Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

suspension webbing strap stretch? Hammock stretch?

Hello all. I've been spending quite a few nights out in the hammock in the woods behind my house. Every morning I wake up and the hammock is about four inches lower than the previous evening. First I thought it was the straps slipping through the cinch buckles (Warbonnet webbing/buckles). But the last two nights I've tied a slippery half-hitch behind the buckle and the problem still exists in the morning. The straps are not slipping down the trees and the carabiner is not rotating around the tree. As far as I can see the only possible culprits left are the straps and/or the hammock itself (Ridgerunner) stretching. Naturally if it's the hammock stretching there's nothing I can do about it. If it's the straps - what kind can you recommend that won't stretch AND will work with the Warbonnet buckles but also won't slip through the buckles? Are Warbonnet's straps known to stretch? I've seen some recommendations for cargo lashing straps (like from Walmart) - although I know I don't want bright orange or yellow straps and I'm not sure if they'll work with the Warbonnet buckles. Any input will be appreciated. Thanks.

Hammock
    Juniper or Walhalla
    Tarp
    Trailheadz winter
    Insulation
    20° Etherial
    Suspension
    Straps/Breeze buck
    I didnt see a lot of stretch with my straps on my Wbbb

How much are the trees leaning at this point?

Seriously, Warbonnet's straps are definitely not known to stretch. I suppose any high-quality new strap takes a very small "set" at first but that can hardly be the issue. Likewise, any light nylon hammock has some "give" in it but doesn't perceptibly permanently stretch over time.

You could verify if the straps are slipping by making a mark or putting a piece of tape on the straps. I'm sure a half-hitch will contain slippage but is it possible that the half-hitch is tightening while slippage is occurring with the buckles? Those buckles hold pretty darn well but a tiny bit of slippage could be possible.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    I've used my Warbonnet Ridgerunner for a few years and the only "stretch" I get is when I first set the hammock up and climb in the first time. After that it doesn't move. I'm using the stock straps and they have never moved on me and I weight right at 200lbs. How much do you weight and how old is your RR?

Images
    I observe that that both the stock WB strap and the webbing I get from the hardware store have a little bit of stretch. I actually like that, as it gives the entire ride a forgiving bounciness. It usually sags a few inches overnight, So I make sure to set it high before going to bed.

Amsteel whoopi slings definitely have none of that stretch, so you might consider that as an alternative.

Quote Originally Posted by TrailSlug View Post
    I've used my Warbonnet Ridgerunner for a few years and the only "stretch" I get is when I first set the hammock up and climb in the first time. After that it doesn't move. I'm using the stock straps and they have never moved on me and I weight right at 200lbs. How much do you weight and how old is your RR?
    My Ridgerunner is about one year old. I'm about 220 lbs. It may be that it's stretching as soon as I get in. I've gotten to where I can pretty much eyeball the setup/height/angle and so don't end up actually getting in till I'm ready to stay in for the night. Next time I will get in and back out before I fully settle down for the night and see if I need to make an immediate adjustment. My at-home site is on a slant. When I sit in initially and slip off my shoes, they usually fall a couple of inches to the ground. In the morning it has settled/stretched enough that I can slide my feet right into my shoes from the sitting position.

Quote Originally Posted by TominMN View Post
    How much are the trees leaning at this point?

Love that! I could certainly lose a few pounds. These are big trees though.

You could verify if the straps are slipping by making a mark or putting a piece of tape on the straps. I'm sure a half-hitch will contain slippage but is it possible that the half-hitch is tightening while slippage is occurring with the buckles? Those buckles hold pretty darn well but a tiny bit of slippage could be possible.
    I'll have to try the tape idea. I've tied the half-hitches right next to the buckles and it doesn't seem like they are any tighter into the buckles in the morning - but you never know...

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    So far, I have not seen an excessive amount of stretch with any of the Warbonnet straps I own. If the Ridgerunner itself would stretch by 4", you would definitely see it, because only the fabric could stretch that much, not the webbing sewn into the edges. I'd imagine it would look like a bathtub in that case. My guess would be that the buckles did slip. Are you sure you tied the half-hitch correctly? Maybe mark the webbing with chalk above the cinch buckles before you get in.

If it's not the cinch buckles either, there are not a whole lot of possibilities. If the trees are very far apart, it could be the stretch of the webbing (the more webbing you use, the more noticeable the stretch) or the trees are bending. Or both. Maybe post a picture?

I went out this afternoon and set it up for a two hour nap. I didn't tie half-hitches on either end outside the buckles but I marked with tape on the straps exactly where they entered the buckle. After being in it for two hours and "bouncing" occasionally, I got out to find that the webbing had NOT slipped at all. Not a bit. But again the hammock did feel slightly closer to the ground upon exiting. The hammock also felt "looser" than it did initially. I'm beginning to think it is probably a combination of some hammock material stretch and some strap stretch. This is certainly not a big deal but it does surprise me that I can notice a difference in such a short period of time. Unfortunately I didn't get back out immediately after getting in to see if it was something that happened immediately (it is a pain getting old and forgetful). I will try that next time. Losing 20 lbs probably wouldn't hurt either. It seems that the half-hitches aren't necessary as they didn't alleviate the problem and there seems to be no buckle slippage. I'll probably try the tape marking on the straps again when I do a full over-nighter.

Thank you all for your input.

The trees, by the way, are huge - so I know tree bend is not a factor.

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    As a word of caution: Do not tie slipped half’s above the buckles. It can cause the webbing to be pulled out of proper alignment in the buckles which can cause damage and or failure of the webbing. You are more likely to get the buckles to slip with a slipped half than without.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast