SLD Trail Lair, Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG, Zpacks, DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre, HG
    Suspension
    MyersTech
    Images
    What a great idea! Looks like a great solution especially for colder temps. It'd be great to see some "in the field" pics when you have the opportunity to get out with your dogs.

Hammock
    Amok Draumr 3.0
    Tarp
    Amok
    Insulation
    Synmat 9 LW
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    The kids here were pretty psyched to see your pup tent

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    Sam is a small horse wow 120lbs
    While Sam is a good size dog, his size pales compared to a friends St Bernard. Sam got to meet Zeus and when Sam saw how big Zeus was, Sam move behind me and had a look on his face like...WTF is that thing. Zeus' head is about the size of Sam. Zeus wanted to play but Sam would not have anything to do with him.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    Hennessy Expedition-Equip Mosquito-
    Tarp
    Hennessy and Yukon
    Insulation
    Snugpak Underblank
    Suspension
    Daisey chain
    Very nice. Inexpensive and effective.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    Wooki UQ; LL/HG TQ
    Suspension
    CL w/ Tensa 4
    Quote Originally Posted by bobamos View Post
    Very nice. Inexpensive and effective.
    Thanks, Bobamos! Used it on 3 campouts so far and like it more with each use. Will be using it again this weekend. I really like that the dogs can all curl up together comfortably in it. They got used to this new sleeping system very quickly, and, remarkably, they go through the night without getting their lines tangled, even though they are all tied out together to the extra ridgeline. They just all three settle right in and stay put nicely through the night...no restless moving from spot to spot under my hammock now that they have this sheltered nook!

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Sil,
    Insulation
    3s Yeti
    Suspension
    straps & buckles
    Images
    I spent more time looking at your beautiful dogs than your wind break. Those are some sweet pups!

Hammock
    Switchback
    Tarp
    OES MacCat's
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Very nice idea. I have a Labrador Pup who I think this is a perfect solution for. I like it that its inexpensive too. Even if it needs "beefing-up" after some use, great way to experiment and start camping with your Dog.
    Thanks for sharing how you do it.

-Islander

Hammock
    Hennessy Exp Ultralight Zip
    Tarp
    Hummingbird Heron
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Hummingbird Straps
    some good looking pups! We just got an Australian shepherd puppy and I can't wait to take him out on the trail. I cut a sleeping pad down and used a woobie to make him a sleeping bag. this is a great idea, as I've also been looking for options of what shelter to use for him.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    Wooki UQ; LL/HG TQ
    Suspension
    CL w/ Tensa 4
    Thanks Andy “Bull” Bullock, P-Dub, and Papa Tac!

Quote Originally Posted by Dlrocm View Post
    that's pretty nice! is the dog shelter waterproof? check out Simply light designs biker bliss tarp. it has one side wider to act as a porch for a bike. it could possibly protect your pups from the rain or wind.

Dirocm I haven’t had the opportunity yet to try it in the rain. In the photos above, I had it teamed up with my MiniFly tarp. I’ve also used it on another campout with my even smaller Edge tarp. Both tarps teamed up well with it for WINTER camping where I’m primarily looking for a WIND break to protect the dogs. It serves that purpose quite well with my more minimal tarps. However, if I was anticipating a strong chance of rain I would not risk using either of those tarps with it. I WOULD use my SuperFly with it and I’m confident it’d be a fine rain shelter under my porched out SuperFly. The pup tent wouldn’t need to be waterproof to keep them dry if it was set up under the shelter of my SuperFly...it WOULD protect fine from wind and blowing rain but would not have to withstand rain pounding directly down on it, since when I use it with my SuperFly, one side of the SuperFly totally shelters the top and the open side of the pup tent. The last time I camped, I used my SuperFly with it and really liked that configuration best of all.

Quote Originally Posted by ObdewlaX View Post
    What a great idea! Looks like a great solution especially for colder temps. It'd be great to see some "in the field" pics when you have the opportunity to get out with your dogs.
    ObdewlaX those ARE in the field pics in my OP...but I’ll try and see if I can find pics from my two subsequent campouts to post...

Quote Originally Posted by gunner76 View Post
    While Sam is a good size dog, his size pales compared to a friends St Bernard. Sam got to meet Zeus and when Sam saw how big Zeus was, Sam move behind me and had a look on his face like...WTF is that thing. Zeus' head is about the size of Sam. Zeus wanted to play but Sam would not have anything to do with him.
    LOL, I’m confident both Sam AND ZEUS would fit together in this pup tent. It is really very spacious.

Quote Originally Posted by Country Roads View Post
    I spent more time looking at your beautiful dogs than your wind break. Those are some sweet pups!
    Awww, thanks Country Roads! I do love German Shepherds...especially the Czech working lines!

Quote Originally Posted by islander View Post
    Very nice idea. I have a Labrador Pup who I think this is a perfect solution for. I like it that its inexpensive too. Even if it needs "beefing-up" after some use, great way to experiment and start camping with your Dog.
    Thanks for sharing how you do it.

-Islander
    Thanks, Islander! I bet it’d work great for your lab. I run a dedicated ridgeline just for the dogs... tie the ends of the pup tent, porch mode style to the dog ridgeline and prussick leashes to the dog ridgeline as well, to tether each dog at night, allowing each enough slack to go in the pup tent or sprawl beneath my hammock for a more open air sleeping spot (my big male prefers being more in the open) but not enough slack to get entangled with my tarp stakes! I use the heavier of the two available diameters of Lash It for the Dog ridgeline and Mule Tape for the “leash” portion. Mule tape is less abrasive than Lash it or paracord would be if it gets wrapped around my dog’s leg...and it is cheap so if my leash devouring youngest pup scissor bites it, it’s no big deal, I just knot it back together. Really, though, they’ve learned to not get themselves tangled or tangle with each other. My big male used to LUNGE on the line if a raccoon dared enter our camp, but he’s even learned just to give a low growl and leave it at that. (When I was using paracord for the Dog ridgeline he’d invariably snap the line, but he’s never snapped the Lash It / Mule Tape combo and so now he doesn’t even waste his time lunging. Just growls the raccoons away.)

Quote Originally Posted by INhammockcamper View Post
    some good looking pups! We just got an Australian shepherd puppy and I can't wait to take him out on the trail. I cut a sleeping pad down and used a woobie to make him a sleeping bag. this is a great idea, as I've also been looking for options of what shelter to use for him.
    I bring a cheap WalMart blue CCF pad and cover the tent floor with that. In the summer, it protects the tent floor from dog claws and in cold weather it will give the dogs some insulation from the ground. Insulation from the ground and protection from the wind and rain/snow is all my dogs need...especially with the three of them able to curl up against each other.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    Wooki UQ; LL/HG TQ
    Suspension
    CL w/ Tensa 4
    Well, looked back on my phone and don’t really have very good pics of the campout where I paired my porched out SuperFly with the pup’s tent, but Ill post the couple I have...

You can see in this pic how the porched out SuperFly engulfs the pup tent, thus my tarp provides the dogs any needed rain protection while the pup tent protects them from the WIND that would otherwise blow in under the SuperFly at ground level even if battened down in storm mode.

This is how the pup tent (bivy) looks packed up. (Fine for car camping!)

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12