Hammock
    CAMO DIY
    Tarp
    Sil Poly cammo DIY
    Insulation
    DIY Underquilt
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Guys l have some tubing coming but wondering what length to make my poles lve looked a good deal but cannot find a figure. I thought I saw somewhere the originals were 100" would that be ok?
    I'll be using a Warbonnet bb to hang.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC single layer in blue
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    0* Wooki
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Images
    The fiberglass military tent poles I used were 4 ft long and I cut them down to 3ft each and use 3 on each leg, for 108". My XLC hangs nicely. I would think 100" would work as well.

Hammock
    Dutch 12' Netless
    Tarp
    ProVenture Nylon
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Humming Bird style
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by HardWay View Post
    There is a local hardware store that carries them for 99 cents each. They are a military surplus item, so you could look in that type of store. I see there are some listings on Ebay but they are more expensive.
    I would love to know were you could find these for $0.99 each.

Hammock
    banana-shaped
    Tarp
    greenish
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff-oh View Post
    That price says somebody got too many free or cheap and just wants them gone. HardWay could maybe offer to buy them all for $0.49/ea and sell them on this thread for $1.99 each and retire early.

Re length, 8’ is a practical minimum for 11’ hammocks with little or no room for adjustment: be sure to connect as close to ends as practicable with 8’. Longer makes everything including tarps easier but weaker and/or heavier.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    --
    Tensa Outdoor, LLC, maker of the Tensa4, Tensa Solo, and Tensa Trekking Treez hammock stands: http://tensaoutdoor.com/

Hammock
    CAMO DIY
    Tarp
    Sil Poly cammo DIY
    Insulation
    DIY Underquilt
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Thanks Latherdome it's appreciated.
    The longest tarp I use is 12'
    I think I will plan for a longer pole to start say 105"
    Last edited by piscator; 01-06-2019 at 16:34.

Hammock
    Amok XL
    Tarp
    TBD
    Suspension
    Tensa
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff-oh View Post
    yup, if you find them sign me up for a dozen as well.

I found some a Princess Auto ... Canada's version of Harbor Freight ... and they are $4.99 CDN each. Still not bad and I'll probably get some instead of fence to rails or conduit which would be about the same price and not as collapsible.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC single layer in blue
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    0* Wooki
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Images
    The store is located in the western New York area and they've had them at that price for several years at least. I don't know how they came to have them or how big their supply is.
    Not really interested in buying and reselling them, as nice as that sounds to retire.

Quote Originally Posted by ajd4096 View Post
    Another similar design I found from 2014 https://imgur.com/y4a25KC

The bottom ends of the inverted vees and the end tethers all connect to a central frame.

Less portable, but it could be handy for dragging around the back yard.

Edit: Thinking that looked like a commercial product, a bit of sleuthing turns up Figure 6 in patent WO2006081606A1, which lead me to
    https://web.archive.org/web/20070802.../products.html
    and
    https://web.archive.org/web/20070802.../overview.html

which was previously linked from here:
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...-system-Aussie

Ah, the circle of life.
    Oh man, this looks like it would be great for solving the problem of tethering indoors!
    https://web.archive.org/web/20070802...ges/thihk1.jpg

I'm still trying to figure out what to do about a stand. That one looks like it could the best solution I've seen so far. I'm still not understanding how the diy for this works though. I really fear getting whacked by the bars.

Hammock
    banana-shaped
    Tarp
    greenish
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Quote Originally Posted by pothos View Post
    Oh man, this looks like it would be great for solving the problem of tethering indoors!

I'm still trying to figure out what to do about a stand. That one looks like it could the best solution I've seen so far. I'm still not understanding how the diy for this works though. I really fear getting whacked by the bars.
    Do you mean for that base? Raftingtigger made one early. Requires heavy/stiff materials, severely compromising portability of stand. It’s not that hard to find suitable anchor points in most rooms to stabilize. Light screwhook into floorboard or baseboard is a measure of last resort. Load doesn’t come close to what a wall anchor for direct hammock connection sees. I suppose you could lay down a sheet of plywood and use that as a base, the stand feet near corners of one diagonal and anchor lines running to hooks in the remaining corners.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    --
    Tensa Outdoor, LLC, maker of the Tensa4, Tensa Solo, and Tensa Trekking Treez hammock stands: http://tensaoutdoor.com/

Hammock
    Dutch 12' Netless
    Tarp
    ProVenture Nylon
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Humming Bird style
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pothos View Post

To me, this could be a viable quick option for indoor hanging. The napkin design would be a 2x4 running the length of the hammock with a cross piece 2x6 with a slot carved out to receive the pole ends/or perhaps drilled angled holes... Has possibilities.

Remember each style stand has it's strong points and it's weak points. The stand described in this thread has the strong points of being inexpensive, easy to make, stable, light weight, and portable.
    If you want lighter weight and more portable you can go with the commercial version at a cost of expense and stability.
    If you are looking at a self-supporting, more permanent setup or an indoor setup that does not modify the house then there are better stands out there that may meet those needs.
    One of the biggest drawbacks to this design is the need to tether both ends to a secure point. It is not a showstopper obviously, but something that does need attention when setting up.

as for fitting tarps this DYI version is particularly adaptable to adjusting to fit a tarp and hammock set-up. That is not to say the dimensions given will fit every tarp, but the adjustments in design can be made to match nearly every tarp hammock combination commonly used. I have an 11' hammock and 10' tarp and it works wonderfully.

Hope more people make them and try them out and if you do not want to tinker with making one buy the commercial version from what I can tell Leatherdome is putting out a great product.

• + New Posts
  • Page 18 of 42 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast