HH Jungle Safari Zip
    Tarp
    HH Typhoon Poly
    Insulation
    HH Pad Wool Fleece
    Suspension
    Stock

How close is too close?

As cooking fires go, I've read a lot about folks cooking right outside their hammock. I presume that most are using backpacking or small gas fired stoves, (I have a dual fuel Coleman, and can siphon gas from my Jeep or Motorcycle) but I do not use it in that my cooking campfire is at least 20' from me and I car camp, steaks, taters, corn on the cob, etc.. Wood is plentiful and I like a good size fire and don't wish to burn holes in my hammock or tarp but a little warmth could be nice at times. Does anyone have a method by which they can have a nearer fire? Real small fire? Maybe let a fire burn itself down to coals before setting up the hammock or something? I stay up real late when I'm out, sleep as late as I please, don't care so set up in the dark. I just don't see any way around this.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    You can have a fire as close as you are willing to chance burning a hole in your tarp. Been there done that so now I keep the tarp in the pack when I have a fire or have the fire down wind and several yards away from the equipment.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC and DIY Double Layer
    Tarp
    DIY Hex
    Insulation
    Wooki / Top quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    I'll use an alcohol or gas stove under my tarp but not a wood stove.

A small wood stove (e.g. Emberlit / Vargo / etc) might allow you to have a small and more controllable wood fire near your tarp but I wouldn't risk it.
    Given your stated purpose I doubt that this would suit your needs.

On the rare occasion I have an open wood fire it's always well away from my hammock/tarp as well as downwind.

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Bad idea.
    That said, wood is not wood. Some sparks constantly, some, almost never. Nice, seasoned white oak makes a very civilized fire; but it's still a bad idea.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    HH Jungle Safari Zip
    Tarp
    HH Typhoon Poly
    Insulation
    HH Pad Wool Fleece
    Suspension
    Stock
    As Confucius says, wood fires sparks and nylon don't mix. Thank you all.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    I watch MCQBushcraft on youtube and he often has a fire going right under the tarp. Even though burning gear is the major concern, I always focused more on everything stinking like smoke. I can't stand that. Sure, when you out camping many people like the smell, but in my car and then in a clean home with $600 worth of down quilts...absolutely not.

So I'm always burning downwind and far, far away.

Hammock
    WB XLC DL 1.7
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    Wooki/Mamba
    Images
    That would be the Costco size bag of nopes. If I need more warmth than my insulation, I'll take a hot water bottle or some chemical hand warmers in with me.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    If you do....play the wind.
    Follow the spark and ember and be upwind.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Half-wit (3 season), Chameleon (win
    Tarp
    Superfly, Thunderf
    Insulation
    EE Revelation 20*,
    Suspension
    Whoopie!
    They say pack your fears, and an unregulated, unattended fire is one of my biggest. I don’t go to sleep until my fire is at least down to coals, regardless. And today’s lightweight gear is exceptionally prone to fire. Think your clothes are safe? Think again, those synthetic shirts and undies from Under Armour everyone loves we’re banned by the military because when they catch on fire they melt to your skin.

So long story short: I keep my fire a good distance away from my sleeping system and don’t rely on it for heat once I’m asleep.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 double
    Tarp
    WB Mambajamba
    Insulation
    DIY syn quilts
    Suspension
    Line / Strap
    Hmm, I'm probably going to be the outlier here.

I have for many years practised setting up a three point camp, some folks call it a triangle camp.
    I set up a sleeping area, and separate cooking & latrine areas.

I spread these a good distance apart, with my cooking and sleeping areas at least 150 ft. apart. The general rule of thumb is actually 100 yards apart, but I'll admit to being a bit lazy.

I have a fire, or wood stove, or gas stove etc only in my cooking area, and hang my food there also (Ursack or Canister if you please).

I suppose this is an older method practiced in bear country that helps insulate your sleeping area from food odors, and keeps the oils and odors produced during cooking from binding to your shelter fabrics.

I will place my latrine area behind some bushes if possible, also away from my sleeping area.

I guess this method rules out having coffee in your hammock which seems to be popular here, but something I prefer not to practice.

The upside is that I will never burn a hole in my hammock or tarp, and any smells that attract a bear "should" be well away from where I am sleeping, knock on wood.
    I like to go solo - off trail - immerse myself in the area - explore - eat really well - and make it back home.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast