Dutch Half Zipped
    Tarp
    Dyneema Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    UGQ and HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie

Expendable hammock for get home bag question

I want to be clear, I already own an SMR Pares, a Go Hammock, and just ordered a Dutchware gear netless hammock. So I have plenty of good stuff, this is more about cheaper 'expendable' kind of stuff because I do have to go to some scetchy places and if I get my gear stolen, I'd rather it not be the good stuff.

I am putting together a random unplanned camping bag / get home bag that I want to keep exclusively in my car. My concern is that I don't really know enough about the materials that these are made of. So here's the question.

For the sake of this I'm going to use a skeeter beater (?) hammock and blue walmart tarp as the 'setup' for this. If different outcomes/rules apply to other types of hammock and tarps then please let me know, but as a baseline lets use this setup.

The backpack I am putting together I want to keep in my trunk and where I live gets up to 115 some times, then I drive over to the coast and you hit a lot of lows. My concern is that the constant going from one temp to another or even just being in the heat a lot is going to compromise the hammock and tarps integrity, like make the blue tarp brittle or weaken the hammock (Falling through one would not be a happy)

Is there any recommendations for specific hammocks or tarps that can handle being thrown into a bag and sit in heat for an entire year with out having issues?

Yeah, I'm still cautious about hanging in a hammock, not sure why I feel so much anxiety about it, but.. yeah. Anyway, thanks again for your input

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Any of the elcheapo hammocks and the cheap blue tarp should work for your desires. I'm not sure why you are worried about someone taking your hammock as they are very heavy when your in it and in your back pack otherwise I've never once thought about someone taking my hammock.

Hammock
    Dutch Half Zipped
    Tarp
    Dyneema Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    UGQ and HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailSlug View Post
    Any of the elcheapo hammocks and the cheap blue tarp should work for your desires. I'm not sure why you are worried about someone taking your hammock as they are very heavy when your in it and in your back pack otherwise I've never once thought about someone taking my hammock.
    lol, well it's more if someone broke into my car, there's been a couple incidents where co workers cars have been broken in and even things as mundane as childrens book were stolen. Really my point was, a setup that will be there if I need it (like say when I'm coming back from Anaheim in September, if I see a place and want to hang out for a bit) I don't want to leave my good stuff in the car. just not sure how well the other stuff would hold up to the elements of being in a hot trunk

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I've heard of a bug-out bag, but never a get-home bag!
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by EakinJ View Post
    lol, well it's more if someone broke into my car, there's been a couple incidents where co workers cars have been broken in and even things as mundane as childrens book were stolen. Really my point was, a setup that will be there if I need it (like say when I'm coming back from Anaheim in September, if I see a place and want to hang out for a bit) I don't want to leave my good stuff in the car. just not sure how well the other stuff would hold up to the elements of being in a hot trunk
    Ah, yea any of the cheap amazon hammocks will work for this scenario.

Hammock
    Chameleon, Halfwit
    Tarp
    DIY DynaFly
    Insulation
    EE TQ & UQ,
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    I've heard of a bug-out bag, but never a get-home bag!
    +1 Brilliant!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Be what Is to Become
    Become what Is to Be
    Make the Future
    Given Thee...

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 double
    Tarp
    WB Mambajamba
    Insulation
    DIY syn quilts
    Suspension
    Line / Strap
    I think I understand what you wish to accomplish, although only you know the particulars.
    Your personal mindset may be more important here than choosing a particular hammock over another at a similar price point.
    I've never been a SHTF, prepper, bug out bag, kind of person myself, at least not part of that culture.
    I think a lot of that mindset can be attributed to a heightened sense of anxiety, which some people become somewhat obsessed with.

I am well prepared for disasters, emergencies, etc. and consider it a wise move for most people.

I used to work in remote areas building cabins and such in the mountains. I have always kept a bag in my truck containing anything I may need to be comfortable for a few days in case I get stranded out in the middle of nowhere, or just in case I suddenly decide to camp out somewhere cool for a bit.
    Shelter, warm clothes, food - I like MRE's for this, water, medicine, FAK, etc.
    I also keep fishing gear, navigation gear, and so forth in my truck.

I think a get home scenario is far more plausible than a bug out scenario for most people who commute through remote areas in terms of what to have in a vehicle.

I have also found the inside of my vehicle a much faster & safer shelter than a hammock or tent. Of course if you can't park a vehicle in the shade during summer that may not be doable.

I haven't found the heat in a parked vehicle to be a problem for my gear, then again I generally buy white trucks for work, never dark colors.

I understand your concern for not spending a lot of money on something that may be stolen, and in a pinch just about any decent hammock and tarp would suffice for shelter.
    I'm definitely not a fan of polyethylene tarps, they degrade very fast when exposed to UV and then rip to shreds in a storm. Would they degrade in the trunk of a car just due to heat? I don't know for sure, not gonna find out.

I tend to think that if you may need to rely on your gear to " survive" it should be at least mid grade gear, not junk.
    If you loose the gear, you are deprived of it regardless of cost, but if you need it the quality is going to be paramount to your comfort.

My personal approach is to buy decent gear for this purpose and just resolve myself to a possible loss.
    I like to go solo - off trail - immerse myself in the area - explore - eat really well - and make it back home.

As Dynamystic says, this is a really cool idea.

I've got a blue Wally World tarp that I've had since 2012 or 2013. For part of that time it's been scrunched or folded up and stored in my attic, which gets quite hot in the summer here in Georgia. At other times it's been used over pickup loads of furniture or what have you. For the last year it's been outside permanently covering a stack of wood. It's this latter that has done the most visible damage to it. It's finally becoming brittle, though it hasn't torn yet. I'd predict that constant exposure to UV will kill your cheap tarp faster than anything else BUT it should still be good for at least a year. Riding around inside a closed pack in a vehicle, even in a hot environment, probably won't faze it.

I've got another blue poly tarp that dates from sometime around 2002-2003. Repeated exposure to the elements, sometimes for months, alternating with being balled up and left in the attic has finally taken its toll. This one has begun to split and tear - after something like 15 years.

These blue poly tarps are very low cost and should work just fine in your scenario. Only downside that I can see is that they may be so desirable that they'd be stolen! ;-)
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Hammock
    Chameleon, Halfwit
    Tarp
    DIY DynaFly
    Insulation
    EE TQ & UQ,
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Images
    Looks like this guy found a decent inexpensive solution without sacrificing too much comfort. Looks perfect for a get home bag.

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url...1&share_type=t

Back Yard Porch Mode on the relatively cheap

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Be what Is to Become
    Become what Is to Be
    Make the Future
    Given Thee...

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    Each of my vehicles have a "get home" bag in them and each has a hammock. I found them on Woot for 10.00 + shipping and placed them in the truck/car/motorcycle 4 years ago. I check the bags once per quarter and that includes taking the hammock out, hanging it, and taking a nap in it So far the heat/humidity in VA and in FL has done no damage to them. They are not the most comfortable but will certainly be way better than the ground if need be.
    Deb
    TOS Terms of Service Link
    Guidelines to New For Sale Section Link
    How to obtain access & maintain your threads in For Sale Section Link
    Guidelines for Want to Buy (WTB) Section
    Hammock Acronyms

"The older I get, the more I appreciate my rural childhood. I spent a lot of time outdoors, unsupervised, which is a blessing." Barbara Kingsolver

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast