View Poll Results: Which denier is best on the exterior of an UQ?

Voters
5. You may not vote on this poll
  • 20D @ 1.1oz/yd^2, ~1cfm

1 20.00%
  • 10D @ .65oz/yd^2 ,~10cfm

3 60.00%
  • 7D @ .50oz/yd^2, ~35cfm

1 20.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    If you're determined to do this I'd say just go ahead and give it a shot.

But measure the girth and see how the numbers add up. I can envision that the sides of the hammock are going to require a lot more girth and will hold the Convert off of you, thereby seriously compromising insulating ability. But if you take a short Z-lite pad you will have a back-up strategy. Maybe not ideal but it'll get you thru the night.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge
    I use 9'6", 9'9" and 10' hammocks for UL backpacking, though I'd say 58" or so is plenty wide.

Get the hammock. See if you like it.

The issue with a pod system is that you have to sleep more in line than you might like... especially in a shorter hammock.
    You may also have to sleep a bit more upright than you might prefer.
    You'll find some information on this site about different pod systems and I recall a Shug video someplace as well.
    It's not physically impossible... but there's a reason many don't do it.

As soon as you start to sleep on a diagonal, you will force the sides of the hammock apart in such a manner that no matter how tightly you pull that drawcord you won't seal it up.

The other issue... you don't have a good way to vent the system. So your effective comfort range is likely in the 25-35* range... pretty narrow.

Once you have the hammock; get a spare bed sheet and some safety pins and try to replicate the convert with the bedsheet.
    That's a cheap experiment to try before you dump $350+ on a convert.
    Even cheaper experiment if you manage to get it roughly situated and then shift position in the night and damage said quilt.

The other thought... lets call it best case and it "works"
    In hammock mode- you have a 28 ounce pod system... plus any parts and pieces you add to make it work/attach it.

on the ground-
    A big wide convert will leave you with a comforter big enough for a full size bed... likely overkill.

As an alternative-
    a 20* enigma will weigh 19 ounces.
    A short revolt in 20* will weigh 14.5 ounces.
    As a package... it puts you 5.5 ounces heavier in hammock mode (assuming zero additional weight to hang your convert)
    But you know it will all work.

In Ground mode... other than a pad strap kit if you want it... you're down nearly 10 ounces and quite a bit of bulk.
    Plus your quilt won't be spilling all over the shelter or ground. If you cowboy camp or use a bivy at all- there is such a thing as too much top quilt IMO.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12