11' SLD Lair
    Tarp
    SLD and HG WP
    Insulation
    HG UQ
    Images
    Bear paw designs does custom work. Started to send him my SL5 for
    a stove jack last year. Floorless shelters and tarps. I also believe
    he works with cuben/dyneema and other various UL fabrics.

So an enclosed shelter/hot tent is what your looking for? Simply Light Designs has a prototype of one for sale on his website.
    https://www.simplylightdesigns.com/c...roducts_id/628

I'm the proud owner of #2 and the final SLD build. No plans for future production since it's time intensive. 120 square feet with 6 foot headroom and lots of comfort. Note, mine is on the left and a Smokehouse on the right.

Last edited by michigandave; 08-22-2018 at 08:02.

Michigandave, that is awesome! Wouldn't want to backpack with it, but for car camping or canoeing that thing looks great!

Hammock
    WB RR, DIY Bridge (Dutch Kit)
    Tarp
    Kammok Glider
    Insulation
    DIY TQ, DIY BQ
    Suspension
    Whoopsie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by questionmike View Post
    Im looking to make a extra large hammock hot shelter with a good amount of head room. Im 5'7 so id be able to pitch my tarp about 6.5-7ft. Also the walls wouldnt go straight out 8ft but instead come down on an angle (through the means of panel pulls). Shaped kind like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Seugt5RZKm4
    I'm not trying to be pedantic or anything but that looks a lot like a tent and not a tarp which is what I believe is confusing some of the people trying to help.

I like where you're going because the stooping and bending I have to do under my tarp is my major complaint about using a tarp. I've considered doing something like what's shown in the video but I haven't been able to come up with an UL version.

As a suggestion, if you sew at all (or know somebody who sews), making a tarp can be very easy and there are numerous resources on this forum to help you. One of the reasons (other than for fun) that I'm making my own tarp, even though I have several already, is that I want to get exactly the tarp I want.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    How did you determine you needed the tarp to be 16 ft. wide? It seems there are vendors who can make you a hot tent, but they might be put off by that requirement.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Down!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Try giving Marty at Wilderness Logics a call. This is the only thing I found that's even close to the dimensions you're asking. Maybe Marty would be willing to modify it to get it to where you want it :

https://www.wildernesslogics.com/WIL...-BIG-OTTER.htm

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dlrocm View Post
    Try giving Marty at Wilderness Logics a call. This is the only thing I found that's even close to the dimensions you're asking. Maybe Marty would be willing to modify it to get it to where you want it :

https://www.wildernesslogics.com/WIL...-BIG-OTTER.htm
    I think the problem is that the OP is asking for a 16' width. I'll bet that Wilderness Logics tarp is 15 ft. long, not 15' wide. I personally don't understand why the tarp needs to be 16 ft. wide by 12 ft. long.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    snip...I personally don't understand why the tarp needs to be 16 ft. wide by 12 ft. long.
    Because he want to stand straight up and not be hunched over and he wants the material to go all the way to the ground.
    I am 5'8" and my 12x14 tarp justs allows me to stand straight up. If he is >6' tall he will need something wider.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    Because he want to stand straight up and not be hunched over and he wants the material to go all the way to the ground.
    I am 5'8" and my 12x14 tarp justs allows me to stand straight up. If he is >6' tall he will need something wider.
    But isn't your tarp 12 feet wide by 14 ft. long, not 14 ft. wide by 12 feet long? Having a hard time understanding why the tarp needs to be wider than 12 ft. (which is the problem he seems to be encountering with vendors).

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    But isn't your tarp 12 feet wide by 14 ft. long, not 14 ft. wide by 12 feet long? Having a hard time understanding why the tarp needs to be wider than 12 ft. (which is the problem he seems to be encountering with vendors).
    No My RL is 12' that is all thats needed for an 11' hammock and the 7' sides allow me to go all the way to ground with a steep enough angle the snow never builds up and fall off naturally.
    Which is a must if you are using a wood tent stove. I've never seen one of those hot tents in a heavy snow storm. I'll bet they are up all night cleaning the snow build up off that flat roof.

If the snow is deep enough and you brought a snow shovel you can make a tarp like the Warbonnet with doors work.

Another example of using snow for walls.

You need some pretty deep snow to seal the sides of a std 12x10 tarp.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast