SLD Trail Lair 11'
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    LocoLibre LongHot
    Suspension
    Strap and Hitch
    kamileon,

Maybe true where you are but I could only find them in 1 Surplus store here in Hampton Roads. They wanted $100 for the set of 12 with a bag and camo net spreaders. Wouldn't split them up from the other stuff. Local would be better, but for those who can't find them and are in the Mid-Atlantic area this is a good option.

Hammock
    Dutchware Wide Hexon 1.7
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Minifly
    Insulation
    HG Econ Phoenix
    Suspension
    beetle buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by WDPage View Post
    kamileon,

Maybe true where you are but I could only find them in 1 Surplus store here in Hampton Roads. They wanted $100 for the set of 12 with a bag and camo net spreaders. Wouldn't split them up from the other stuff. Local would be better, but for those who can't find them and are in the Mid-Atlantic area this is a good option.
    Good point.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC single layer in blue
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    0* Wooki
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by WDPage View Post
    For anyone interested I just bought 12 of these at $9.95 for 6 poles. Plus shipping, which was actually more than the cost of the poles. Final price was still under $50 for the set. You need to call them if you are ordering two sets, and probably not worth shipping if you aren't in the vicinity of Pennsylvania (I am in Southern Virginia).

https://colemans.com/shop/camping-ge...-used-6-poles/

HardWay, a few questions for you:

1. Did you paint your poles? Mine are camo, which is fine with me, but the solid color looks very nice.
    2. What type of saw/blade did you use to cut with? Did you have any problems with the fiberglass splintering?
    3. Have you researched any caps/feet for these poles? I have started looking, but no luck yet.

Thanks for the Great Idea! With 3 foot poles this will be compact enough for Car Camping with my Venturing Crew! May even be able to bring it on the canoe trips.
    1. Yes, I did paint mine with satin black Krylon spray paint.
    2. I used a bandsaw with a metal cutting blade. (Fine teeth) I wrapped the pole with tape where I cut to minimize any splintering. The cuts came out quite smooth.
    3. For end caps, I cut some plastic packing foam and put in the ends and then dipped them in Plasti-dip. I'm not sure how this well hold up long term, but I figured I'd give it a try.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair 11'
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    LocoLibre LongHot
    Suspension
    Strap and Hitch
    Quote Originally Posted by HardWay View Post
    1. Yes, I did paint mine with satin black Krylon spray paint.
    2. I used a bandsaw with a metal cutting blade. (Fine teeth) I wrapped the pole with tape where I cut to minimize any splintering. The cuts came out quite smooth.
    3. For end caps, I cut some plastic packing foam and put in the ends and then dipped them in Plasti-dip. I'm not sure how this well hold up long term, but I figured I'd give it a try.
    Thank you so much for the information, and especially the idea!!

I have found some pipe caps that I am going to try, looks like 1 3/4" for the big end and 1 1/2" for the small end should work.
    I don't have a band saw, so I will go with a hacksaw for the cuts.
    Still deciding on the paint or not. Camo doesn't bother me, but they are used so it is a little beaten up. I'm thinking eventually maybe a nice deep Blue to go with my hammock. Please let us know how the end caps and the paint hold up to the real world.

Camping tonight with the Venturing Crew and a new Scouts BSA Troop for Girls, so no time to do my build until sometime next week or the week after. I'll post pictures once it is built.

Lead the Adventure!

Hammock
    Amok XL
    Tarp
    TBD
    Suspension
    Tensa
    Quote Originally Posted by Latherdome View Post
    Slip toggle, is that what it’s called? The ball is just to hide the stopper knot, which looks too rude to some for a finished product.
    just watched your video and lo and behold it IS called a slip toggle after all

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Freebird
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12
    Insulation
    DIY Cosco Quilt
    This is my DIY Tensahedron stand. I used 12 fiberglass military poles cut down to 3ft each.Attachment 171112Attachment 171113Attachment 171114Attachment 171115
    HardWay i am planning on doing this same design with aluminum poles of the same style and was wondering if you have tested any weight limits on the poles you used?

Hammock
    WBBB XLC single layer in blue
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    0* Wooki
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Big_Bear View Post
    HardWay i am planning on doing this same design with aluminum poles of the same style and was wondering if you have tested any weight limits on the poles you used?
    No, I have not. I am about 180# or so and there was not much flex in the poles while in the hammock. My completely unscientific opinion is that you could easily go to 250 without any concern. Maybe some of the engineers here could do come calculations to get a better idea of the max weights possible.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Freebird
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12
    Insulation
    DIY Cosco Quilt
    No, I have not. I am about 180# or so and there was not much flex in the poles while in the hammock. My completely unscientific opinion is that you could easily go to 250 without any concern. Maybe some of the engineers here could do come calculations to get a better idea of the max weights possible.
    thanks for the response im thinking if im going to do this i will need to use the aluminum poles as im quite a big guy i just wish i could find them at a decent price.

Hammock
    banana-shaped
    Tarp
    greenish
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    disbelief
    thanks for the response im thinking if im going to do this i will need to use the aluminum poles as im quite a big guy i just wish i could find them at a decent price.
    If portability is less important than strength and low cost, you could use 2x4 lumber or steel fence top rails. 1.5" steel tube is plenty strong, much more than aluminum. If you can find aluminum in that diameter, it will also likely do, but cost much more.

Hammock
    Dutch 12' Netless
    Tarp
    ProVenture Nylon
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Humming Bird style
    Images
    Big Bear. The design presented as the start of this thread will hold 350 lbs with a safety factor of 3. The design has also been built and tested. Are your personal needs above this?

• + New Posts
  • Page 24 of 42 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast