Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    I voted "tarp first" earlier. Let me embellish. My tarp is in snakeskin, so it's easy to work around it while deploying the hammock. Also, my tarp is on a Brooklyn clothesline, so centering the tarp after the hammock is a non-issue.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    I also have my tarp in a snakeskin, on a CRL, so I hang that first. That way if it starts to rain while I am setting up the hammock I can just undo the tarp and work underneath it.

Even though my tarp is in a skin and (often) on a CRL, I do the hammock first for two reasons: centering and height. Unless it's raining and then I'll do the iterative adjusting thing by hanging the tarp first. Sure, it's easier to center the tarp with a CRL but if it's in a skin, it isn't serving any purpose by stringing it up first unless bad weather is threatening or present. I want to be sure to get the tarp at just the right height after getting the hammock dialed in.

I like the concept of having the hammock and tarp on the same suspension but slope and weather can make that complicated in terms of getting the tarp level when the hammock suspension isn't and being able to choose tarp height.

Hammock
    Argon 11 ft or HH BKUL
    Tarp
    Asym DIY Pole Mod
    Insulation
    DIY, Jarbrige,HHSS
    Suspension
    Lashings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pgibson View Post
    I only hang the tarp if it’s raining or rain is a strong possibility or the wind is likely to be an issue. Otherwise it rarely come out of my pack. But I have it always ready to be first up and last thing taken down.
    Same with me - tarp first and left in skins if I suspect I'll need one, but I'm retired and my camping days are determined by weather forecast thus my tarp doesn't get used much.
    Enjoying the simple things in life -
    Own less, live more.

Hammock
    11 Ft Dutch Hexon 1.0 Sidezip
    Tarp
    12 ft HG Quest
    Insulation
    3/4 Phoenix20
    Suspension
    Spiderpolybeetles
    I used to always hang hammock first.Learned a lesson the last time out-hang the tarp ridge line first.I actually hung my hammock between two big trees that were a little further apart than normal and due to diameter of trees the ridge line was insufficient in length.Not to worry,but I had to tie on some extension which was a hassle.For some reason, I always have difficulty getting the tarp centered so that the same amount of tarp is over each end of hammock.Tips anybody?

Hammock
    Warbonnet Elderado
    Insulation
    Wookie Underquit
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    I'll preface this with I am 100% new to hammock backpacking. However, I figure because I have a CRL and snakeskin I found it easier to setup my tarp first then my hammock, adjusting the tarp to the hammock. The other thing I found, and this might be due to inexperience, is that if I put my hammock first I am fighting to work around it to get my tarp up, mostly because I like to get my tarp up high enough so I do not have to bend over (I'm 6'3"), so that might also play into it. No clue, but I am learning as I go.

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    Longer ridgeline tarps are more forgiving if hammock is a couple inches off center.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TominMN View Post
    slope and weather can make that complicated in terms of getting the tarp level when the hammock suspension isn't
    Interested... why do you need your tap level?
    I usually have my tarp sloping down towards the head end. That way I can pitch it low enough to block the wind, but have it high enough at the foot end for walking in and out (and good views). I always try to have my head upwind, feet downwind, so my tarp presents the lowest profile to the wind (obviously, you need doors).
    Another benefit of a sloping ridge is that water drains, rather than pools at the bottom hem (if you pitch is less than perfect, or the nylon stretches).

Hammock
    11 Ft Dutch Hexon 1.0 Sidezip
    Tarp
    12 ft HG Quest
    Insulation
    3/4 Phoenix20
    Suspension
    Spiderpolybeetles
    I wonder if I could hang anything level if I had to!

Images
    Hammock first unless it looks like rain, hence I have often attached my tarp to the hammock suspension. Lately it has been tarp first tied independently off the hammock suspension: much much better all around.

Hammock
    Chameleon, Hammeck Envy-S, Amok,
    Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    CBs or whoopies
    Hammock first unless it is raining. Tarp (in net sleeves) only gets hung if rain, dew or a long lazy day in the sun is expected.
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to use it in a fruit salad.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast