Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    Grand trunk Double
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Suspension
    Mule Tape & 'biner

Chameleon options help

I didn't want to be "that guy" who asks a question without researching and reading, but after reading for 2 days I'm still a bit undecided. I have also watched Shug, Derek Hansen, Sintax77, Dutch, and many others' Youtube videos.
    I quit hammock camping after repeated leg & back cramps/spasms. Now 2 years later I get cramps even on the ground now. I'm 53 years old, 6'-1/2" (used to be 6'-1" but shrinking in old age) at 250 lbs with wide shoulders and a muscular build. (try to work out to fight father time)
    My first hammock was an ENO double and I really liked the stretchyness of that fabric but it was short. My 2nd hammock is a Grand Trunk Kryptec double Micro-Diamond Ripstop Polyester; which seemed long enough but I never liked the fabric. I'm a side sleeper and constantly flip through the night but was getting to a point when I hammocked a lot that I back-slept more.
    I think I want a 2 layer symmetrical wide but some people have posted they don't like their wide versions. I'm looking for some input on deciding between asym-sym and wide-narrow. Thanks for reading through and any help!

Hammock
    Grand trunk Double
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Suspension
    Mule Tape & 'biner
    oh, one last thing: I love camo and it looks like the wide doesn't come in camo. I love that German Flektarn looking camo (I think it's Moss) model in Dutch's video. Maybe I just need to road trip to his factory? LOL!

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    OK.
    Though I think you should ultimately make your decision based on your gut I will recommend based on what you say in your post:
    Hexon 2.4
    Wide
    Symmetrical since you say your flip and side sleep.

Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Symmetrical nets and covers on the Chameleon let you change lay direction [B]on the fly[b] (i.e. without getting out of your hammock, while asym nets and covers (which offer slightly less constraint of the hammock body than a biconvex "boat-shaped" symmetrical cover, maximizing interior space) require you to flip the bug net to change lay direction using the Chameleon's proprietary Vision reversible zippers (which is not a big deal if you don't need to flip much.

Width preference is very personal, not based solely on your height and breadth but also on how obliquely you like to lay in the hammock; shorter hangers sometimes like wide hammocks if they naturally tend to seek an aggressive diagonal lay, while taller hangers with a more. I state diagonal lay (like myself) do fine with a standard-width fabric. Too much width for your lay can cause floppy fabric at the edges and/or difficulty getting out of the hammock due to a deep "pocket". HTH...

Dutch has provided these resources to help you out!

https://dutchwaregear.com/2018/08/15...cover-hammock/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dE9__K4Rcs

Last edited by kitsapcowboy; 08-24-2018 at 05:53.
    Smart graphic design for all your needs by BGD

Hammock
    Dutch chameleon
    Tarp
    WB thunderfly
    Insulation
    Pad for now
    Suspension
    Huggers and Whoopi
    I found it very confusing as well. Listen to shug. I got the asym net and top cover, only because I wasn’t sure if I’d want to switch sides down the road. I can lay either way, so I could see a situation where I might want to switch it for a certain set up. But I’d have prob done just as well getting the symmetrical.i

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutchware Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    None or Z-Rest (it
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by SandmanBravo View Post
    I didn't want to be "that guy" who asks a question without researching and reading, but after reading for 2 days I'm still a bit undecided. I have also watched Shug, Derek Hansen, Sintax77, Dutch, and many others' Youtube videos.
    I quit hammock camping after repeated leg & back cramps/spasms. Now 2 years later I get cramps even on the ground now. I'm 53 years old, 6'-1/2" (used to be 6'-1" but shrinking in old age) at 250 lbs with wide shoulders and a muscular build. (try to work out to fight father time)
    My first hammock was an ENO double and I really liked the stretchyness of that fabric but it was short. My 2nd hammock is a Grand Trunk Kryptec double Micro-Diamond Ripstop Polyester; which seemed long enough but I never liked the fabric. I'm a side sleeper and constantly flip through the night but was getting to a point when I hammocked a lot that I back-slept more.
    I think I want a 2 layer symmetrical wide but some people have posted they don't like their wide versions. I'm looking for some input on deciding between asym-sym and wide-narrow. Thanks for reading through and any help!
    When your look at the selection of printed fabrics, there are some varieties that aren’t considered Camo, that are “Camo like”. The PrivacyX have some variations that could work.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Grand trunk Double
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Suspension
    Mule Tape & 'biner
    Thanks to all who submitted their feedback!

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon or DIY Robic XL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & CDT TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I regards to the Privacy camo patterns...I have a Chameleon in the Scrubland pattern. For me it's too light in color, but the hammock itself is great. I'll be ordering another in either Autumn or Boreal in the not too distant future.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Grand trunk Double
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Suspension
    Mule Tape & 'biner
    I guess I'll hang with my Kryptec camo until Dutch offers the wide in prints.
    Attached Images Attached Images

If you really are getting comfortable with sleeping on your back, that's great and a gathered-end hammock like the Chameleon could be just the ticket. If, on the other hand, you prefer side-sleeping, it could be that a bridge hammock would suit you better.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast