DIY 12' RSBTR kit
    Insulation
    UGQ-uq OWLtq DIYsy
    Suspension
    SpiderStrap TI tog
    Images

Question Advice/Expertise Needed

Need some advice on some top quilt vendors and options;
    1) What is the Difference between the Ghost Pepper and the Serrano Series from Loco Libre?
    2) If you had to choose between UGQ and Hammock Gear what would be your choice and why?
    3) Break down Foot Box options - zippered w/draw string, Flat box foot box, or sewn foot box fully insulated - Pros and Cons
    I am leaning towards the fully insulated but don't understand the difference in foot boxes so can anyone break them out...
    4) Does anyone have first hand experience with Cedar Ridge Outddors and the top quilts he is making?
    5) Why the huge price difference in "ultra light down" from one vendor to another? In some instances I see this option listed as a straight up charge starting at $30 to go from 800fp to 900fp, with other vendors charging nearly $100 to make the jump to Ultra light - again why
    6) Finally what would be the advantage of a "tapered cut" vs. a regular cut besides a weight savings?

Thanks for the help
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Be The light in Someone's Darkness - Change the World one Act of Compassion, One Act of Kindness at a Time - We are All Living on Borrowed Time
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfJ...XMJUMaraHGfzhA

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    1) Ghost Pepper uses chevron baffles to help prevent undesirable down migration, while the regular Serrano uses standard straight baffles.

3) I tend to get top quilts with sewn footboxes when they are rated for below the freezing mark and drawstring footboxes for warmer-weather quilts; the exception is if I want to use a cold-weather quilt up into warmer temperatures, in which case I'll get a drawstring footbox to allow me to vent it. (I am not a big fan of venting my quilts, but I'll do it when necessary.)
    Smart graphic design for all your needs by BGD

Hammock
    DIY 12' 1.6 oz Hyper D Baby
    Tarp
    DIY 12' RSBTR kit
    Insulation
    UGQ-uq OWLtq DIYsy
    Suspension
    SpiderStrap TI tog
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kitsapcowboy View Post
    1) Ghost Pepper uses chevron baffles to help prevent undesirable down migration, while the regular Serrano uses standard straight baffles.

3) I tend to get top quilts with sewn footboxes when they are rated for below the freezing mark and drawstring footboxes for warmer-weather quilts; the exception is if I want to use a cold-weather quilt up into warmer temperatures, in which case I'll get a drawstring footbox to allow me to vent it. (I am not a big fan of venting my quilts, but I'll do it when necessary.)
    Thank you Sir - I had figured this to be the case
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Be The light in Someone's Darkness - Change the World one Act of Compassion, One Act of Kindness at a Time - We are All Living on Borrowed Time

Hammock
    Amok Draumr 3.0
    Tarp
    Amok
    Insulation
    Synmat 9 LW
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by GillyGilligan View Post
    5) Why the huge price difference in "ultra light down" from one vendor to another? In some instances I see this option listed as a straight up charge starting at $30 to go from 800fp to 900fp, with other vendors charging nearly $100 to make the jump to Ultra light - again why
    6) Finally what would be the advantage of a "tapered cut" vs. a regular cut besides a weight savings?
    5) everyone sources their own down. some get better deals (this is an assumption)

6) if you don't need as much blanket, it's less to carry (weight and bulk). it's also a smaller air space to warm up

(2) Neither. For a top quilt, I'm a big fan of the Enlightened Equipment Revelation. I have two of their quilts is regular length, regular width (I'm right at six feet, 210 lbs) and they work great both in a hammock or when I go to ground.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DIY 12' 1.6 oz Hyper D Baby
    Tarp
    DIY 12' RSBTR kit
    Insulation
    UGQ-uq OWLtq DIYsy
    Suspension
    SpiderStrap TI tog
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex Clifton View Post
    (2) Neither. For a top quilt, I'm a big fan of the Enlightened Equipment Revelation. I have two of their quilts is regular length, regular width (I'm right at six feet, 210 lbs) and they work great both in a hammock or when I go to ground.

interesting - So if I may ask IYHO why such a difference in price between the Enlightened Equipment Gear and our Cottage Vendors here?
    EEREV.0.JPGEEENIG.0.JPGWLTQ8.23.18.JPG
    Last edited by GilligansWorld; 08-23-2018 at 13:37.

If you price the Revelation versus the Hammock Gear Burrow Premium quilt, both regular length and 55 inch width (which is a regular width for the EE and wide for the HG) the HG comes in at $279 with EE at $285, but the EE ships free, so it's actually a few dollars cheaper (HG charges $12 to ship to my area). The quilts weigh about the same, although you can get the EE in 950 Downtek that will save you around an ounce and a half and cost an extra $70 (but that 950 down is really sweet, I have it on my Revelation 40). The EE comes with a much better pad attachment system. In fact, the pad system HG sells is a joke, a piece of shock cord with a few mitten hooks. I very rarely go to ground, but it's nice having that option if needed. It also makes the EE, IMHO, more marketable if you ever want to sell, since it is popular with both hammockers and ground pounders.

I would not recommend the EE Enigma. I had one and the footbox was way too tight, so much so as to pinch my size 12 feet.

I posted with the breakdown between HG and EE. I have no experience with Wilderness Logics but, personally, I would never buy one of their quilts. The reason is that I usually sell my gear after using ifor a period of time, so as to help fund the purchase of something else. I see WL as less marketable, IMHO, than the more popular cottage vendors. Don't get me wrong, they may be great, and probably are but, unless you intend on keeping your quilt forever, I would recommend you stick with either EE, HG or, to a lesser extent, Underground Quilts.
    Quote Originally Posted by GillyGilligan View Post
    interesting - So if I may ask IYHO why such a difference in price between the Enlightened Equipment Gear and our Cottage Vendors here?
    EEREV.0.JPGEEENIG.0.JPGWLTQ8.23.18.JPG

Hammock
    Towns-End
    Tarp
    WB, Towns-End, UGQ
    Insulation
    LSOH, JRB, UGQ
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckles
    Images
    Wilderness Logics has some incredible gear and are very marketable if you change your mind. Marty's quality is second to none, and is happy to talk and help you get what you need! I've bought, sold, and swapped plenty of WL gear to know it stands behind no one! Wilderness Logics, Hammock Gear, UGQ Outdoors, Enlightened Eauipment, Arrowhead Equipment, Jacks R Better, Loco Libre, Little Shop of Hammocks, and Warbonnet are all excellent gear.
    Hammock Tourist / Hammock Fiend / Hammock Therapist

Hammock
    Towns-End
    Tarp
    WB, Towns-End, UGQ
    Insulation
    LSOH, JRB, UGQ
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckles
    Images
    If you decide to go slightly cheaper, WL Budget Series, Loco Libre Saver Series, and HG Econ are hard to beat
    Hammock Tourist / Hammock Fiend / Hammock Therapist

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast