SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    SLD Custom
    Insulation
    Wilderness Logics
    Suspension
    Straps and Beetle

Winter hammock options

I am thinking about a hammock for winter use or the bug free season. Is it worth spending the money on a zip closed top? My main concern is to keep the top quilt contained. Would the knotty mods help with this? I already have a SLD Winter Haven tarp. I'm trying to decide between a SLD Tree Runner and Trail Lair.

Some like a top cover, others don't! If you went for a Chameleon from Dutch, you could start with a basic hammock and add a cover later if you found the need/desire. The Eldorado from WB takes a winter top and you can even get a bottom to zip to it. It comes standard with a bug net. Don't know if you could get it without.

Either system provides a lot of versatility and wouldn't have to be a "winter only" hammock. Bug nets are optional/removable.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow : SLD
    Tarp
    HG : SLD
    Insulation
    HG : SLD : WB
    Quote Originally Posted by TominMN View Post
    Some like a top cover, others don't! If you went for a Chameleon from Dutch, you could start with a basic hammock and add a cover later if you found the need/desire.

you can do that with the top cover also with the trail layer. I like the cover on my DH dangerbird
    There's magic in the woods,
    if you know where to look for it.
    -Pete's Dragon

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Covers cause condensation for me. My Chameleon top cover has a bug mesh vent, but it doesn't vent. I generally won't consider a top cover until it gets around 10 to 15* F.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    Really a matter of personal choice. I had a Thunderbird with a topcover (with mesh vents) and net. Top cover was okay.

I have a netless RidgeRunner that I use when there is room. I put a mitten hook on the bottom of my TQ and I hook it to the foot of my RR. I put pack hooks like my Dream Hammock has on the right side ( I am a left lay person) of my RR TO KEEP THE TQ in place. That way my TQ stays in place no matter what I do.

I have both a Trail Runner I really like because it is easy for me to exit and I do not like to be enclosed by a net. I put a mitten hook with a short length of elastic to tether my TQ at the foot. I put pack hooks on both sides of my Tree Runner because I want to use them for some other use. I have the SLD Trail Lair that I have not used, but I added hooks to specifically keep my TQ in place.

I tried a lot of gear before I found what works for my needs. Most of us tried many configurations before we found a few we really like. I have a problem with being enclosed. I now use a two door sock (Spindrift) on my RR, one door was too claustrophobic and not enough air circulation.

To each his own.
    Last edited by IRONFISH45; 09-02-2018 at 18:05.

Since you're already comfortable with the lay of the Trail Lair, I worked with Jared last fall on the development of the Voyageur. Here's the link to my review: https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...Storage-review

Unfortunately, it's not being offered right now, but you can always get in contact with him to see if he'd be game for making you one. For me, it's the ultimate winter hammock!
    Last edited by michigandave; 09-02-2018 at 19:37.

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Down!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Knotty mods are excellent for keeping the topquilt in the hammock. I use a Wilderness Logics Snipe for my netless hammock in the colder months, and it works great. I did add a structural ridge line to my snipe hammock. I've camped in the mid 20s with my setup.

Hammock
    ridgerunner
    Tarp
    superfly
    Suspension
    buckles
    I'm enjoying the flexibility of my Blackbird XLC's removable bugnet. Mosquitos seem to disappear in the middle of the night, so hanging the bugnet on the SRL for added airflow has been a blessing.

The topquilt is also hung on the SRL during my midnight strolls.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Chameleon with top cover works for me.

But, as previously noted by others, it depends. Some people get a ton of frost but I get little and sometimes none depending upon relative humidity.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    SLD Custom
    Insulation
    Wilderness Logics
    Suspension
    Straps and Beetle
    Quote Originally Posted by michigandave View Post
    Since you're already comfortable with the lay of the Trail Lair, I worked with Jared last fall on the development of the Voyageur. Here's the link to my review: https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...Storage-review

Unfortunately, it's not being offered right now, but you can always get in contact with him to see if he'd be game for making you one. For me, it's the ultimate winter hammock!
    I do not have a Trail Lair. I'm leaning towards a SLD Tree Runner with the knotty mods right now.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast