Hammock Bunk house

Hello all, new here and loving it. I am designing a "bunk house" and am wanting to make it able to hang several hammocks. What spacing would you recommend for the hammocks for adults? Is there much difference for kids?
    Attachment 167309

The sleeping area is right now 12'x 18' but could be adjusted as we are in the planning stage for 1 more week. Structurally the posts will be 6x6 with bracing keeping the two sides from bowing in, think timber frame system.

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D

Hammock Bunk house

How many hammocks will be in your hammock bunkhouse?
    I’m guessing the minimum hammock span would be the hammocks structural ridgeline and some extra on both ends for attaching to timber poles-
    posts.
    At 12x18, you got that——though you might want as much as 15x20—-this will give kids and old geezers plenty of room to walk by you, with less chance of interrupting your dream time.
    Some one else wrote a thread about building a hammock hideaway not long ago. Maybe you can find their ideas too.

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    I have done this with a carport. If you stick to gathered end hammocks, 12 foot spacing will be adequate. Bridges take more. If I were starting from scratch, 18x25 is what I would build.

Mine is closed in on both sides and one end, and has a woodstove centered on the closed end. It's a treat when the weather outside is frightful.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Thank you for the info, I cannot find the other thread about the hammock hideaway. How much room should I plan between each hammock.

I may not be able to add much to the 12' as we (I'm a shop teacher) are making this in high school carpentry class and I'll have to transport this 20 miles. I might be able to go 14' but not much wider.

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    If you need more room, you can offset hammock attachments to poles-posts. Instead of going straight across, maybe attach 2 or more feet further along wall.
    Total space along wall—-you will use all available space. Six feet total for each hammock is generous. And you can reduce that until hammocks almost meet when occupied. That’s probably not consistent with peoples feeling on their personal space.

Pictures or video with people enjoying your hammocks will be great to see.

Thank you for the replies, I will get a better design drawn up and post it here for any suggestions. Then we will start construction on the "hambunk house " in a couple of weeks.

Hammock
    Freebird, HHExUL w/zip mod
    Tarp
    HM Suite, UGQ, HG
    Insulation
    WB Yeti, 5n1 Jerry
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgringo View Post
    I have done this with a carport. If you stick to gathered end hammocks, 12 foot spacing will be adequate. Bridges take more. If I were starting from scratch, 18x25 is what I would build.

Mine is closed in on both sides and one end, and has a woodstove centered on the closed end. It's a treat when the weather outside is frightful.

Sounds like a great "guest room".
    Texas Fall Group Hang 2019

Looking back to last year to reminisce and forward to post Covid-19 hangs in 2021

Texas Hammock Hangers Facebook Group

Woodsteach, post some pictures when it's done. It sounds like a great option for visitors!

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Woodsteach, post some pictures when it's done. It sounds like a great option for visitors!
    Will do. That is a secondary use, it will be located at our ranch/vineyard looking over our small pond. We will set up a campfire area outside. Just a get away place that I cannot wait to get completed!

Hammock
    Wilderness Logic Night OWL
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Pheonix 3s, te-wa
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by woodsteach View Post
    Will do. That is a secondary use, it will be located at our ranch/vineyard looking over our small pond. We will set up a campfire area outside. Just a get away place that I cannot wait to get completed!
    Good idea on a timber type frame. Here are my thoughts. What if whatever the distance came out to be, say 12', what if that dimension was to a center beam. Outside wall to center beam plus a space at the foot end that is the hall way on the hammock end of the building. It could extend 4' or 6 ' ect past that ( center beam) to the outside wall. A shed style extension that is factored into 12' and can be attached and joined accordingly. The extension would make access to each hammock easier. Space the hammocks maybe 4' apart? You could stay 12' wide and maybe squeeze four hammocks in that space. Maybe.
    I like refried beans. That's why I wanna try fried beans, because maybe they're just as good and we're just wasting time. You don't have to fry them again after all.

• + New Posts