Hammock Tent/SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Tarptent/Thunderfl
    Insulation
    EE
    Suspension
    Kevlar/B. Hitch
    Quote Originally Posted by Latherdome View Post
    There’s a German maker of a VERY light carbon fiber tensahedron, currently not recommended for use with anything but transverse hammocks. The steep hang angles are less demanding structurally than gathered-ends: https://crosshammock.com/en/shop/carbon-tree/ . I admire the simple soft-shackle joints.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Wow. I don't understand the science, but I'm surprised to see how wide the base is on that. I guess I could give it a try, but I don't see the benefit. Mine is a 6' base, but that's only cos I'm using a 6' tree strap I had laying around. Maybe steeper hang angle would allow shorter poles, which would be nice...

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Amok Draumr XL
    Tarp
    Cave Creek Hammock
    Insulation
    Amok Fjøl XL
    Suspension
    Amok suspension
    After an adventure during my nap where the paracord decided to let go, I made a change to the leg connections. Now for my late afternoon nap.

Is there any place where folks have compiled a list of lengths and such for various lengths of hammocks and tarps? I've read a lot of both this and the massive original thread, and I'm having a hard time figuring out the right lengths for everything.

I'll be hanging a Dutchware Chameleon (11' hammock, 9' ridgeline) but the tarp I have and had intended to use is a bit under 12' (Hammock Gear Journey II). Seems like the ~8' length would be reasonable for the hammock, but seems too short for the tarp. Do I just leave a bit of extra length for the tarp to attach? I've seen a few cases of tarp "extenders" but haven't found a great description of one yet (must be buried in there somewhere). I've tried searching, but just not having luck finding what I'm looking for. Any pointers in the right direction would be appreciated.

Hammock
    banana-shaped
    Tarp
    greenish
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Quote Originally Posted by tpag2000 View Post
    Is there any place where folks have compiled a list of lengths and such for various lengths of hammocks and tarps? I've read a lot of both this and the massive original thread, and I'm having a hard time figuring out the right lengths for everything.

I'll be hanging a Dutchware Chameleon (11' hammock, 9' ridgeline) but the tarp I have and had intended to use is a bit under 12' (Hammock Gear Journey II). Seems like the ~8' length would be reasonable for the hammock, but seems too short for the tarp. Do I just leave a bit of extra length for the tarp to attach? I've seen a few cases of tarp "extenders" but haven't found a great description of one yet (must be buried in there somewhere). I've tried searching, but just not having luck finding what I'm looking for. Any pointers in the right direction would be appreciated.
    8.5’ poles are good for an 11’ tarp. I’d go at least 9’ for 12’ tarp. But while that will handle the span, most want more height too. Our forthcoming extensions are best approach we tested. Not too hard to DIY if you’re handy: https://www.tensaoutdoor.com/2018/11...ns-for-tensa4/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    --
    Tensa Outdoor, LLC, maker of the Tensa4, Tensa Solo, and Tensa Trekking Treez hammock stands: http://tensaoutdoor.com/

Thanks Latherdome. About to build a DIY version of the stand. Those tarp extenders do seem pretty straightforward to DIY so I may try out some of those as well. Though your mention of separate polls in that article made me remember a set of collapsible tarp poles that I actually have lying around. I've got some car camping coming up and plan to try out the DIY stand. I'm still getting into hammock camping, but if all works out well, I suspect one of your portable versions will be in my future.

Hammock
    Dutch 12' Netless
    Tarp
    ProVenture Nylon
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Humming Bird style
    Images
    For a 12' tarp,you could just extend the poles and put the attachment hole at 115" instead of the 96" I did. That would put the tarp ridgeline at about 7 1/2 feet high. (90").

Looking to make a version of this stand. It sounds like 3/4" emt will handle my 320# with a good safety factor. May use 1" emt for a little extra piece of mind. I have 7/64 amsteel diy loops for the top and bottom connections. Was thinking of using mule tape for for base line and anchor lines. My question is, are the holes on the poles in line top to bottom or 90 deg. apart? They look like they are 90 deg.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DIY 11ft
    Tarp
    DIY - SilPoly 2.0
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield 5
    Suspension
    UCR
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 1coolturtle View Post
    Looking to make a version of this stand. It sounds like 3/4" emt will handle my 320# with a good safety factor. May use 1" emt for a little extra piece of mind. I have 7/64 amsteel diy loops for the top and bottom connections. Was thinking of using mule tape for for base line and anchor lines. My question is, are the holes on the poles in line top to bottom or 90 deg. apart? They look like they are 90 deg.

I snapped amsteel on my first attempt. I suggest using steel cable.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Dutch 12' Netless
    Tarp
    ProVenture Nylon
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Humming Bird style
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 1coolturtle View Post

The holes were line drilled so the bolt would go through to hold the poles together.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    I thought about bolting the holes but was told the poles need to rotate/twist a bit an the bolt would prevent that. So the connection is made with something flexible - like the wire. Or some Amsteal type cord is used but only if the holes have been treated so the edges are not sharp - so they don't cut the cord.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

• + New Posts
  • Page 28 of 42 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast