DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    Quote Originally Posted by WhollyHamaca View Post
    I'd rather use Amsteel soft shackle for the joints, like the commercial Tensa, but I'm out of Amsteel to make them, and anyway I'd want to protect the Amsteel against abrasion from the EMT: a wood dowel inside, drilled through along with EMT and the outside of the EMT hole rounded over with a rat-tail file? Add a ring of epoxy around the holes to cover the edges? Or some sort of rounded-edge grommets or thin tubes through the EMT holes that Amsteel won't cut through?

Has anyone solved this, maybe from bridge hammock suspensions onto drilled-through spreaders? Or am I worrying about Amsteel abrasion that with frequent inspection won't be an issue for a long time?
    What I did was drill 1/2" hole in the EMT conduit, and then inserted 1/4" (inside diameter) PVC through the hole, leaving about 1/4" PVC sticking out both ends. Then, I melted the ends w/ a lighter until soft, and pressed on them with the back end of a spoon. This creates a nice smooth channel for the Amsteel, and the flared edges of the PVC completely covers the sharp edges of the holes drilled into the EMT conduit. I've had no issues w/ abrasion so far.

Hammock
    Dutch 12' Netless
    Tarp
    ProVenture Nylon
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Humming Bird style
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jeberly View Post
    Can you tell us your measurements? How much do you weigh? How far do the 3/4 polls go into the 1 inch? How long are the assembled polls?

Thanks

Sent from my KFTRWI using Tapatalk
    It all depend oh how long you want your final poles. I use a 4" overlap. For my 96" final pole length I cut them all to be 34". Just take the final length add the length of each overlap and divide by # of sections.
    i.e. 96" + 2 X 4" overlap = 108" total pipe / 3 sections = 34" per section.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff-oh View Post
    It all depend oh how long you want your final poles.
    A question on stability. I would like to use the stand while on Texas Rivers, and therefore tethering one or both ends would be sketchy on the banks of rivers. Getting further off the river would be trespassing.

How about some 0.6-inch sectioned tarp poles to bolster each end?

75-inch section lengths could be braced at say 75-degrees outward of each end at where the poles cross. The eyebolt already has a place to secure the aluminum bracing poles.

71dh2ZqeqBL._AC_SX425_.jpg

Using a "0.75-inch Long-Tee's" at the ends of the bracing poles would provide

kee_lite_L10_1.jpg

The sections of tarp poles could be adjusted so that one or two sections at each end would be enough to prevent sinkage, and therefor stabilize the apexes of the tensahedren from tipping one way or another.

(Imagine rotating the above image of the "Tee" 180-degree)

Might that work?

Hammock
    1.6oz HyperD XL whipped ends
    Tarp
    Cowboy Cat Tangle
    Insulation
    Gemini UQ, CDT TQ
    Suspension
    Marlinspike Hitch
    Quote Originally Posted by joe_guilbeau View Post
    How about some 0.6-inch sectioned tarp poles to bolster each end?
    . . .
    The sections of tarp poles could be adjusted so that one or two sections at each end would be enough to prevent sinkage, and therefor stabilize the apexes of the tensahedren from tipping one way or another.
    . . .
    Might that work?
    I may be misunderstanding what you are proposing here, but it sounds like you expect your tarp poles to prevent the ends of the stand from falling outward toward the ground.

The function of the end line in a tensahedron stand is to prevent the ends of the stand from folding *inward* towards each other. In other words, the end of the stand needs to be tied down, not “bolstered“ or held up.

If you’ll be camping on sand, look into a “deadman anchor“. Others here may have more specific experience with this type of anchor.

Images
    @maccmcd

Ah, mechanical aptitude is not in quiver. That makes sense, I was thinking,,,there is where the ignorance begins.

Thanks for the explanation.

Hammock
    Hennesy Expedition Asym
    Images
    Anyone in the Will County, Illinois that had done a DIY Tensa-Stand?

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    Quote Originally Posted by Ledanek View Post
    Anyone in the Will County, Illinois that had done a DIY Tensa-Stand?
    I used to live in Will County, and completed my DIY Tensa stand when I lived there. However, I'm now in NWI. It's quite simple to make, really. I primarily followed Mike's instructions from the Tensa website below. Instead, I didn't make mine with all the various adjustment points. I just drilled one hole for the 9'5" set up for each pole. It turned out great!

https://www.tensaoutdoor.com/make-yo...v=7516fd43adaa

Hammock
    Hennesy Expedition Asym
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rweb82 View Post
    I used to live in Will County, and completed my DIY Tensa stand when I lived there. However, I'm now in NWI. It's quite simple to make, really. I primarily followed Mike's instructions from the Tensa website below. Instead, I didn't make mine with all the various adjustment points. I just drilled one hole for the 9'5" set up for each pole. It turned out great!

https://www.tensaoutdoor.com/make-yo...v=7516fd43adaa
    Was hoping to check one out first, before I make an attempt to make my own. I already have two Turtledog Stand and was hoping to take a lighter alternative for coming trip to MT.

Hammock
    Hennesy Expedition Asym
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff-oh View Post
    This is one reason I prefer the bolted joint at the top Apex. A CL or soft shackle hanging from the 1/4" spacer allows both poles to be evenly loaded. This joint does not need to come apart. It simply folds down when storing the stand.
    Attachment 185901
    Note should use grade 5 or 8 hardware. The grade 2 hardware has shown to be weak and can bend.
    This caught my eye and curious is this an "Eye Bolt"? I'm creating a Shopping List in HomeD to purchase online and pick up...if anyone could assist me for a HomeD link to this exact bolt, would greatly appreciated, especially the mentioned Grade 5 or 8...no clue what it means and not sure which is better.
    Thanks

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    Quote Originally Posted by Ledanek View Post
    Was hoping to check one out first, before I make an attempt to make my own. I already have two Turtledog Stand and was hoping to take a lighter alternative for coming trip to MT.
    I'd recommend to just go ahead and make it. It's going to be much easier to pack up & move around than your Turtledog stands- especially if you go with the telescoping option. Plus, they're quite simple to make.

• + New Posts
  • Page 41 of 42 FirstFirst ... 3139404142 LastLast