Almost exactly 12 yeas ago, I ventured forth on a big change: back packing the wilderness western mountains using a hammock and tarp rather than a tent, or a tarp while on the ground. I knew nothing of this game, but was talked into trying it by a friend. I chose the HH Explorer UL, knowing of nothing else. I also chose the HH Super Shelter for insulation, again not knowing of any other options, and with no understanding of how it worked. It was way too hot to practice with any of this in late Aug in MS, plus I did not have good trees. But my buddy from NC said he would help me figure it all out once we got to the Wind River Mountains, WY.

Suffering severe altitude sickness and the brain fog that went with it, I was really confused about how to set up that HHSS 1st night at 10,000 feet. My buddy wasn't much help either. But in retrospect, just by following directions, I think we actually got that part right, more or less. But I was unable to get all the way into the sleeping bag once inside the hammock, and woke up shivering at about 0200 and 22F. I abandoned the hammock for pads on the ground, and slept warm under the stars, out in the open next to some of my buddies tent. Thank goodness it didn't rain. I was dog cussing hammocks and my idiocy for messing with my tried and true ground system.

But the next night we got to camp earlier, and I had more time to figure it out. Bottom line: I slept warm and toasty rest of the trip, and with a glorious comfort, far superior to my buddies in their tents. The only trouble was the last very windy night, when the loose tarp- characteristic of the tiny HH diamond tarp attached to the HH suspension rather than to the trees - kept me awake(for maybe an hour) with an incredible amount of noise. It would crack and pop in those high winds, which was coming in the foot end of the tarp, unimpeded. But noise or not, I finally fell asleep and did not stir until bright sun and noisy buddies breaking camp woke me at 0900. They had all had a cold, miserable night on uneven, rocky ground, mine was profoundly restful.

But I never could get that tarp right. If attached as designed to the hammock suspension, it becomes loose and floppy once I get in and caused the hammock to sag, bringing the tarp lower with it. If I attached the tarp to the trees, once I sagged away from the tarp, I felt like I was really exposed to the weather. Here is a picture from that trip, but it always got even worse once I got in the hammock:

I did get better with getting the tarp tighter on the hammock, but it still all went to crap once I got in, then it would be ridiculously loose. But here is the trick I settled on that keeps the tarp both close to the hammock for adequate coverage, AND plenty tight: a short piece of strong shock cord on the 2 side tie outs. Then when the tarp gets loose from coming closer to the ground when it sags with the hammock, the shock cord shortens also, but maintains tension and keeps the tarp it tight. I have also experimented with shock cord on the tarps connection to the suspension, I think that also worked.

It is mighty handy to have only 2 points that need staking or tying to trees, very convenient. And of course, this tarp saves some on bulk, weight and maybe expense. But as you can see in these pics, even with the tarp close(and connected to) to the hammock, (though in bit of a wide porch mode) it still seems exposed to wind and sideways rain. Some people have reported what is, to me, amazing success at keeping dry with this set up. But, I use it as part of the HH Super Shelter system, which has an under cover that comes up a couple of inches above the edges of the hammock, and can be rotated once inside towards the windward side. No wind or rain gets past that.

BTW, on this day, hung from these trees, with the RL sightly tight, there was about zero calf pressure. Totally comfy in all ways, back or side. Just as it was when I used it back in 06 and 07, before I started playing with other hammocks and insulation systems. But this one has always worked just fine for me. YMMV.

Tarp remains nice and tight once I am in the hammock. One end is attached to tree, since I don't have room to attach the tarp to the new strap suspension I have on that one end. But the other end is attached to the hammock. When I got in,the tarp remained snug against the hammock RL, for good coverage. It remains tight if I connect to the hammock at both ends, but the hammock is only covered by about an inch or 2 on the strap end, not quite enough for me, so I attached to the tree.

No calf ridge or knee extension, or certainly not enough of either to be bothersome. I was quite comfy, on my back or side. I am very sensitive to calf ridge.

So, if you want to use the stock HH tarp attached as designed to the hammock suspension, but find the tarp to be annoyingly loose and floppy after you get in, experiment with some shock cord between the tarps 2 side tie outs and or on one or both of the ends that attach to the hammock. It should be a significant help, at very little cost in $, weight or bulk. ( or, the original solution suggested by HH: tie a small stuff sack weighted with stones to te=he side tie outs of the tarp. That is what those rings are for on the tarps side ends)