Hammock
    Who can choose?
    Tarp
    DW Bonded P2F
    Insulation
    Unicorn Fur
    Suspension
    Beckett hitch
    Here is one of the great things about the cottage vendors in this community: they not only permit, they actively encourage folks to take their designs and make them for themselves as DIY. Latherdome puts a section on his blog about DIYing the Tensahedron hammock stand; then he comes on this forum and gives suggestions and advice for people building their own - and I've seen the same from other folks in this community. The only time we see anyone getting into copyright infringement legalities is if someone takes a cottage vendor's design, copies it, and starts trying to sell it as their own - which I think anyone would agree is no bueno. But making it for yourself? As much as you like - and they'll even help you.

Fantastic.

I love this place.
    Medical professional, semi-professional Scouter, aspiring layabout.
    "If it's stupid, and it works - it's not stupid."

S487-132

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Quest
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    docbrown, is that first point, "The poles at the two bases make a 90degree angle.” valid? Of course you can setup anyway you want. But I’m sure many of the photos I’ve seen of DIY Tensa stands, cross down by the foot but not necessarily at 90 degrees. I thought adjusting that angle was one of the parameters for lengthening the ridgeline distance? It can’t be too flat and it can’t be too steep, but I didn’t think it had to be at 90° to the other pole?
    No, it's definitely not a design requirement. Basically, that calculator gives the approximate ridgeline length that corresponds to a 90degree angle between the poles. That angle can be larger or smaller and work fine. I think if the angle is too large, you're likely to get more stress on the joint between the two poles, and if it's too shallow, the stand becomes less stable. 90degrees seems to be close to the sweet spot (though I haven't done all the force vector analysis to say that with 100% confidence). I set up the calculator to give me a good idea of how changing the pole length would change the ridgeline length and how far apart I should expect to set the two base points. Of course, it also doesn't account for the fact that the poles are not actually in contact with each other at the joints. So the calculator is really only giving an approximation, which is nice as a starting point.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Quest
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Also, I posted pictures originally over in the trip reports section, but here is my stand in action on a campout a couple weeks ago. We had some pretty significant wind and rain blow through, but it held up perfectly.
    IMG_4007.jpgIMG_4001.jpgIMG_4008.jpg
    Sorry about that last picture. I couldn't figure out how to get it to rotate - it looks correct on my computer but not after it gets uploaded. I attached a paracord ridgeline across the top of the stand, partly just to protect my tarp in case anything happened. I also placed a stake in the ground at the head end and just kept the tether to it nice and loose (even when I was in the hammock) to ensure that the wind (and other campers walking past) didn't knock the stand over.

Thanks to this thread and Latherdome's original thread (https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...sahedron-Stand) I made one today. Very crudely built as a proof of concept for myself. I used 2x2x8's and some excess paracord that I had. I also used the Caghlan's Twist Anchor stake that I usually keep with my DIY hammock chair. (Initially tried a standard aluminum Y tent stake but that didn't have enough hold. - maybe it will when I get more used to the stand and how to balance it.) Next step will be to take it apart and sand & paint the wood so it looks nicer.

Note: Since I was using 8' boards, I tried it with my short hammock first (Cheap 9.5' amazon hammock)

IMG_20210509_184316.jpg IMG_20210509_184513.jpg

- Clyde

Hammock
    Dutch 12' Netless
    Tarp
    ProVenture Nylon
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Humming Bird style
    Images
    So is there a new requirement that you have to be an MD or PhD. to post on this thread now? Last 3 posts by DocTheo, DocBrown, and DocWatson.

DocWatson, loos like a good stand.

Quote Originally Posted by jeff-oh View Post
    So is there a new requirement that you have to be an MD or PhD. to post on this thread now? Last 3 posts by DocTheo, DocBrown, and DocWatson.

DocWatson, loos like a good stand.
    LOL & thanks. 'Doc' is a nickname given to me by my college buddies because of my surname. (Sherlock Holmes reference) I wear it proudly. My dad's buddies called him Doc, and my son's college buddies call him Doc too.

- Clyde

I am striving to read through the whole thread, but in the meantime I have a question. I am thinking fence top rails using amsteel continuous loops through holes with grommets. My first question is what do you hang the hammock from? I have tried to see in the pics posted how people have hung who used the continuous loops to hold everything together with no success so far.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rileysowner View Post
    I am striving to read through the whole thread, but in the meantime I have a question. I am thinking fence top rails using amsteel continuous loops through holes with grommets. My first question is what do you hang the hammock from? I have tried to see in the pics posted how people have hung who used the continuous loops to hold everything together with no success so far.

You can wrap one of the hammock continuous loops directly, or a suspension strap from your hammock, around one of the poles. This will be held up near the top of the poles by the Amsteel loops that are holding the poles together. Or, you can tie a suspension strap- or use a carbiner- to wrap around your loops that hold the bar together. Or, you can run a strap from one of the bars, back to the CLs on your hammock, just as you might do when hanging from trees, and tighten the hammock up until the tension is adequate. Many ways.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 06-20-2021 at 22:44.

Hammock
    banana-shaped
    Tarp
    greenish
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    disbelief

DYI Tensahedron Hammock Stand

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    You can wrap one of the hammock continuous loops directly, or a suspension strap from your hammock, around one of the poles. This will be held up near the top of the poles by the Amsteel loops that are holding the poles together. Or, you can tie a suspension strap- or use a carbiner- to wrap around your loops that hold the bar together. Or, you can run a strap from one of the bars, back to the CLs on your hammock, just as you might do when hanging from trees, and tighten the hammock up until the tension is adequate. Many ways.
    Perfectly said. I’ll add a note underscoring importance of looping over only one pole per end, never both. If you do both thinking the wedge shape will hold it up, you’re mistaken. It will slide down and put side loads on the poles, which in combination with compression will buckle them. Happens a lot on first hangs. There won’t be a second hang before you replace parts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    --
    Tensa Outdoor, LLC, maker of the Tensa4, Tensa Solo, and Tensa Trekking Treez hammock stands: http://tensaoutdoor.com/

Hammock
    Dutch 12' Netless
    Tarp
    ProVenture Nylon
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Humming Bird style
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rileysowner View Post
    This is one reason I prefer the bolted joint at the top Apex. A CL or soft shackle hanging from the 1/4" spacer allows both poles to be evenly loaded. This joint does not need to come apart. It simply folds down when storing the stand.
    h2.jpg
    Note should use grade 5 or 8 hardware. The grade 2 hardware has shown to be weak and can bend.

• + New Posts
  • Page 39 of 42 FirstFirst ... 293738394041 ... LastLast