2 Blackbird XLC 1.7 DL SL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    IncubatorSniveller
    Suspension
    Standard Warbonnet

Video - 12 miles south on AT to Harpers Ferry August 11-12, 2018

My Meetup group (Virginia Backpacking) went to the Harpers Ferry area for an overnight trip. There were 17 of us ranging in age from 9 years old to the late 60's. We started at Gathland State Park and went south about 4 miles to the Garvey AT shelter the first day. This shelter is a two story set up with plenty of tent and hammock sites around it. Water is from a spring .4 miles down from the shelter. It involved a 45 minute round trip to get water so a large container was a good thing to have in the pack.

I've attached the trip video that I produce for these outings below. What was heartening was discovering that there were 8 hammocks among the group. Several years ago I was the only hanger. It's nice to see the growth of interest in hammocks. Pics below show a family hang and my set up.

Family
    Family hang a.jpg

My set up
    my hang a.jpg

Trip video
    https://youtu.be/QdJvWOMw7GI

The second day hike lead to Weverton Cliffs overlooking the Potomac River. These would be a great destination for a hang or day trip. You'll see pictures of the overlook in the video. The last 3 miles of the hike was along the C&O canal which parallels the Potomac. The crossing near Harpers Ferry used the railroad bridge and was welcome. We got into town about 15 minutes before a large thunderstorm arrived. See picture below looking west as the storm approached. I'm glad we were in town.

24 600_473718792.jpg

Harpers Ferry is largely under Federal Govt control and it is well organized. Most of us made a note that we want to return to the area to explore Harpers Ferry more thoroughly and to take advantage of the Potomac River floats offered.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by JSH; 08-17-2018 at 10:20.

• + New Posts