Dutchware Chameleon Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20*
    Suspension
    June Bugs
    Quote Originally Posted by awilder View Post
    I believe the smell of duck down was an issue at one point, but has since been resolved. I think that came up in an interview with Hammock Gear.
    I got mine in June, and it smells. But Like I said it's only when there's moisture in the air, which happens to be almost every time I camp.

Hammock
    Traveler
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Incubator
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    I got my econ quilts about a month ago and haven't used them. But I got them out today, and, you are correct, they do have a distinctive odor. I don't think that would bother me much with the incubator, but I'll have to try out the burrow one night to see if it's bothersome.

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    Perhaps it has more to do with the supplier HG uses for their duck down. I have three duck down quilts from Loco Libre, and have not noticed any discernable odor from the down. I'm not implying that HG quilts are inferior in any way, just that their supplier of duck down may not wash the down the same way as other suppliers.

Or, I may not be as sensitive to certain odors as others (which is entirely plausible).

Regarding the duck versus goose down, the only two quilts that I have owned and smelled we're both goose, a 20° Incubator Premium and a 20° Flightjacket. The smell was not overwhelming, and I only noticed it when the quilts were hanging in my closet. Recently, I breezed through a thesis regarding the insulating properties of down and, bottom line, there is little that differentiates the two other than the weight, since duck down plumes are slightly smaller. IMHO, the fact that ducks are slung lower and, therefore, their down stinks, is pure quackery (pun intended). Any smell, or lack thereof, is strictly due to processing.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Still toying with
    Thanks for all the answers. I decided to go with the Econ underquilt and the premium top quilt. I figured just in case there is a smell issue, I'd rather have it under me rather than in my face.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20*
    Suspension
    June Bugs
    Quote Originally Posted by kurtisd75 View Post
    Thanks for all the answers. I decided to go with the Econ underquilt and the premium top quilt. I figured just in case there is a smell issue, I'd rather have it under me rather than in my face.
    Yeah it's hard to miss the smell when it's next to your face. Again, I only notice the smell when theres moisture in the air. It doesn't smell when it's hanging at home. But since I'm always camping near water the smell creeps out during the night

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    Wooki UQ; LL/HG TQ
    Suspension
    CL w/ Tensa 4
    Quote Originally Posted by kurtisd75 View Post

I have two Econ top quilts and my adult daughter has one. None of those three have ever had a discerable odor.

Hammock
    ridgerunner
    Tarp
    superfly
    Suspension
    buckles
    My [Econ] topquilts arrived in May of this year, then I immediately left for New England where heavy rain hit the White Mountains just before I arrived at camp. It no longer rained during my stay, but cloud coverage in the area was still moderately heavy. IIRC, humidity was at 60% with a low of 40°. Before this, I spent two nights at Blackwoods Campground at Acadia National Park in Maine with 60-65% humidity and a low of 60°.

Either it was not humid enough or my sense of smell is shot to hell. Thankfully, I did not notice any smell either.

Note that I regularly sleep with an L.L.Bean 700-fill warm sateen goose down comforter during the four colder months; it also doesn't seem to smell.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Warbonnet
    Insulation
    HG Econ
    Suspension
    DutchWare Beetle
    I have several HG Econ top and underquilts in various temp. ratings. I have noticed a slight odor especially on humid nights. I always just figured it was coming from me. Never mind....it probably was! My friend has a premium goose down one and it does compress down a little bit smaller, but mine was only about 2 ounces heavier and his wallet was a hundred bucks lighter. So I guess it balanced out.

Hammock
    SLD 11'
    Tarp
    11' HG w/ doors
    Insulation
    DIY or HG
    Suspension
    Webbing/Beckett
    Duck good does smell, took near 6 months for mine to air out. I woulda been pretty PO if it was a tq as my allergies act up but was fine and barely noticable as an uq. No regrets on my econ uq and glad I didn't pay for the premium.

The fabric on the econ may be cheaper then the premium but it's still a great fabric.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast