$20 Golden Eagle double
    Tarp
    $20 10'x10'
    Insulation
    $20 CDTUQ
    Suspension
    $5 HF straps
    Quote Originally Posted by lkk6783 View Post
    i failed with one 12" nail on grasslands.
    and two 12" nail is OK. but it is too heavy for my hiking. so i only use it with picnic on park.

i use a lot of method to fix my ground suspension line. it depend on what i can find in the field. stone, rock, tree root, an another tree...Attachment 167566Attachment 167567Attachment 167568Attachment 167569
    Thank you for the lovely pictures! They give me a lot of ideas. For instance: while riding a bicycle, I can imagine wanting to hammock in small public parks at the center of many Iowa small towns (during a multi-day ride across the state). Unfortunately, I have observed the trees often are "too far" apart. HOWEVER, using the bicycle as an intermediate support, and a "too far away" tree as the final support (as you have done in a few of these) could work quite well, perhaps also supplemented with a stake or two.

Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainGravity View Post
    Thank you for the lovely pictures! They give me a lot of ideas. For instance: while riding a bicycle, I can imagine wanting to hammock in small public parks at the center of many Iowa small towns (during a multi-day ride across the state). Unfortunately, I have observed the trees often are "too far" apart. HOWEVER, using the bicycle as an intermediate support, and a "too far away" tree as the final support (as you have done in a few of these) could work quite well, perhaps also supplemented with a stake or two.

Thanks again!
    I would not use.a bicycle or motorcycle (even ln centre stand) as an enpoint for a hammock.

Sent from my SM-G390F using Tapatalk
    If you don't live life to the limit, how will you know when you overcome your own?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jms53 View Post
    I would not use.a bicycle or motorcycle (even ln centre stand) as an enpoint for a hammock.
    I don't think he was suggesting using as a anchor point, but as a deviation point.
    There is nothing wrong with the idea, as long as you treat it in the same way as a monopole (or rather a bipod on wheels).
    The issue is not stability, that can be engineered using an appropriate guying system; no, the main issue would be getting enough height. Most bicycles won't be over 1m tall, that would only be enough for short hammocks.

Hammock
    Hennessy Exp Ultralight Zip
    Tarp
    Hummingbird Heron
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Hummingbird Straps
    Wow, cool solution!

Hammock
    $20 Golden Eagle double
    Tarp
    $20 10'x10'
    Insulation
    $20 CDTUQ
    Suspension
    $5 HF straps
    Quote Originally Posted by GadgetUK437 View Post
    I don't think he was suggesting using as a anchor point, but as a deviation point.
    There is nothing wrong with the idea, as long as you treat it in the same way as a monopole (or rather a bipod on wheels).
    The issue is not stability, that can be engineered using an appropriate guying system; no, the main issue would be getting enough height. Most bicycles won't be over 1m tall, that would only be enough for short hammocks.
    Agree with all points, I like how you called it "deviation" point.

The rails on my bike's saddle are currently 39 inches off the ground. I could probably get a few more inches by raising the seat. We could call it a meter. (I'm 6' 2")
    • The hammock calculator tells me with a 9' hammock, no suspension length, I can get a 12" sit height with a 39" hang point. (I'm 6'2", so not sure if I'm loving the idea of a 9' hammock)
    • The hammock calculator tells me with a 10' hammock, no suspension length, I can get a 9" sit height with a 39" hang point. (I'm 6'2", so not sure if I like descending to a 9" sit height)

SO, at best, a good "backup" plan, if the alternative is going to ground. ALTHOUGH if I had an extra long seat post, and extended it, I could perhaps gain some inches there... worth trying (once I get some free time!)

Images
    A deviation point isn't an S&M hotspot! Just a trade term for anything that changes the direction of a line under tension.
    I toyed with the idea of using a bike as a stand, when I first got into hammocks for bikepacking.
    My idea was to have an extension pole. You could stow a good length pole, strapped to the top tube. Take out the seat and post, and slide in the extension to the seat tube.

--
    Gadget

Hammock
    HH UL backpacker
    Images
    Last edited by lkk6783; 08-25-2018 at 04:20.

Hammock
    ridgerunner
    Tarp
    superfly
    Suspension
    buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by lkk6783 View Post
    A good reason to carry 20' of 2.2+ mm [amsteel]. How thick of a cord would you recommend?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by W8lkinUSA View Post
    A good reason to carry 20' of 2.2+ mm [amsteel]. How thick of a cord would you recommend?
    What do you suspend from?
    The force on one side of the deviation point will equal the force on the other. So, if your regular suspension had a break strain of over 1000lb, then any extension should at least equal that.
    Personally, if I'm in uncertain territory, then I carry two 12' dogbones of 2.5mm (7/64") Amsteel.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast