Twisted Root Big Mozzi
    Tarp
    HH Asym Hex
    Insulation
    Snugpak UQ
    Suspension
    Sewn Loop

Big Tarp - big ropes, big knots?

I was going to tag onto some other threads about knots and tarps, but I think my question is a bit different as I'm not talking about tarps over hammocks, but rather larger tarps for more campsite coverage.

If you're dealing with 12'x12' tarps (or bigger), what size ropes and what knots do you use? I've been playing around with my Kelty Noah 12 tarp, but when I car camp, I could go even bigger.

• Do you use heftier ropes?
    • Do you use some different knots?
    • CRL or Split ridge line?
    • Is there a size tarp where you MUST put the ridgeline under the tarp instead of over?

Just trying to get a sense of what works on bigger tarps, especially in rain.

Any advice would help, thanks!

- Nathan

Images
    I use the same cheap Walmart white nylon cord on every tarp and it works just fine. I’m not worried about breaking strength unless I would have to be dealing with heavy snow load, which generally i’m not. That would be the only time where putting the line under the tarp might be helpful.

For split ridgelines, I use a Truckie Hitch on both ends. For continuous ridgelines I use two mini caribiners and a midshipman’s hitch.

I’m sure people from the Cult of Dutch will be coming out of the woodwork to recommend you use more Titanium, but knots work just fine.

Hammock
    Twisted Root Big Mozzi
    Tarp
    HH Asym Hex
    Insulation
    Snugpak UQ
    Suspension
    Sewn Loop
    Thanks for the response, I'm probably overthinking this

Hammock
    Big Guy Bridge
    Tarp
    CRO Winter Haven
    Insulation
    JRB UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckle 15'
    As stated above, the only time to put a ridge line under a tarp is when in snow. I use Nite eyes mini s-biners (stainless steel) on a continuous ridge line with prussik knots. The ridge line is just plain old utility line that I get at REI fro $3 for 50 feet. I rarely need more than 20 feet of line, so I can make two complete ridge lines out of one hank of line including the prussik loops.

I started experimenting with "Loop Aliens" for attaching the line around the tree, but I'm not completely convinced there is any advantage over a slippery sheet bend (actually a slippery bowline) on one end and a midshipman's knot on the other. I tie knots quickly and am still getting the hang of the Aliens.
    "God never sends us anything we can't handle. Sometimes I wish He didn't trust me so much." - Mother Teresa.

Senior Member Pennsy Camp and Canoe's Avatar
    Hammock
    Dutchware 11' netless - Dark OG
    Tarp
    DIY 12' Winter hex
    Insulation
    LLG UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Buckle
    Images
    I use 12' Kelty, so do John and Cathy from couch2trail, and others. I use the lines supplied with the tarp, but I have also tried zing it / lash it. You don't need a continuous ridge line, but I like to use one under the tarp IF I'm expecting a lot of snow (but that goes for any of my tarps).

As for knots, I use a 'slippery' becket hitch on the ridgeline tieouts, same as guy line tieouts plus truckers hitch to the stakes to keep it tight.

The Kelty has plenty of tie outs so I use as many as possible to open the huge area under them.

Check out my video on Kelty tarps here for more tips:

Hammock
    Twisted Root Big Mozzi
    Tarp
    HH Asym Hex
    Insulation
    Snugpak UQ
    Suspension
    Sewn Loop
    Quote Originally Posted by Pennsy Camp and Canoe View Post
    I use 12' Kelty, so do John and Cathy from couch2trail, and others. I use the lines supplied with the tarp, but I have also tried zing it / lash it. You don't need a continuous ridge line, but I like to use one under the tarp IF I'm expecting a lot of snow (but that goes for any of my tarps).

As for knots, I use a 'slippery' becket hitch on the ridgeline tieouts, same as guy line tieouts plus truckers hitch to the stakes to keep it tight.

The Kelty has plenty of tie outs so I use as many as possible to open the huge area under them.

Check out my video on Kelty tarps here for more tips:
    Thanks for linking to your video, I like the way you did that third pitch. I'll try it out soon, once I get back out into the woods.

- Nathan

Hammock
    Hennessy Exp Ultralight Zip
    Tarp
    Hummingbird Heron
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Hummingbird Straps
    I have cordage from Jacks R Better and 1.5mm cord from hummingbird hammocks. Both seem plenty strong and the 1.5mm is really light. Never been concerned about the strength of either cord. I have dutch stingerz on each end. I usually don't use a continuous ridgeline but just pull the tarp taut for tension.

I've been know to run a line under the tarp when none of the tie-out points line up with where/how I'm trying to hang the tarp. I also have had tarps (as big as 14 X 14) with a reinforced patch and tie-outs in the center of the tarp. Sometimes I've hung that center point from a 'biner on a line between two trees. Other times a center pole has been used to prop the tarp up. When the tarp is center-high, I typically gather in an edge or two with 'biners and/or a bit of cord or shock cord. I've even been known to use para cord as tie-outs! I just don't worry about the stretch with tarps like this. Large cordage, i.e. rope, is overkill.

Senior Member Pennsy Camp and Canoe's Avatar
    Hammock
    Dutchware 11' netless - Dark OG
    Tarp
    DIY 12' Winter hex
    Insulation
    LLG UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by n8jones418 View Post
    Thanks for linking to your video, I like the way you did that third pitch. I'll try it out soon, once I get back out into the woods.

- Nathan
    my pleasure, glad you found it helpful

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I just use cheap Home Depot nylon rope. I tie an overhand knot in the rope and then use slippery half hitches at the tree to tighten everything up. Easy to tie and easy to release. If it's snowing, I'll run the ridgeline underneath the tarp. I use prusiks to attach the tarp to the ridgeline (CRL).

I don't put a lot of thought into el cheapo tarps since they're just cheap tarps that I hang over the fire or use as a group shelter. The key thing is getting the tarp to hang high enough so that there is plenty of head room. If you have a tall person (6' 4" or taller), who knows how to tie a slippery half-hitch, they can usually tie the tarp off high enough. Otherwise, I'll let someone step on my thighs and then stand on my shoulders to get the tarp high enough to provide head room. I've done this so many times (Boy Scouts and such), but most people think I'm crazy when I start telling them how we are going to hang the group tarp. Once folks get over the idea of standing on someone's shoulders, the tarp is usually hung in no time. A slippery half-hitch on nylon rope is not gonna slip - trust me on that.

I like an A-Frame hang so, even if water or snow pools up, it's easy to dump it. The only thing that takes a little time is the guylines. Sometimes you have to find a few long branches to hold the tarp up and provide head room.
    Last edited by SilvrSurfr; 08-21-2018 at 01:33.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast