banana-shaped
    Tarp
    greenish
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Quote Originally Posted by Sleeper View Post
    I admit to being baffled about the optimal length for the tensahedron poles. It seems to be somewhere from 8'-6" to 9'-0". I like the versatility you've shown for a simple 10' camping tarp. Settling in for the storm with a few hurricane drops in your tea or whiskey.
    Confounding factors are hammock length and user height/weight, and what if any consideration is given to tarps.

For users of average height, 8' is enough for an 11' hammock if connections are near the ends, suspension minimal, and no tarp consideration. If it's an 8' lounger hammock, 7' poles may be enough. Tall users (over 6') may need longer for improved head/foot clearance. All excess length is useful for accommodating tarps in the common tarp ridgeline sizes, with 8'6" enough for an 11' low tarp. But as the poles get longer to accommodate really big tarps, they get weaker, so unless made of heavier stuff are unsuitable for heavy users.
    --
    Tensa Outdoor, LLC, maker of the Tensa4, Tensa Solo, and Tensa Trekking Treez hammock stands: http://tensaoutdoor.com/

Hammock
    Dutch 12' Netless
    Tarp
    ProVenture Nylon
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Humming Bird style
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Latherdome View Post
    Confounding factors are hammock length and user height/weight, and what if any consideration is given to tarps.

For users of average height, 8' is enough for an 11' hammock if connections are near the ends, suspension minimal, and no tarp consideration. If it's an 8' lounger hammock, 7' poles may be enough. Tall users (over 6') may need longer for improved head/foot clearance. All excess length is useful for accommodating tarps in the common tarp ridgeline sizes, with 8'6" enough for an 11' low tarp. But as the poles get longer to accommodate really big tarps, they get weaker, so unless made of heavier stuff are unsuitable for heavy users.
    As usual Latherdome is dead on. The reason I made my poles 8' (96" from one ground end to the hammock attach point - Poles are actually cut at 98" to allow the end plugs) is because of my height and weight. The 8' length was the longest I could make them and keep the Margin of Safety (Failure Load/Applied Load -1) at a healthy 200% for a 350# applied load. What this means is I would not expect the pole to fail until 1050# is applied. That spread may seam like alot, however loading factors can quick multiply by shifting and moving, While capability can be reduced by wear and tear or aging and damage. The industry standard for overhead or supporting of people off the ground is a MS of 10 to 1000% stronger than expected load. In hammocking DIY suspensions designs usually go from MS 3 to 5.

It is simple enough to run the calculations if you have a desired length you'd like to use. On another thread a guy who said he weighed 180 is using the full 10' length.

If you will be permanently attaching the sleeve pipe to the EMT, One tip I'd suggest before cutting the pipe is do not just cut into thirds. Make the center pole 2" longer so they will all be even length when complete. if you're going to have a 3 1/2" joint 7"/2 = 3.5" Then make the center pipe 2" longer than the two end pipes.

i.e. if 99" total length.

cut into 3rds
    33" - 33" - 33" with sleeves installed yields 36.5" - 33" - 36.5"

instead lengthen the center by 2" and reduce the ends by 1"

32 - 35 - 32 with sleeves installed yields 35.5" -35 -35.5"

You can iterate further if OCD needs them all to be exactly the same length.

Quote Originally Posted by jeff-oh View Post

i.e. if 99" total length.

cut into 3rds
    33" - 33" - 33" with sleeves installed yields 36.5" - 33" - 36.5"

instead lengthen the center by 2" and reduce the ends by 1"

32 - 35 - 32 with sleeves installed yields 35.5" -35 -35.5"

You can iterate further if OCD needs them all to be exactly the same length.
    Ha! Your method cuts to the chase. I went straight to algebra.

Hammock
    Dutch 12' Netless
    Tarp
    ProVenture Nylon
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Humming Bird style
    Images
    Ha! Your method cuts to the chase. I went straight to algebra.
    I started to derive the formula to calculate it to the 10 decimal, but after a day of trying to figure out corporate financial accounting and why the end of the months is mostly the 29th but sometimes the 26th of a month and not the 30th or 31st.... My head hurt too much.

Hammock
    DIY 12ft HyperD 1.6SL
    Tarp
    The Stingray DIY
    Insulation
    Incubator/Gemini
    Suspension
    UCRWhoopieCinch
    Thought I would add some photos to the thread since jeffo was so helpful.

Came up with a successful tensa using full length ten foot emt conduit, some steel cabling and fasteners.

Feet are 73 inches apart. Ridgeline is 14'4". Holds in the ground with a single aluminum stake if pitched at the right angle.

It feels solid for my 180lbs.

Thanks for the folks who answered my questions. I've got a functional stand for less than forty bucks.

Wife and I tested the stand together and it held us both. I wouldn't recommend, but it was holding our ~300lbs without too much bend.

This is a great "no-hammock park" car camping option. Music festivals etc... Love it!

"If we lose the forests, we lose our only instructors. People must see these forests and wilderness as the greatest educational system that we have on the planet. If we lose all the universities in the world, then we would lose nothing. But If we lose the forests, we lose everything." -- Bill Mollison

Very nice. Are you transporting it on a roof rack?

Hammock
    DIY 12ft HyperD 1.6SL
    Tarp
    The Stingray DIY
    Insulation
    Incubator/Gemini
    Suspension
    UCRWhoopieCinch
    Very nice. Are you transporting it on a roof rack?
    Yes. Will transport on a roof rack designed for hauling long lumber. Fits in the bed of the pickup with three feet hanging over also
    "If we lose the forests, we lose our only instructors. People must see these forests and wilderness as the greatest educational system that we have on the planet. If we lose all the universities in the world, then we would lose nothing. But If we lose the forests, we lose everything." -- Bill Mollison

Hammock
    Dutch 12' Netless
    Tarp
    ProVenture Nylon
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Humming Bird style
    Images
    Cabmanhang, that is one nice looking rig you made. Thank you for sharing your project.

I'm interested in the triangular tarps hanging on the end, would you elaborate on what they are, purpose etc. They look interesting.

Hammock
    DIY 12ft HyperD 1.6SL
    Tarp
    The Stingray DIY
    Insulation
    Incubator/Gemini
    Suspension
    UCRWhoopieCinch
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff-oh View Post
    Cabmanhang, that is one nice looking rig you made. Thank you for sharing your project.

I'm interested in the triangular tarps hanging on the end, would you elaborate on what they are, purpose etc. They look interesting.
    Jeff Oh, Those are just some tarp beaks I made from the drops of the tarp material. They help with privacy and prevailing winds. They work pretty well with the stand. The interior poles create too much of an arc for complete coverage, but it is close.

Hammock
    WB Eldorado/DIY
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/DIY 12'
    Insulation
    WB Wooki/HG Burrow
    Suspension
    DW Spider/Beetle
    Quote Originally Posted by Cabmanhang View Post
    Jeff Oh, Those are just some tarp beaks I made from the drops of the tarp material. They help with privacy and prevailing winds. They work pretty well with the stand. The interior poles create too much of an arc for complete coverage, but it is close.
    The stand looks great! That kind of length on the ridgeline will let you hang pretty much whatever you want, in whatever configuration you want to do it.

I've never seen tarp beaks used like that, but it makes perfect sense now that I've seen it. That's a really nice configuration!

• + New Posts
  • Page 35 of 42 FirstFirst ... 253334353637 ... LastLast