Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Amok XL
    Tarp
    TBD
    Suspension
    Tensa
    Quote Originally Posted by Latherdome View Post
    As you say, ideal bolt axis depends on splay. Yes, sinewy joints like rope solve the problem easily. Certainly does not require fancy knots. Overhand/granny will do. Just use strong rope and assure that the hole edges won’t cut it, inspecting regularly if in doubt.

Other nice thing about floppy joints at the foot is they’ll let all 4 pole ends load equally onto the ground for least chance of slip or damage.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    In my absent mindedness I seem to remember a video you (?) did with new short cord that had a ball on one end and a slip toggle on the other end. I think it was for the top connection. What I'm wondering is couldn't you use that idea for the bottom splay cord. Say 6' long with a ball and toggle on each end ... slip each toggle through the holes in the two bottom poles and half turn to lock and it's done, the poles are locked together and the splay is set.

Hammock
    banana-shaped
    Tarp
    greenish
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Quote Originally Posted by Danalex View Post
    In my absent mindedness I seem to remember a video you (?) did with new short cord that had a ball on one end and a slip toggle on the other end. I think it was for the top connection. What I'm wondering is couldn't you use that idea for the bottom splay cord. Say 6' long with a ball and toggle on each end ... slip each toggle through the holes in the two bottom poles and half turn to lock and it's done, the poles are locked together and the splay is set.
    Slip toggle, is that what it’s called? The ball is just to hide the stopper knot, which looks too rude to some for a finished product. There is no reason whatsoever both top and bottom joints shouldn’t be identical provided they accommodate the necessary freedom of movement, as they are in commercial version. Means you can’t assemble anything upside-down/backwards.

It’s fine to lock the splay to a fixed length if optimizing for one user and one hammock, but different users and hammocks call for adjustable splay length.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    --
    Tensa Outdoor, LLC, maker of the Tensa4, Tensa Solo, and Tensa Trekking Treez hammock stands: http://tensaoutdoor.com/

Hammock
    Amok XL
    Tarp
    TBD
    Suspension
    Tensa
    Quote Originally Posted by Latherdome View Post
    Slip toggle, is that what it’s called?
    seemed like a good enough name

... so what IS it called?

I do like the idea better than tying with rope and knots

Hammock
    banana-shaped
    Tarp
    greenish
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Quote Originally Posted by Danalex View Post
    ... so what IS it called?
    Lotta things: https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...=1#post1941293

Here it's called the TiggzToggle & loop assembly, which, yes, can work fine on a DIY: https://www.tensaoutdoor.com/product/parts-a-la-carte/ . I'd allow a 10mm hole (8 will do), and use an edge-softening treatment like the excellent one shown earlier in this thread: https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...=1#post1918795
    --
    Tensa Outdoor, LLC, maker of the Tensa4, Tensa Solo, and Tensa Trekking Treez hammock stands: http://tensaoutdoor.com/

Hammock
    Amok XL
    Tarp
    TBD
    Suspension
    Tensa
    OK got it ... it's a Tiggle ... I had to google it btw

personally I like that idea with a stopper 6 or so inches in, pass the lines through each post without need to do any looping and lock, would that work for the bottom splay line?
    Last edited by Danalex; 01-01-2019 at 11:10.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    Incubator, Burrow
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckle
    Okay. Ready to get back to this. I drilled holes in the bottom of each pole and inserted rubber grommets.

What type of load do the loops that attach the legs together bear? Can I just use paracord or do I need amsteel. I have no splicing ability so if I need amsteel what would be the best route to go and order? If I just use paracord, hoe much give should their be, or what size should the loop be that attaches both legs.

Edit: I found the posts that show how to attach them with continuous loops of amsteel 18" in diameter. But that requires a 1/2" hole so I will need a new drill bit and more grommets. So if there are options to utilize the 1/4" hole I would still love to try that. If not I can go the amsteel route.

Hope that all makes sense.

Thanks everyone.
    Last edited by Armadillo Hanger; 01-04-2019 at 13:10.

Hammock
    10' SFOC
    Looks great!
    Chris Siebenaler
    Sloth and Fox Outdoor Company
    Amazon
    Facebook
    Instagram
    Website

Hammock
    banana-shaped
    Tarp
    greenish
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Quote Originally Posted by Armadillo Hanger View Post
    Okay. Ready to get back to this. I drilled holes in the bottom of each pole and inserted rubber grommets.

What type of load do the loops that attach the legs together bear? Can I just use paracord or do I need amsteel. I have no splicing ability so if I need amsteel what would be the best route to go and order? If I just use paracord, hoe much give should their be, or what size should the loop be that attaches both legs.

Hope that all makes sense.

Thanks everyone.
    Load increases as splay increases and as friction of surface decreases. I would be shocked if paracord insufficient. Anecdotally, when in my stand on low-pile carpet i can reach down and pluck the baseline. It’s taut but not guitar string taut. Maybe the big string on a double bass at worst...

No need to splice. Splices just look cleaner than knots. Not close to breaking load.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    --

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    Incubator, Burrow
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckle
    Great, thanks. I will give it a shot with just running the paracord through the grommets and tying it off. Any guidance on the ending size of the loop created. I assume it shouldn't be snug against the two poles when tied but I didn't know how much slack to leave for movement.

• + New Posts
  • Page 16 of 42 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast