View Poll Results: Which denier is best on the exterior of an UQ?

Voters
5. You may not vote on this poll
  • 20D @ 1.1oz/yd^2, ~1cfm

1 20.00%
  • 10D @ .65oz/yd^2 ,~10cfm

3 60.00%
  • 7D @ .50oz/yd^2, ~35cfm

1 20.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    Eno Doublenest
    Suspension
    20M Amsteel whoopi

Advice on EE Convert Fabrics

I camp and hang here in California and have 3 tents and an Eno double. I'll be ordering a Hummingbird Hammocks single+ to shed 12 oz and I'm looking for insulation to match. I'm presently in love with the idea of a 20deg 78"X58"-38" EE convert to keep me warm both in the air and on the ground and would like your thoughts on the matter. I plan to support the EE convert by its 10 snap/clip loops using shock cord in a fashion similar to the EE Revolt UQ, beneath me in my hammock. Is 10Denier too breathable of a fabric choice for a large pod/uq, and I should go with 20D exterior? I'm worried that the 10 denier exterior wont provide sufficient wind protection. I love the colors in 10D and if I were only using the Convert in a tent I would get the 10D or even 7D without hesitation, but hanging in the open air is a different game. Can anyone with experience in these thinner fabrics comment on the issue of windchill, thanks!

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema
    Insulation
    HG UQ, Custom TQ
    Suspension
    Yes
    10d fabrics are commonly used on underquilts, as are 20d. See also Argon 67 & 90. However, I think you’ll have more issues than fabric choice using the Convert as a pod.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    I have a 20 deg Revolt with 10D shell and it works fine for me at the advertised temp rating. Used it in moderate wind with no problems.

I don't know if the idea of using a Convert as a UQ is advisable, but hey it might work, or it could end up being an expensive experiment.

However, even if the Convert works as hoped in the UQ role, you're still going to need a TQ, so perhaps best to buy a 'proper' TQ/UQ set??

And my vote would be for 7D but I'm one of those crazy UL people. I have a 30deg Enigma 7D/950fp and it is the neatest thing ever.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Eno Doublenest
    Suspension
    20M Amsteel whoopi
    I would get the 7D option but I'm worried a stiff breeze will skew the temp rating too much. The EE Convert is only 8 inches wider than the EE Revolt UQ and I'm hoping to be able to partially or fully close it above me if I feel the need to. I still plan to do all of my poor-weather backpacking with one of my three tents. However the hammock is a fantastic way to cut weight when the weather is nice. If I find I have an excessive gap between my back and the Convert I can suspend it using a clew type suspension, right? The alternative is that I buy an underquilt and a top quit to meet my hammock needs, then get a third piece of insulation for ground camping.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    The alternative is that I buy an underquilt and a top quit to meet my hammock needs, then get a third piece of insulation for ground camping.
    Whatever route you take, I'm guessing this is where you'll end up.

But again, you're going to need both TQ and UQ so IMHO there's no need to make things more difficult by trying to get a hybrid sleeping bag/quilt to also work as an underquilt. I've never even thought of trying it, but I just don't see the pod thing working out.

As many have discovered, there is no single, do-it-all solution. Which is why most people end up with multiple hammocks, quilts and tarps for different seasons, locations and conditions.

And if I'm looking at the correct link, the Hummingbird single is 8.5 feet long — are you sure this is going to work for you?
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge
    I wouldn't worry about wind.... worth keeping in mind that most (if not all) windshells for backpacking are 15d material or lighter.
    Being calendared and downproof pretty well does the job.

The only concern in my opinion is if you hang in brush often (stealth camp) where you'll run the risk of swinging against underbrush regularly. For that you might want the heavier shell rather than adding an UQ protector since we are talking lighter weight overall. Much lighter to size up to a 15d or 20d shell than add a full layer.

I also concur with Cmoulder's opinion... do it all usually means doing it all crappy.
    Top quilts work fine on the ground and would be lighter than an oversized monster convert.

Hammock
    Eno Doublenest
    Suspension
    20M Amsteel whoopi
    I'm considering the single+which is 9'8'', the Hummingbird single is a bit too small for my preferences. I get that everyone is a fan of an insulating layer purpose built only for hammocks (TQ/UQ). What I don't understand is why a quilt/bag can't comfortably fill that same role. The convert has pad attachment clips as well as snaps down the length of the zipper for holding the edges of the quilt together or the quilt to the pad. It seems reasonable to run some cord through those fabric loops and suspend the Convert beneath the hammock. The convert is 8" wider than the revolt, 13" longer and 5oz heavier @23.3oz (reg/reg/20deg) which may allow for some "dead" air space (unless suspended with clews) but it has draw cords to close ether end, and a baffle construction similar to UGQ's Zeppelin quilts. What might I have overlooked? Is the semi-rec shape a dealbreaker? Is the trapped air space going to really be that impactful? In backpacking its commonplace to have items fill multiple roles (sit pads, bandanas, raingear/packcovers, trekking poles, ect.) there is no shortage of manufacturers out there making down insulation and many that do a great job. Why would I be leery of seeking a multi-role piece of down insulation?

I think the Convert would do a adequate job doubling as a TQ in the hammock and as a top for a pad on the ground. But then you still need the UQ! An UQ has suspension to facilitate hugging the hammock bottom. I wouldn't want that stuff around me if I were, heaven forbid, on the ground.

If you're upgrading from an ENO and looking into higher end insulation, etc., why wouldn't you look to a hammock in the 11' range (unless you're on the small side) ?

Hammock
    11' Dutchware Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    LLG TQ/UQ 10*
    Suspension
    Dutchware Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by TominMN View Post
    I think the Convert would do a adequate job doubling as a TQ in the hammock and as a top for a pad on the ground. But then you still need the UQ! An UQ has suspension to facilitate hugging the hammock bottom. I wouldn't want that stuff around me if I were, heaven forbid, on the ground.

If you're upgrading from an ENO and looking into higher end insulation, etc., why wouldn't you look to a hammock in the 11' range (unless you're on the small side) ?
    I concur with this. The convert is a great double-duty quilt for both ground and hammocking. I have one and love it. I got it in 10D on both inner and outer. Get the Convert and get an UQ

Hammock
    Eno Doublenest
    Suspension
    20M Amsteel whoopi
    Tell me a bit more about your Convert! I've been eyeing them for the past 3-4months now. Could you recommend going with the 7D interior? Ive heard the breathability is quite nice. Are there indeed 10 small fabric loops (5 per side) adjacent the zipper for pad attachment and such that might accommodate cordage to suspend it should I choose? How much of the length was lost when the ends are closed on yours? What can you reccomend for a hat at night?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast