Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Chicago Newbie

Images
    Hello and welcome from another new member and fellow Illinoisan. I'm about an hour west, in Elgin.

What gear did you choose for your bikepacking kit?

Quote Originally Posted by dither View Post
    Welcome to the forums. Always good to see another local. One day I will get another motorcycle. Probably when the kids go off to school. I do more hiking/camping then anything else.
    Thanks for the welcome, dither! Hope you get that motorcycle eventually. I ride/commute year round and have mostly gone the motorcycle camping route. I'm trying to build more hiking into my camping repertoire. It's not really something I've done, so I'm researching to learn more before I give it a go. Fortunately, most things are knowable through the glory of the interwebs and this and other forums!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by cmc4free View Post
    Hello and welcome from another new member and fellow Illinoisan. I'm about an hour west, in Elgin.

What gear did you choose for your bikepacking kit?
    Hi cmcfree - thanks for the welcome! I get out to Elgin a handful of times each year for a singing gig with the Master Chorale there.

I fear I've misled you - I'm on a motorcycle, not a bicycle. I've got a pretty comfy setup. Ridgerunner, Klymit pad, a couple Cosctco down throws, a huge 13' UGQ Winter Dream tarp with internal pole mods and tarp sleeve, a ground tarp of indeterminate origin. I can fit it all in a 19 liter top case on case on my motorcycle.

BananaHammock, thanks for the invite! I'll actually be camping and hiking that weekend near Madison with some friends. I appreciate the heads up. I am looking forward to checking out the Ice Age Trail as soon as I can!

rweb82 - monthly hangs? Wow. That's awesome! Morris isn't far at all. I'll keep an eye on the Midwest trip section. Hope to meet you soon!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rodentface View Post
    Hi cmcfree - thanks for the welcome! I get out to Elgin a handful of times each year for a singing gig with the Master Chorale there.

I fear I've misled you - I'm on a motorcycle, not a bicycle. I've got a pretty comfy setup. Ridgerunner, Klymit pad, a couple Cosctco down throws, a huge 13' UGQ Winter Dream tarp with internal pole mods and tarp sleeve, a ground tarp of indeterminate origin. I can fit it all in a 19 liter top case on case on my motorcycle.

No, my fault. I assumed you meant a motorcycle. I own neither bicycle nor motorcycle and used the bikepacking term incorrectly.

Sounds like a comfortable setup indeed. I'm awaiting a 12' Winterdream myself, and looking forward to it!

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    Quote Originally Posted by rweb82 View Post
    We hang at McKinley Woods along the I&M canal in Morris fairly often. Once the weather starts cooling off, there are usually a few guys that hang once a month there. Check out the trips section of the forum under Midwest, and you'll see when folks are hanging there. Would love to have you out some time!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
    Correction, the McKinley Woods site is in Channahon, not Morris.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12