Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Wooki/EE Revelatio
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Treklight Versatrek for Breaks & Camp Chair

Hey Folks,

I know that all the UL experts say NO CHAIRS. Hey, I’m 60 and sitting on logs or rocks gets really old, really fast. Also, ain’t now way I’ll be able to churn out 20 mile days... which means, I’ll be spending some time on the side of the trail resting my legs and feet.

Been trying to get creative with a solution. Came across this Versatrek chair / swing. It, paired with Whoopie slings is pretty darn light. I’m thinking it might be a justifiable luxury trail item for this old man.

Note: I had considered getting out my Blackbird for breaks but, I can envision it getting wet, etc...

What are your thoughts on this? Thanks in advance!

If it’s worth it to you it’s worth it, but I’ve always been comfortable with dropping my buttpad on a rock or log for breaks.

It’s also used for foot insulation (I use a 3/4 length UQ)

Hammock
    11' SLD Lair
    Tarp
    SLD and HG WP
    Insulation
    HG UQ
    Images
    I camp 3 to 6 miles backcountry about 10 times a year. Im 55 and really like a chair around camp. I switched from helinox
    Chair One to their Zero chair. Saved about a pound. I got the foot pad to make it more stable and that cut weight savings a tad.

Hammock
    DIY TCF Sage Green
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Images
    The thing that keeps me away from "hammock chairs" is the setup/takedown necessary to use them. Plus it may take some additional scouting to find the right trees to use them on. It all depends on what you're trying to accomplish. If you don't mind the extra steps, then it's a good option. I would recommend looking at some of our cottage vendors, who offer them as options as well.

The Helinox Chair Zero weighs in at 1 lb and is quite a bit more expensive (100ish dollars) but is quickly set up and broken down for easy trail use, and you can pretty much use it anywhere. You could get a Stansport (or similar) stool like Shug and some others use from time to time, pretty lightweight and much more inexpensive. No back support (unless maybe against a tree) but comfy.

Here's a very light option that uses your trekking poles (if you use those) as a back support and you sit on the ground.
    https://www.litesmith.com/qwikback-ul-chair/

When you get old like me and you sometimes getting up and down off the ground isn't as easy as it used to be =)

They all have their pluses and minuses. Sometimes I take a little tripod stool from REI, and sometimes not, I just sit on the ground or a rock or log. As mentioned before, depends on the trip and what I'm trying to accomplish. Good luck!

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Btdkd View Post
    Hey Folks,

I know that all the UL experts say NO CHAIRS. Hey, I’m 60 and sitting on logs or rocks gets really old, really fast. Also, ain’t now way I’ll be able to churn out 20 mile days... which means, I’ll be spending some time on the side of the trail resting my legs and feet.

Been trying to get creative with a solution. Came across this Versatrek chair / swing. It, paired with Whoopie slings is pretty darn light. I’m thinking it might be a justifiable luxury trail item for this old man.

Note: I had considered getting out my Blackbird for breaks but, I can envision it getting wet, etc...

What are your thoughts on this? Thanks in advance!
    Not for me (I'm 62), but if people want to carry chairs (or Dutch ovens or whatever) I don't care one way or the other—I'm not carrying it.

Now if they start asking about how to reduce pack weight, that's another story!
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I tried a hammock chair for breaks but took too much time. I like my breaks to be short. So inspired by my buddy Hickery I started carrying a stool.
    Never do I sit for long. Deploys instantly. Easy to use to put boots on.
    17 ounces. $20
    I too am 60.

Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Amok Draumr 3.0
    Tarp
    Amok
    Insulation
    Synmat 9 LW
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    I've also been contemplating the Hickory stool

Hammock
    Wilderness Logic Night OWL
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Pheonix 3s, te-wa
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Another plus of the fold out fabric stool type seat, like mentioned above, is with a practice sit or two it is fine spot to perch over a cat hole.
    I like refried beans. That's why I wanna try fried beans, because maybe they're just as good and we're just wasting time. You don't have to fry them again after all.

Hammock
    11' SLD Lair
    Tarp
    SLD and HG WP
    Insulation
    HG UQ
    Images
    I have one from Kifaru similar to the litesmith it does provide
    back support but too low for me. "shug stool" I use for bow
    hunting from the ground. Lower back pain issues have
    led me to try a lot of different ones.

I did pick up " American
    Camp Chair" from auction site. My fav car camp chair. Nostalgic
    memories from Grandparents.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Wooki 0deg
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I use the REI Flexlite chair. It's not the lightest chair our there, but I have been using it about 5 years now and it's held up great. While it is a pain to set up so I don't use it that often for breaks while hiking, it's great for when you are around camp. I am 56 and I enjoy having a chair that is both off the ground and has a back to it. Hiking with the Boy Scouts, we are not doing any ultralight backpacking anyways

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast