Hammock
    11' SLD Lair
    Tarp
    SLD and HG WP
    Insulation
    HG UQ
    Images

1.2 robic or 1.6 hyper d

Trying to decide on hammock fabric. Weight between 175 and 185.
    I will use it for 3 to 6 mile backcountry trips. Peppy's DH in 1.6
    caught my eye since I've been looking at the DH in 1.2. I understand
    their is a 3 oz weight difference.

Thank you in advance for the reply's.

Hammock
    Walahalla Monolite 1.5
    Tarp
    Dynemma Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Mt Washington
    Suspension
    Whoopies slings
    Images
    When the 1.6 hyper XL went on sale last year I made a 12 footer out of it. I'm 6' 195 lbs and it is the most comfortable hammock in my arsenal and weighs 14.5 oz with ridgeline and CL's.

Hammock
    Dutchware 11' netless
    Tarp
    SLD Trail Haven
    Suspension
    Myerstech dyneema
    It's an opinion thing. I prefer the 1.6 hyper D feel, but 1.2 Robic wins it for me on weight. IMO (and you should get other opinions too) the hyper D feels more soft and fabricy to me, and maybe a little more stretch/give in it? the Robic felt pretty robust and supportive, without as much stretch. Others will disagree.

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    Just got my DH Freebird #7299 in 1.2 Robic. Been sleeping in it for the last several nights and for me it's the best hammock i've ever had to date.

5'6" @165-170#

Stretch seems minimal to me. My other hammocks were made out of the old discontinued ripstop 1.0 so that may have a lot to do with it.

Rolloff
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    Trail Lair/LSOH WarriorUL
    Tarp
    ManyFly's/HG WP
    Insulation
    HG/Speer/WB
    Suspension
    Straps/Buckles
    How does the 1.6 HyperD compare to the 1.7 that Brandon uses in the XLC? Just for reference, I'm used to Hexon 1.0, and while I really like the XLC, I just can't get used to the fabric.
    Last edited by Nameth; 08-31-2018 at 15:09.

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    1.6 Hyper D is awesome. I highly recommend it!

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Down!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I can't say a bad thing about either fabric. I feel like the 1.2 robic is a bit more robust feeling. It's less stretchy for sure, but I kind of like the stretchiness of the Hyper D. I sleep like a baby in both.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Nameth View Post
    How does the 1.6 HyperD compare to the 1.7 that Brandon uses in the XLC? Just for reference, I'm used to Hexon 1.0, and while I really like the XLC, I just can't get used to the fabric.
    1.6 HyperD is a 40D ripstop nylon. The 1.7 fabric is a 70D nylon tafetta. The HyperD is noticeable (to me) more stretchy than the 1.7 nylon. When used in a single layer hammock, I get backpain from HyperD, while the 1.7 nylon is very comfortable. Interestingly, when used in a double layer hammock, the 1.6 HyperD is on the border to becoming too stiff (I LOVE a 1.0 HyperD DL, though!), while the 1.7 nylon is among the most comfortable DLs I have ever used.

If you like Hexon 1.0, and don't like the 1.7 nylon, the 1.6 HyperD could work for you.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    I've done DIY hammocks in both of these fabrics and you can't go wrong with either. I am 185 - 195lbs depending on the season. Both hammocks are single layer.

The Hyper D 1.6 has a silky smooth feel to it. Definitely a more robust feeling fabric. I compared half a dozen hammocks side by side before settling on the Hyper D for my first DIY. Very nice fabric to work with too. Very little stretch. With a Zingit ARL, micro cord side pull outs, removable integrated bug net and twin dual opening #3 coil zippers, the 11' hammock weighs 12.9 oz.

The second DIY I did, a Half Wit style hammock is in Robic 1.2. Oddly, it feels like it has less stretch than the heavier Hyper D, which I attribute to the diamond rip stop pattern. In hand, there is no question that the 1.2 is a lighter fabric and when I first handled it I was concerned it would be too light and stretchy.. it's almost transparent. But once I had some hang time I found it is amazingly comfortable. I made an 11' with 0.5 noseeum. With an ARL and micro cord side pullouts the rig comes in under 10 oz, and packs down to a quarter of the size of the Hyper D hammock (most likely due to the lighter and minimalist bug net).

I actually contemplated Robic 1.0 for a while and regrettably, didn't use that for the Half Wit.. only because that would have made a true UL rig with the partial bug net.

I have thoughts of making another 11' with integrated bug net with only one partial zipper, as a middle weight option. I would choose the Robic 1.2 again for sure.
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    Trail Lair/LSOH WarriorUL
    Tarp
    ManyFly's/HG WP
    Insulation
    HG/Speer/WB
    Suspension
    Straps/Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by hutzelbein View Post
    1.6 HyperD is a 40D ripstop nylon. The 1.7 fabric is a 70D nylon tafetta. The HyperD is noticeable (to me) more stretchy than the 1.7 nylon. When used in a single layer hammock, I get backpain from HyperD, while the 1.7 nylon is very comfortable. Interestingly, when used in a double layer hammock, the 1.6 HyperD is on the border to becoming too stiff (I LOVE a 1.0 HyperD DL, though!), while the 1.7 nylon is among the most comfortable DLs I have ever used.

If you like Hexon 1.0, and don't like the 1.7 nylon, the 1.6 HyperD could work for you.
    Thanks for the response and explanation hutzelbein. Looking forward to trying out the HyperD Sparrow I just bought from Peppy. So I'll know soon enough.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast