Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Any decent campgrounds in Cape May county, NJ?

I normally go to Assateague Island every year, but I'm not going to travel that far this year. But I still want to hit the beach. Does anyone know any campgrounds that have simple tent only sites? Some of the ones I looked at look like amusement parks for the family. I just want to hang at the beach during the day and stare at a fire at night while having some cold ones. Also, Ihave a dog so I need pet friendly sites.

The only campgrounds I found that may be okay are Avalon campground (looks like they only have 18 tent sites), Sea Grove camping resort (even fewer tent sites) and Belleplain State Forest (beer prohibited).

I camped at a decent campground in Cape May years ago and it was okay, but I can't remember the name.

Any help would be appreciated!
    Kernix
    Last edited by kernix; 08-20-2018 at 16:58. Reason: forgot to subscribe for replies

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon Wide
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    UGQ 20*TQ/ 0* UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Buckle
    Images
    I was going to say Belleplain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2019 NJ Winter Hang Coup De Grace De Grub Champion
    Breathe In, Breathe Out, Move On. - Jimmy Buffett
    https://lighterpack.com/r/yk6y8s

Hammock
    WBRR, DHTB
    Tarp
    WB Superfly, Mamba
    Insulation
    Down Quilts!
    Suspension
    Straps/buckles
    Images
    All NJ State parks are no go on the alcohol. Has to be a private campground for cold ones. Then you usually have to deal with more people, RVs, etc.
    NJ Hammock Club Facebook Page - Come join the party!

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Yeti 20
    Suspension
    homemade whoopies
    Don't sweat the no alcohol policies in State Parks. It's a necessary rule designed to help kick out the assholes who ruin it for everyone. It's been a godsend for MD state parks for us family campers. Just keep any alcohol in a cooler, be discreet, only drink it out of a Tervis or whatever and you are extremely unlikely to have a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by PatapscoMike View Post
    Don't sweat the no alcohol policies in State Parks. It's a necessary rule designed to help kick out the assholes who ruin it for everyone. It's been a godsend for MD state parks for us family campers. Just keep any alcohol in a cooler, be discreet, only drink it out of a Tervis or whatever and you are extremely unlikely to have a problem.
    Yeah, I'm always chill - it's just going to be me and my dog.

Hammock
    Big Guy Bridge
    Tarp
    CRO Winter Haven
    Insulation
    JRB UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckle 15'
    They have the same rules in Massachusetts State Parks. If you can find one RV with zero alcohol there call Guinness because that would be a record. Have a rowdy party at midnight and the rule would be enforced.

This is why God gave us beer cosies.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk
    "God never sends us anything we can't handle. Sometimes I wish He didn't trust me so much." - Mother Teresa.

Senior Member Tyroler Holzhacker's Avatar
    Hammock
    DH DL Sparrow/SL Darien
    Tarp
    MacCat/WBSuperfly
    Insulation
    LL/JRB/DIY down
    Suspension
    MSH/Whoopies/strps
    Images
    Just by taking the cape May Ferry to Rehoboth, you can go to Big Oaks campground. This is a very nice campground with loads of trees, and offers a free shuttle bus to the beach. Rehoboth beach is notorius for pain in the rear parking issues, and buses are strongly suggested for visits to their pristine clean beach at Rehoboth. Also Big Oak Campground offers bike trails that lead right to the beach. The campground is cash or check only, no credit cards taken. The owners are members of the Sons of the Confederacy, and so the gift shop has a lot of Civil War stuff in it....just as a warning if that is offensive to you, but it didn't really bother me.

Interesting. I don't care about the Confederacy thing - just want a decent place to camp. I want to go the 1st weekend in October. So I would have to take a ferry and then a bus to the campground? How far is the beach from the campsites and would there be any issues with bringing my dog with me? I just looked and the season ends for them on Oct 1st - so I either go a week early or somewhere else.
    Last edited by kernix; 08-21-2018 at 08:29. Reason: add on

Do you know of any good sites in Belleplain SP? Since I'll have my dog with me, I'll have to camp in the Meisle Field & CCC camp (whatever that is). From the map I have there is Lake Nummy and then a bunch of lean-to sites. Then it seems like tent sits with a lot of space between them, then a final loop with tightly packed sites. I'm assuming the map is haflway decent. Here's the sites that seem good:

102, 105,107, 109,111 and then it looks packed
    Then the 200 site #'s starting from 206 and going up to 263. Some of the those #'s seem not to be reservable though. The best ones look like 206-208, 211, & 220 looking like the best.

Anyone ever stay in any of those sites?

Hammock
    WBBB XLC DL 1.1/R.R.
    Tarp
    UGQ Custom/13ft WD
    Insulation
    UGQ RENEGADE/ZEPP
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutch
    Images
    Can not remember the sites I have stayed in at Bel Plain but there is a place Lenape Lake and the site 1-16 the old sites they are called are nice 11-14 are on a bluff looking over lake and it’s only 17$ with trash hot water showers and bathrooms plus you can walk into Mayslanding and there are some corner bars and restaurants ect. the lake has great fishing day and night you are just a 15 ride from cape may co. Possibly less without the crowds. Ocean City is 6-8 mile ride down country road 559 to the beach.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast