Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    Images
    What would happen if you just pulled the pole out? Does the tarp still function? If not, that would be a design consideration for a 2.0 version.

Doing without the pole might be useful if:

- Snow load would be lessened by simply having a traditional taut ridgeline.
    - Pole breaks ;-(

Hammock
    AMOK Draumr 3.0
    My two cents worth on the "rain on the roof" comment...
    Having pitched Old'#1 several times now [in several configz], it does not seem to have any "bucket" that is going to catch water. It doesn't take much slope to shed just fine.
    I usually have one side slightly higher anyway, with the back to the wind.
    The fact that Dynamystic told me that his PCT friend came through OK with the sealed number he finished out with says pooling up top is probably of little real concern.
    Guess that why we are testing prototypes right now....

East Coasters~ make it to the MAHHA 10 days from now in PA. The will be a few DFz in the trees to be seen and played with!
    >> Onward thru the fog...>>
    Find me on my blog Moosenut Falls https://moosenutfalls.wordpress.com/

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dynamystic View Post
    First off, nice work Shug! I love that you are playing with various setup ideas. You are already showing new sides of the DynaFly that haven't been seen. Bravo! I'm still concerned that you are gonna overdo it with that shoulder but you should be proud of your one handed accomplishments.

This is really good for me. I've been playing with this thing for so long that I take for granted things about the DynaFly that are different from normal tarps and require special attention. I've been trying to shoot a setup video but my timing keeps happening to coincide with rain around these parts. I look forward to the MAHHA hang where I can show folks how the design works firsthand.

To answer the question, much of the loose fabric and the concern over pooling of rain on the roof can be resolved by loosening all the ground attachments and then pulling more tension into the DynaFly's ridgeline. A taut ridgeline along with the center pole should alone pull any loose fabric from the roof. It will also flatten and elevate the ridgeline providing a nice gradient for the shedding of water. With the roof tight and smooth, it should be easier to find the tension sweet spot with the vestibule and the rest of the panels.

Shug, are you anchoring to a piece of firewood or is that just to cover the stake so you won't step on it? Either way, with the ridgeline tightened, it should be easier to add a little more tension to the vestibule which should also help smooth things out. If you like where the rest of the panels are pulling and notice the "C" curve in the vestibule, you can try making the angle a little steeper and that will often tighten loose fabric.

Regarding the snow comment, the ridgeline tension should help with that also since you will find how structurally stable she is afterwards. However, I have not tested her with any snow load yet so I can't say for sure how the DynaFly will respond. I have a feeling that the stiffness provided by the .380 center pole would allow snow to gather on the roof. If the load is too much, I could foresee possible problems. I have thought about this and if I were to expect a heavy snow, I would actually do something that seems counter-intuitive. I would replace the .380 center pole with a .340 center pole. As mentioned in the OP, a .340 pole works well for pitching the DynaFly. The only issue with it is that is flexes more in heavy winds, losing some of the aerodynamics. The other "issue" is that the tips can be pulled down easier by tension in the various guy lines which makes pitching it a little more finnicky. When the tips are pulled down, this leads to a much steeper pitch to the roof. Aside from the fiddle factor, this is only an issue as it drastically increases the amount of ducking required and also shortens my view when the vestibules are rolled up. Why would I use it for snow? I have a feeling that because the .340 pole allows for a much steeper roof, it would also allow a heavy snow fall to slide off the roof easier when it piled high enough to bend the center pole. Again, this has not been tested and is all theoretical.

In the end, have fun playing with her and don't forget that she doesn't have to be pitched perfectly or be pretty to still function well.

Happy Tinkering!
    The firewood is just helping keep my stakes put as I tug and pull on the DynaFly getting to know it. Thunderstorms tonight so that will be goo. I did break a couple of line-lock hooks pulling the ridgeline to hard from the line. Now I know to pull the tarp and d-ring along with the line-lock to get it right! But I have extra of those line-lock hooks. I am heavy-handed!!!!
    So roomy laying under it with a Luci-Light hanging from an inner d-ring. Feels like I am in a cabin.
    Can't wait to keep messing with.

Snow....time will tell.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Chameleon, Halfwit
    Tarp
    DIY DynaFly
    Insulation
    EE TQ & UQ,
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by leiavoia View Post
    What would happen if you just pulled the pole out? Does the tarp still function? If not, that would be a design consideration for a 2.0 version.

Doing without the pole might be useful if:

- Snow load would be lessened by simply having a traditional taut ridgeline.
    - Pole breaks ;-(
    Good thought. The DynaFly will still function without a center pole. The "V" that makes the vestibule still pulls taut and the corners and wings are tensioned off of the "V" seams anyways. The only downside is loose fabric in about an 8" circumference around the pole attachment. This is because the corners are darted to create a little more space for more head room. Functionally, its not much of an issue. If the pole breaks you can still stay dry. Aside from the lack of headroom, the problem is just mostly aesthetic. I can envision a DynaFly where the center pole was optional perhaps, but I struggle with how the center pole could pull enough out of a flat panel to give me the headroom and view that I want without seriously deforming other seams or edges of the Fly.

Edit: An optional center pole is a really interesting line of thought and it got me thinking for sure. I'm not currently able to see a way to keep the vestibule feature on a flat panel without essentially the same seam pattern that I have with the current design. If that's the case, I'd rather have the headroom and extra view. If anyone can envision a way to keep the vestibule feature without all the seams, I'm all ears. It could be a really cool way to streamline a lighter weight solo only version.
    Last edited by Dynamystic; 10-02-2018 at 21:07.
    Be what Is to Become
    Become what Is to Be
    Make the Future
    Given Thee...

Hammock
    AMOK Draumr 3.0
    Shug: "So roomy laying under it with a Luci-Light hanging from an inner d-ring. Feels like I am in a cabin.
    Can't wait to keep messing with."

I really love the spaciousness under there.

Dynamystic~~ any chance you can find and re-post the photos out of the 2013 thread...?
    They no longer show there.
    I think everyone following this thread would like to see the evolution
    >> Onward thru the fog...>>
    Find me on my blog Moosenut Falls https://moosenutfalls.wordpress.com/

Hammock
    Chameleon, Halfwit
    Tarp
    DIY DynaFly
    Insulation
    EE TQ & UQ,
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    The firewood is just helping keep my stakes put as I tug and pull on the DynaFly getting to know it. Thunderstorms tonight so that will be goo. I did break a couple of line-lock hooks pulling the ridgeline to hard from the line. Now I know to pull the tarp and d-ring along with the line-lock to get it right! But I have extra of those line-lock hooks. I am heavy-handed!!!!
    So roomy laying under it with a Luci-Light hanging from an inner d-ring. Feels like I am in a cabin.
    Can't wait to keep messing with.

Snow....time will tell.
    Shug
    Aha! I thought I had mentioned it but in case I forgot, I figured that you would have your favorite tarp suspension to use with the DynaFly and anything I would have provided would have had to have been cheap anyway, so i didn't include one. Give her a tug with a couple of stingers if you got 'em. I've used a continuous ridge with prussiks also, its difficult to get a lot of tension, but the continuous line keeps the ridge seam elevated. Loop aliens work well also. I didn't intend for Linlock hooks to support the heft and tension of the DynaFly. Sry, we're learning together.

Yay! I'm happy to hear you are getting a FEEL for it.
    Be what Is to Become
    Become what Is to Be
    Make the Future
    Given Thee...

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Aha! I thought I had mentioned it but in case I forgot, I figured that you would have your favorite tarp suspension to use with the DynaFly and anything I would have provided would have had to have been cheap anyway, so i didn't include one. Give her a tug with a couple of stingers if you got 'em. I've used a continuous ridge with prussiks also, its difficult to get a lot of tension, but the continuous line keeps the ridge seam elevated. Loop aliens work well also. I didn't intend for Linlock hooks to support the heft and tension of the DynaFly. Sry, we're learning together.

Yay! I'm happy to hear you are getting a FEEL for it.
    Ahhhhhhh!
    Gotcha.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Chameleon, Halfwit
    Tarp
    DIY DynaFly
    Insulation
    EE TQ & UQ,
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Flash Grundelore View Post
    Shug: "So roomy laying under it with a Luci-Light hanging from an inner d-ring. Feels like I am in a cabin.
    Can't wait to keep messing with."

I really love the spaciousness under there.

Dynamystic~~ any chance you can find and re-post the photos out of the 2013 thread...?
    They no longer show there.
    I think everyone following this thread would like to see the evolution
    I've been working on my "History of the DynaFly" post and hope to finish it before MAHHA. I think I found all the old photos but knowing which was what is a little confusing at this point. The new post will give the whole story though, complete with a photo journey. It's been fun going back through everything while working on it here and there.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Be what Is to Become
    Become what Is to Be
    Make the Future
    Given Thee...

Hammock
    DIY ROBIC
    Tarp
    OES MacCat SilPoly
    Insulation
    down bag, Klymit
    Suspension
    Kevlar+Str.Anchors
    Quote Originally Posted by Flash Grundelore View Post
    East Coasters~ make it to the MAHHA 10 days from now in PA. The will be a few DFz in the trees to be seen and played with!
    I wish I could!

Images
    Good thought. The DynaFly will still function without a center pole. The "V" that makes the vestibule still pulls taut and the corners and wings are tensioned off of the "V" seams anyways. The only downside is loose fabric in about an 8" circumference around the pole attachment. This is because the corners are darted to create a little more space for more head room. Functionally, its not much of an issue. If the pole breaks you can still stay dry. Aside from the lack of headroom, the problem is just mostly aesthetic. I can envision a DynaFly where the center pole was optional perhaps, but I struggle with how the center pole could pull enough out of a flat panel to give me the headroom and view that I want without seriously deforming other seams or edges of the Fly.

Edit: An optional center pole is a really interesting line of thought and it got me thinking for sure. I'm not currently able to see a way to keep the vestibule feature on a flat panel without essentially the same seam pattern that I have with the current design. If that's the case, I'd rather have the headroom and extra view. If anyone can envision a way to keep the vestibule feature without all the seams, I'm all ears. It could be a really cool way to streamline a lighter weight solo only version.
    I’m really thinking about pole removal in terms of a safety fallback rather than a feature. Imagine you’re 10 miles into the middle of nowhere and then realize you forgot to pack the pole. Now what? Ideally, you still have a fully functional tarp, just as good as any other tarp, but perhaps missing a few luxury features like the vestibule.

Would it make a difference if there was a ribbon tie at the very top to pass a CRL through?

• + New Posts
  • Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast