Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sleep on right side Head left? Head Right?

What would be more comfortable for a guy that sleeps on his right side? Head Left or Head Right? More specifically I am completely new to hammocks.... I have a crappy ENO and looking to purchase the WBBXLC equivalent Eldorado. I need an underquilt and looking at the 0degree Wookie (I sleep cold around 40degrees). What angle Wookie should I purchase for me sleeping on right side/back. THANKS IN ADVANCED GUYS!

Hammock
    Chameleon Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    KC Cat Tangle 12
    Insulation
    LLG CR, Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie & shackle

Sleep on right side Head left? Head Right?

I would try (the XLC) before you buy (the Wooki). Whatever the extra shipping cost for the two orders is worth getting the lay direction right.

I have slept on my right side in my XLC, and I sleep head left. That way, my face isn't buried into the hammock fabric. Mostly I just sleep on my back, though. In a bed, I sleep on my side, but in a hammock I'm very comfortable on my back.

I prefer head left but I can do w/either... As long as I'm on my back I can sleep however. Also I've never been able to use even the smallest pillow in a hammock no matter how it's pitched.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    As with darn near everything... it depends.

I am right-handed and read early on that the overwhelming majority of right-handed people prefer head-left, feet-right. Not me. I instantly preferred head-right/feet-left and it has remained so. Also, at home I'm much more of a stomach and side sleeper, but in the hammock it's about 85% back, 15% side.

So if any of your purchases involve asymmetrical design features, better to nail down this preference first. It'd be a bummer to buy a setup with asym quilt and net (and even tarp) only to discover you got them backwards!
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    The cured intestines of my enemies
    Tarp
    Wing of bat
    Insulation
    Possum fur
    Suspension
    of disbelief
    Interesting question.

In a bed I sleep on both my left and right sides, without favour.

In a hammock I sleep head-right, and find side-sleeping on my left more comfortable and natural. My face is away from the wall of fabric, and my back seems to fit the hammock better this way.

From this I would suggest you try head-left. However you might find that in a hammock you sleep on your back more than your side - I do. And also that you might be ok with sleeping on either side.

But if you have to pick a side, start with head-left.

Hammock
    Amok Draumr 3.0
    Tarp
    Amok
    Insulation
    Synmat 9 LW
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    As with darn near everything... it depends.

I am right-handed and read early on that the overwhelming majority of right-handed people prefer head-left, feet-right. Not me. I instantly preferred head-right/feet-left and it has remained so.
    this
    also a righty, and I'm head right, feet left, and stay that way on my side too

but because I need to stomach sleep, I also ended up with a Draumr, so now it doesn't matter anymore, heh

Hammock
    ridgerunner
    Tarp
    superfly
    Suspension
    buckles
    I'd recommend postponing the underquilt purchase. Hammocks tend to bring out a different side of us..

If you're intent on it anyways, then head left would be better if you're sleeping on your right side.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    I truly wish I had tried a different hammock before buying my first... (actually, my first was a HH Asym UL and it was good awful, so I don't count that).

I opted for an asym hammock with a dedicated head left.. the double layer WB Blackbird. I had no idea which way I preferred to lay. I used that BB for two seasons, then upgraded to a lighter single layer Blackbird when I got my first underquilt. Used that for a season, still with my head left. Then I DIY'd a chameleon style hammock and after more than three years had a chance to go head right... Holy crap! I was a true head right sleeper. Last night I slept 90% of the night with head right, but being able to flop to that the head left for that 10% was awesome.

My point is.. you might not be able to decide by asking... this question is best answered by doing. Options... Buy both a left and right lay hammock.. try both for at least two or three nights back to back. Or, look for a group hang and try a few hammocks. Or, look on the HF Members Map and find someone near you who can let you sample each lay.
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    Pretty much all above.

The way you sleep in a bed may or may not have anything to do on how you sleep in a hammock. I toss and turn from right to left side and sometimes on my stomach with very little time on my back.

In a hammock, I sleep on my back and barely move. The best sleep ever. I started head right feet left until I was "forced" to sleep head left for 4 days in backyard due to the structure I was using(Had fun watching the Tropical Storm whip around for 3 days). Now that's my goto side unless the view is better on the other side in the woods.

Bottom line is you need to research and test and do some testing and researching and field testing in your yard and go into the backyard to test a little more. Testing and researching is such a "hassle" to find a scientific solution Someone has to do it, right?

Good luck on testing and researching and finding that sweet spot.
    Then the addiction can start and you will have all kinds of hammocks.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    RSBTR UL DIY Hex
    Insulation
    Zepplin
    Suspension
    B.Buckles
    This drove me nuts my first few nights out. I’ve found that as long as I have a pillow (Dutchware Argon) I can sleep either side. But ditto pretty much everyone else here.

-GTL

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast