SLD Voyageur / TL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    SLD UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Buckles/Becket
    Quote Originally Posted by Latherdome View Post
    Perfectly said. I’ll add a note underscoring importance of looping over only one pole per end, never both. If you do both thinking the wedge shape will hold it up, you’re mistaken. It will slide down and put side loads on the poles, which in combination with compression will buckle them. Happens a lot on first hangs. There won’t be a second hang before you replace parts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Just to clarify for my (sometimes) simple mind.

I can loop my strap or CL loop around
    - one pole, either is fine
    - the amstel loop holding the poles together

but NOT BOTH poles?

Hammock
    banana-shaped
    Tarp
    greenish
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Quote Originally Posted by Tpatter View Post
    Just to clarify for my (sometimes) simple mind.

I can loop my strap or CL loop around
    - one pole, either is fine
    - the amstel loop holding the poles together

but NOT BOTH poles?
    Yes. The Amsteel loop is the same thing as “around one pole.” It won’t rest on the pole, but slide down to the connector loop, loading both poles equally. It’s also the same as hanging from a bolted connection’s spacer: you loop it over one pole to get it there in the middle.

--
    Tensa Outdoor, LLC, maker of the Tensa4, Tensa Solo, and Tensa Trekking Treez hammock stands: http://tensaoutdoor.com/

Images
    Yes. The Amsteel loop is the same thing as “around one pole.” It won’t rest on the pole, but slide down to the connector loop, loading both poles equally. It’s also the same as hanging from a bolted connection’s spacer: you loop it over one pole to get it there in the middle.

And now let me add a hopefully final question re: this subject. I knew to "hang from one pole", but did not know why, just that poles could be bent due to some sort of wrong loading. But, is the only, or the main, reason just to keep a hammock or suspension loop from sliding down the Tensa poles and bending them? Because it would be able to go around the Amsteel cord that connects the 2 tensa poles?

A related question: when hanging the hammock suspension or CL from ONE pole, does the ground tether also need to be connected to the SAME pole? Or, can the other pole be used as long as the ground tether is connected to just one pole, preventing the tether from slipping down the pole?

Hammock
    banana-shaped
    Tarp
    greenish
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    But, is the only, or the main, reason just to keep a hammock or suspension loop from sliding down the Tensa poles and bending them? Because it would be able to go around the Amsteel cord that connects the 2 tensa poles?
    I've read this slowly many times but still don't understand. Can you re-word it?

A related question: when hanging the hammock suspension or CL from ONE pole, does the ground tether also need to be connected to the SAME pole? Or, can the other pole be used as long as the ground tether is connected to just one pole, preventing the tether from slipping down the pole?
    The ground tether can go around either pole end as well. Even if you were to loop it over both poles, it doesn't seem likely to me that it would slide down and squeeze the poles together since the stand ridgeline and/or hammock suspension might intercept, and the direction of pull isn't right for it to want to slide down anyway. In fact, depending on the angle of the tether, there's risk that it can pull off and let the stand drop. Let's say you tied to a post at head height instead of to the ground, or the ground slopes up so the anchor is at nearly the same level as the apex. The loop can pull off, maybe taking a foot with it. This actually happened to a Warbonnet guy on first setup: oops. The solution is to pass the tether first under the pole connector, between the two poles, and then up and over a pole end.
    --
    Tensa Outdoor, LLC, maker of the Tensa4, Tensa Solo, and Tensa Trekking Treez hammock stands: http://tensaoutdoor.com/

Images
    I've read this slowly many times but still don't understand. Can you re-word it?

The ground tether can go around either pole end as well. Even if you were to loop it over both poles, it doesn't seem likely to me that it would slide down and squeeze the poles together since the stand ridgeline and/or hammock suspension might intercept, and the direction of pull isn't right for it to want to slide down anyway. In fact, depending on the angle of the tether, there's risk that it can pull off and let the stand drop. Let's say you tied to a post at head height instead of to the ground, or the ground slopes up so the anchor is at nearly the same level as the apex. The loop can pull off, maybe taking a foot with it. This actually happened to a Warbonnet guy on first setup: oops. The solution is to pass the tether first under the pole connector, between the two poles, and then up and over a pole end.
    OK, thanks for the tether explanation.
    Rewording: Is the only reason for connecting the hammock to one pole only to keep it from sliding down the pole?

Hammock
    banana-shaped
    Tarp
    greenish
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Is the only reason for connecting the hammock to one pole only to keep it from sliding down the pole?
    It avoids that known hazard. It's also real simple, and simple is usually good.

Images
    OK, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by HomerJ View Post
    Finally tested mine today. Made a collapsable version, 3 pieces for each pole. 3/4 and 1" conduit. Testing with my Hennessy Leaf Lounger XL has been great, I fell asleep! Should work the same with my Explorer XL, they are supposed to be the same size.

Used peened copper tubing to channel the Amsteel soft shackles without hopefully damaging them. Pretty happy!
    Can you tell us your measurements? How much do you weigh? How far do the 3/4 polls go into the 1 inch? How long are the assembled polls?

Thanks

Sent from my KFTRWI using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by jeff-oh View Post
    I just finished building a Tensahedron hammock stand. Wow could nothing be easier? Thank you Leatherdome for the inspiration.

Attachment 167447

Material List:
    4x 3/4" x 10' EMT
    2x eye-bolt 1/4"-20 x 3" need 2 /12" shank length with nuts. You can also use 2 1/2" hex bolts.
    2x 1/4" Nylon spacer
    Paracord

Tools:
    Tape measure
    Drill w/ 1/8" and 1/4" bits
    Spanner
    Hack saw

Cost ~$25.00 at Home Depot. Assembly Time < 1 hour

1) Line drilled 1/4" holes through EMT pipe at 96" (8') from one end. (4X).
    2) Assembled 2 pipes together with the eye-bolt, placing the nylon spacer between the pipes. The eye is placed so that it faces inboard.
    Attachment 167440
    3) Shear lashed the legs of the pole sets together ~2" from the end. I used one piece for para-cord with 60" (5') of cordage between the legs to control splay. If you are not good at knots, then you could always drill a hole near the bottom of the legs and tie them together with a loop of para-cord through the holes. Trick is you want them a little loose to each other so they do not bind up the bolt at the top as you set it up and take it down.
    Attachment 167441
    The now assembled Tensahedron Hammock stand is ready to set up. Heavy ground stakes and para-cord was used to tether each end.
    The hammock is hung on soft shackles that loop over the nylon spacer. Do not attach hammock to the eye bolt. You will apply too much bending force and bend the bolt.
    Attachment 167450Attachment 167451
    with the hammock hung the tarp can be attached. I attached a 10' tarp with no load carabiners to the eye-bolt.
    Attachment 167449
    With no one in the hammock the tarp holds the weight of the poles, and the hammock ridgeline is just slack. When you get in the hammock, the hammock suspension will adjust to the proper angle which pulls the poles inward a little. This unloads the tarp and the hammock's ridgeline takes the longitudinal load. Adjusting the hammock suspension length such that the load is off the tarp but not so much that the tarp goes slack or sags.
    Attachment 167445
    I am now ready to go to state parks or group camps where there are not good trees or not allowed to hang from trees. I found the stand to be quite stable, and very comfy. I used tethers on both ends and highly recommend that. Set it up such that one tether is a little loose and will allow the unit to rock ~2"-4". This set up also comes down and folds up nicely. I tie and wrap the tether lines to hold the poles together in storage. Folded dimensions are about 2" x 2" x 100". Little long to go in the trunk of a car, but the bed of a truck or the roof rack along side of the canoe/kayak no problem.

Only thing left to do is trim the excess pole length... But only after another nap. Attachment 167448

I am very happy with this project. If you make one please let us know.
    Omg... It looks awesome... I love diy hammock like this... So I want to use this for ido fishing

Posting a link to yet another DIY packable tensa build from UK fellow . I Started a thread yesterday but no replies so hoping to get more feedback here ?

Also big thanks/respect to Latherdome /Tensa for helping people rather than perhaps being bitter that their business may/will lose dollars or a few sales because of the DIY interest . I found it both amazing and refreshing to see the section on their website which almost encourages people to make their own version ...although few ..if any will match the real deal . I would buy from the states but having minimal income together with the huge added costs of importing to the UK , I would never be able to own something similar unless I home build.

Link to thread https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...a-stand-(-UK-)

• + New Posts
  • Page 40 of 42 FirstFirst ... 303839404142 LastLast