Tarp
    Hammock Gear Quest
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    I built a stand based on Mike Jones's build from Tensahedron's site:
    https://www.tensaoutdoor.com/make-yo...ahedron-stand/

On my initial setup, it was really unstable, and I spent a while tweaking different suspension lengths before stepping back and thinking through the geometry. I know I saw some comments about how long to make poles or how wide to separate the bases, but it's tough to find those in these very long threads!

In a normal hammock setup, you have the heights at each end and the suspension lengths. On a tensahedron stand, you have the pole length, the suspension lengths, and the base separation. The first two are coupled through the base angle of the poles, so if you have a specific pole length and target a 90degree angle between the poles at either base point, the suspension lengths will be fully determined. The base separation is used to adjust the sit height.

So I put together an Excel sheet that calculates everything for you. This includes a dumbed down version of Derek Hansen's calculator with added information for the Tensahedron stand. A couple assumptions:
    • The poles at the two bases make a 90degree angle.
    • The hammock hang angle is 30degrees.
    • The target sit height is 18in.
    • The combined length of both hammock suspension lines is listed, and the recommended head end is 1/3 of the combined value, while the foot end is 2/3 of the combined value.

HammockCalculator.xlsx

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG The Journey
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Dutch BeetleBuckle

My build.

Finally tested mine today. Made a collapsable version, 3 pieces for each pole. 3/4 and 1" conduit. Testing with my Hennessy Leaf Lounger XL has been great, I fell asleep! Should work the same with my Explorer XL, they are supposed to be the same size.

Used peened copper tubing to channel the Amsteel soft shackles without hopefully damaging them. Pretty happy!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by HomerJ; 05-02-2021 at 16:52.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    docbrown, is that first point, "The poles at the two bases make a 90degree angle.” valid? Of course you can setup anyway you want. But I’m sure many of the photos I’ve seen of DIY Tensa stands, cross down by the foot but not necessarily at 90 degrees. I thought adjusting that angle was one of the parameters for lengthening the ridgeline distance? It can’t be too flat and it can’t be too steep, but I didn’t think it had to be at 90° to the other pole?
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

HomerJ, great job! Love that and now I want to make one too.

Sammy

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Dutch 12' Netless
    Tarp
    ProVenture Nylon
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Humming Bird style
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    docbrown, is that first point, "The poles at the two bases make a 90degree angle.” valid? Of course you can setup anyway you want. But I’m sure many of the photos I’ve seen of DIY Tensa stands, cross down by the foot but not necessarily at 90 degrees. I thought adjusting that angle was one of the parameters for lengthening the ridgeline distance? It can’t be too flat and it can’t be too steep, but I didn’t think it had to be at 90° to the other pole?
    You are correct. There is not a design requirement that this be 90 deg.

Nice Job Homer J.

As a design note: For a DIY system you may find it easier to bolt the joints than to peen a copper liner and thread with Amsteel. The appeal of symmetric parts, ease of mass manufacture, and consumer interface favor the rope joint on the commercial version, but the benefits of a rope joint do not directly translate to a DIY version. But each should do what they want.
    Last edited by jeff-oh; 05-05-2021 at 13:34.

Hammock
    banana-shaped
    Tarp
    greenish
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff-oh View Post
    As a design note: It is much easier to bolt the joints than to peen a copper liner and thread with Amsteel all the time. There is a manufacturing need for the rope joint on the commercial production product, but the need is not there for a DIY version. But each should do what they want.
    I wouldn’t characterize rope joints as artifact of “a manufacturing need,” as if a compromise foisted upon hapless users. It’s by design that it works the same on both ends of the poles, being more functionally compelling on the bottoms. It requires no tools for complete assembly or disassembly, fewer loose parts both in number and kind, and results in no protrusions like bolt heads or nut shoulders to catch on anything like a carrying sleeve. It compels no metal-to-metal contact with associated potential for wear. The symmetry promotes ease of use (there is no upside down or backwards), whose simplicity appeals to my sense of aesthetics probably as strongly as I think bolted top joints and lashed bottoms appeal to yours.

One user of the commercial version had great difficulty with the fact that the poles could cross or be assembled in any order, with connectors threading through clockwise or counterclockwise, wrapping across front or back, and then allowed for any of half a dozen line connection styles, each of the 4 corners possibly different. And it would still all work fine. Instead of this being friendly, the user found it paralyzing that there was not one and only correct sequence and method permissible at every step, and was frustrated that we withheld this instruction. I explained that I don’t think I myself had ever assembled the stand precisely the same way twice, and that even this was random instead of deliberate. To him that made everything “a mess” while to me … that’s design: simple, robust, forgiving.
    Last edited by Latherdome; 05-05-2021 at 12:12.
    --
    Tensa Outdoor, LLC, maker of the Tensa4, Tensa Solo, and Tensa Trekking Treez hammock stands: http://tensaoutdoor.com/

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG The Journey
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Dutch BeetleBuckle
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff-oh View Post
    It is much easier to bolt the joints than to peen a copper liner and thread with Amsteel all the time.
    Agreed! But where's the fun in that? ;-)

Hammock
    Dutch 12' Netless
    Tarp
    ProVenture Nylon
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Humming Bird style
    Images
    Let take another stab at my statement. See above. “a manufacturing need” does not translate to "compromise foisted upon hapless users." apologies it it was misleading.

The Manufacturing need refers to the characteristics of a manufactured product and processing that favor the rope joint solution over a bolted joint solution. Both work, both have their pros and cons in manufacture, and application. The requirement to keep unique parts at a minimum and maintain uniformity and symmetry is a critical element to keep the commercial product affordable. You are right in that the symmetry so there is no top, bottom, left or right in the assembly of the Tensa4 is an important factor.

However, this requirement has less importance for a one-off DIY version. Both solutions work, application will favor one method or the other. The DIY version presented in this thread favors the bolted joint. This DIY stand will foldup and does not need assembly or disassembly. That is why I recommended here.
    Last edited by jeff-oh; 05-06-2021 at 08:36.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG The Journey
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Dutch BeetleBuckle
    Apologies for posting something in this thread that deviates from the recommended design. I had no intention of ruffling anyone's feathers.

Hammock
    Dutch 12' Netless
    Tarp
    ProVenture Nylon
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Humming Bird style
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by HomerJ View Post
    Apologies for posting something in this thread that deviates from the recommended design. I had no intention of ruffling anyone's feathers.
    No feathers ruffled. you just got caught in a in respectful difference in design view point between Leatherdome and myself.

I point out the bolted joint option as some people do not perceive there is any other way than the rope joint. Each has pros and cons with respect to the other. And in the end it does not really matter which one an individual uses on their DIY build. This thread does not "restrict" discussion to only the bolted joint... only that I will restrict recommending the bolted joint to this thread.

I personally highly respect Leatherdome and his business partner in what they have come up with and developed. I am in awe of the business they have built and gleefully cheer them on to greater and greater success.

HOMERJ, as for you and your build. FANTASTIC!!! It looks great and I love the pictures and write up. I very much enjoyed reading and seeing your project. Thank you for attaching it to this thread that has humbly become the collection of a great variety of DIY Tensa stands. Your work adds to the value of knowledge for the bigger group. I hope all that see it and this thread are inspired and given the confidence that they to can build a Tensa stand or purchase one from Leatherdomes business.

Jeff
    Last edited by jeff-oh; 05-06-2021 at 08:38.

• + New Posts
  • Page 38 of 42 FirstFirst ... 283637383940 ... LastLast