Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by hutzelbein View Post
    Oh wow, what a pity. I have always been hoping for a 1.0oz HyperD XL version. It's my absolute favorite fabric for a double layer hammock. Have you been seeing failures in double layer hammocks, too? I think it's sad that the choice in 1.0/1.1oz fabrics will be limited just because some people feel the need to shave grams in the wrong places. If the lightest fabrics available are 1.6oz, it will make double layer hammocks a lot heavier.

Will you be phasing out the MTN 1.1 ripstop, too?
    My sense is that 1.0 HyperD is not specifically a hammock fabric, it has many other applications, while Robic 1.0 was designed primarily for hammock applications. So, I'd expect HyperD to stick around. Obviously, Kyle knows better than I do!
    Caminante, son tus huellas el camino y nada más... - Antonio Machado

Thank you for the reply, I have never heard of robric this thin. Is your 7d, 1.2 and 1.7 robric made from genuine robric fibers?

Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge
    Quote Originally Posted by FL Rebel View Post
    Thank you for the reply, I have never heard of robric this thin. Is your 7d, 1.2 and 1.7 robric made from genuine robric fibers?
    Just to help Kyle clarify...
    ROBIC is the name of a yarn. Easier thought of as thread.

The fabric is what you get when you weave all the yarn into roll of finished material.

It's a bit like discussing Coats, or wally world generic vs Gutermann. facial tissue vs Kleenex.

You'll note on Kyle's website that ROBIC and X-Pac have the "R" for registered trade mark.

Kyle further lists the exact yarn used in each fabric... something notable in the Hybrid line of fabric like the 1.2 which uses two different weights of yarn.
    Weight ~1.2 oz/yd 2
    Denier Hybrid 20D x 80D
    Yarn ROBIC® nylon 6

Besides the thread- you also have to find a mill that can weave your fabric to your design.
    I don't think there are more than a few mills in the world that will run any material below 1.0 finished weight so that in itself is what is rare.
    The yarn is common enough- but getting someone to weave it for you to those specs is tough.

Lining up enough idiots to try fabric that light in a load bearing application isn't exactly an issue for the global supply chain. So for the most part Kyle is flying solo on trying that stuff.

It doesn't always make sense either. I'm not going to claim any serious fabric manufacturing expertise... but I do build some very light hammocks.
    I prefer hanging in Membrane 10 (.67 ounce 10D material) to the Robic .74 7d.
    In theory the Robic 7d should be better... but it's not.

The Robic 1.0 is better fabric from a strength to weight ratio to other 1.0 ounce options. I build Micro Bridges out of those and it works.
    I suspect the greatest issue with this fabric was at the mill. The equipment was likely pushed too far and there were some misfeeds or skipped weaves as the failures were very random. I had zero bridges fail and one customer in a GE had theirs rip at the shoulder area under little or no pressure. I only put out about 25 pieces of gear to customers.

The Robic 1.2 is a good solution and a very nice fabric. Realistically most folks are not looking to shave the ounce and change difference in an 11' GE to risk it.
    Those that do want to push it... I say Membrane 10 or Membrane 15.

Overall- Robic is a name brand of yarn. Nothing much more than that really. That's opposed to generic Nylon 6 or Nylon 6.6 (Robic yarn comes in different weights too).
    I'm not convinced it's the robic yarn itself... but rather Kyle's choice to build a hybrid fabric that is the real innovation.
    But much like I use only Gutermann thread in my stuff... makes sense for Kyle to trust a name brand yarn to build his flagship fabrics with. Perhaps there is a clear advantage fabric wizards or engineers know better than I. But as a carpenter I'm more concerned with what the material is like to work with and what I can build with it than exactly what the lab tests show.

Hammock
    yes please
    Tarp
    HG cuben w/ doors
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Phoenix
    Suspension
    kevlar straps
    Quote Originally Posted by FL Rebel View Post
    Only the finest genuine robic fibers hand harvested from Madagascar lemur armpits.

Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge
    As a side note... pure guess on my part but:
    I suspect the reason the Membrane 10 and M15 do better for my SUL hammocks is the LACK of ripstop grid.
    Other than a mill issue, the most likely reason for failure would be that the RS grid took load and failed... then dumped the weight onto an incompletely woven fabric.

Because the M10 has no ripstop grid... every yarn is (mostly) loaded equally and spreads the load out. If the fabric deflects or deforms... the whole fabric does so... not just the RS grid.

My thoughts at least.

Too big a gamble for Kyle... but I suspect a plain weave Robic 1.0 might do better than the 8 way diamond.

Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge
    Quote Originally Posted by Kroma View Post
    Only the finest genuine robic fibers hand harvested from Madagascar lemur armpits.
    Coastal ones only.
    While a small island... it's been found that Lemurs who inhabit the interior have inferior fibers.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    Robic is exclusively manufactured for RSBTR, so if you're buying from them, you are getting genuine Robic fabric.
    Robic is actually a brand name of yarn...like cordura, dyneema etc, so any fabric manufacturer can purchase Robic brand yarn and weave that into Robic fabric.

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Brandon is correct.

The first time I heard of Robic was on a "new" iteration of packs that Gossamer Gear came out with years ago.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    MW Monster
    Insulation
    DIY TQ/ HG UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies
    Will the real ROBIC please stand up! I have a DIY 1.7 that I leaving hanging out side under the cover of shade all summer...for several summers and no issues. Love that stuff. I'd like to make a Chameleon clone of if 1.7.
    I would rather be in the woods... my dog would rather be in the pool. My wife thinks we are both nuts.

I appreciate everyone's answers but I would like to hear from the guru himself.
    Kyle, I have never seen Robic this light weight. Yes or no, is your 7d, 1.2 and 1.7 genuine robic fabric?

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast