DIY Gathered End---1.6 Hexon D
    Tarp
    HG Journey (11')
    Insulation
    DIY w/ CDTs
    Suspension
    various

Modular 2-layer Costco down top quilt

Here's my latest: a two-layer (or two one-layer) top quilt using two Costco down throws. It's based on an idea I got from blide, here: https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...hrow-Top-Quilt. Shout out, and credit where due.

modular two-layer cdt tq.jpg

I started with two full size CDTs, the horizontal seams ripped to increase loft. I folded each one in half on the longest diagonal, then turned up the bottom corner and stitched a triangular footbox, taking care to make the two quilts mirror images of one another. (This will minimize cold spots, I hope). I stitched all the way up the short side on each quilt, making two asym TQs. I made the footbox on one (on the right) slightly narrower than the other. That one goes inside. . . .
    2 quilts.jpg

Then I turned the outside quilt inside out, lined up the footboxes, and set kam snaps at the corners. The outside quilt is on the left.
    snapped together at foot end.jpg

After some experimentation, I added just two more points of attachment. One's at the midpoint of the leg-and-foot box (two short bits of mason line pulled through the fabric (of each quilt) and tied together with a square knot). The other is at the center of the head end, in the apex of the triangular gap between the two layers. (For now, it's hand stitched together. I'll go back and replace the stitching--with mason line, probably, since I don't want the bulk of a kam snap right there in the hollow of my throat).
    4 points of attachment.jpg

I'm hoping that these four attachment points will suffice. I want to minimize the compression of the down, on the one hand, and to maximize the ease with which the two modules can be separated in the event that I ever find myself wanting less insulation on top. . . .

Looks somewhat like the thinking behind the Gemini underquilt, right? Stacking quilts is said to work, and these are inexpensive enough to experiment with. Looks like another good option. These Costco quilts are like Legos.
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Journey (11')
    Insulation
    DIY w/ CDTs
    Suspension
    various
    Quote Originally Posted by sidneyhornblower View Post
    Looks somewhat like the thinking behind the Gemini underquilt, right? Stacking quilts is said to work, and these are inexpensive enough to experiment with. Looks like another good option. These Costco quilts are like Legos.
    Exactly. In fact, my UQ is a Gemini. What an elegant design that is!

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    I like what you did here. Question: does your head fit in between the "V" of the two quilts in the bottom photo?

Thank you for sharing.

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Journey (11')
    Insulation
    DIY w/ CDTs
    Suspension
    various
    Quote Originally Posted by Otter1 View Post
    I like what you did here. Question: does your head fit in between the "V" of the two quilts in the bottom photo?

Thank you for sharing.
    Yes it does. I'm 5'11" and 165#, and I'm able to lie in the hammock with my feet in the footbox, the the v-notch pulled up under my chin, and the "wings" wrapped around behind my shoulders. It's pretty cozy. (If I could sleep through the night without flopping around like a fish, I might wake up that way as well).

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Journey (11')
    Insulation
    DIY w/ CDTs
    Suspension
    various
    Update:

I have since done some more sewing (by hand) to make the two layers stay connected. Goodbye modularity, hello convenience and reliable coverage.
    Last edited by professrh; 02-23-2019 at 08:59.

Hammock
    Hammock Gear Bug
    what did you sew? Have you tested this? How cold were you able to sleep comfortable at?

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    MW Monster
    Insulation
    DIY TQ/ HG UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies
    interesting concept. Interested to see how it performs.

I made two quilts with sewn footboxes ans inserted one inside of the other. Used cam-snaps to connect the edges of the quilts. Works quite well.
    I would rather be in the woods... my dog would rather be in the pool. My wife thinks we are both nuts.

• + New Posts